R10 Auto see parts wanted
  • Register
  • Help

Default R10 Auto see parts wanted

Can any one help.
    I would like to buy a R10 auto Trans To put into my R10
    Is there any way of maybe converting the manual casing to except a R12 or R16 auto internals?
    David Mc

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc
    Can any one help.
    I would like to buy a R10 auto Trans To put into my R10
    Is there any way of maybe converting the manual casing to except a R12 or R16 auto internals?
    David Mc
    As Colliers told you in your other message, the Jaeger electric clutch R10 was never sold in AUS, and they were apparently fairly difficult to fix now so sourcing one from OS would be rather difficult.

As for retrofitting an R12/16 one into an R10. It probably comes under the heading of difficult and complex, not to mention expensive if you don't do it yourself.

Firstly you would need an R16 one to get the diff driving in the right direction.

Secondly you would need to adapt a new rear suspension set up for double jointed driveshafts as the swing axles would not be able to be adapted to the auto trans casing. This has been done before by Damien in his turbo 10 installing a 16 gearbox I think, and I think by French Connection in Melbourne. Probably for road use that would require engineering approval.

Thirdly, you would have to decide early on what motor you want to use. As the auto trans casings for a 12 and 16 are unique to each motor from bellhousing to diff casing. And if you decide to keep the 10 motor or install a 12 or 1.4, the 16 diff will need to be installed in the 12 casing as the 12 diff would rotate in the wrong direction, and the diff can't just be flopped over t'other side.

Then things like the T-bar selector just take time and patience to adapt properly.

Overall, I'm sure your health is probably not as bad as you think. But I'm sure funds could be better spent on making life comfortable for yourself so you can enjoy memories of R10 motoring rather than worrying when your auto trans will be installed, and if it will function correctly.

Fellow Frogger!

Default auto R10

An auto 10 would go quite well, my wifes auto R12 is great to drive and the top gear ratio is better than the manuals, I think a 16 auto trans wouldnt be that hard to mount to a 1.4 engine, think they are the same trans, so driven plates and bell housings might swap, then you negotiate the axles, would be a large job but not impossible. I've met some drive shaft guys who seem to work miracles at times. I know a chap who might do the job in Brisbane, regards, fish. p.s. when did Simon get his M.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish
    An auto 10 would go quite well, my wifes auto R12 is great to drive and the top gear ratio is better than the manuals, I think a 16 auto trans wouldnt be that hard to mount to a 1.4 engine, think they are the same trans, so driven plates and bell housings might swap, then you negotiate the axles, would be a large job but not impossible. I've met some drive shaft guys who seem to work miracles at times. I know a chap who might do the job in Brisbane, regards, fish. p.s. when did Simon get his M.D.
    Fish, I'm not quite Managing Director yet, but the future? Who knows?

Also a 16 gearbox is an impossibility to bolt up to a 1.4 motor. The combined bellhousing/diff casing which is one piece has to be replaced with the bellhousing/diffcasing from the 12 auto trans for it to mate. So basically a total rebuild of the trans is required. Not quite as simple as swapping the bellhousing on a 15/17 gearbox to make it fit a 12 motor, otherwise as you say they are basically the same trans.

One other thought, a 12/16 auto trans is larger in the casing than the manual trans, so a reasonable amount of work would be required to the 10 body to provide clearance and space, which may render the existing rear seat useless. Nothing that a couple of Recaro's in the rear couldn't fix though.

Fellow Frogger!

Default to Simon

Gidday Simon, my comment on the PH.D. was in referal to your diagnosis of the r10 guys health, mmmm

as for the trans, i presumed a rebuild anyway so whats hard about swapping parts that fit

as for the body space, I cut slots in the floor/body, and let it down on a curved drum shaoe, eg a log, after the adjustment, weld it up, like my dad said of me, son, what you lack in sophistication, you make up in brutality.

i think it would be easier than some things i've done, and most of them worked.

I have a R8 at present that i'm just doing the 1'4, weber. lowered and wheels thing with, if i can ever finish my clio triplet experience that is consuming much time, air bags aren't fun. regards, fish

Icon12

I drove an automatic R10 in greece a few yrs back and thought it was great, better than an R12 automatic in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    I drove an automatic R10 in greece a few yrs back and thought it was great, better than an R12 automatic in my opinion...
    Daniel,

You'd be one of the few. Would you like to write a short article about how it performed and what it was like?

Interesting blind alley, that rear auto system, very interesting. One of the many issues was the brushes that contacted the flywheel, which of course runs at engine speed!

JohnW

Quote Originally Posted by Fish
    Gidday Simon, my comment on the PH.D. was in referal to your diagnosis of the r10 guys health, mmmm

as for the trans, i presumed a rebuild anyway so whats hard about swapping parts that fit

as for the body space, I cut slots in the floor/body, and let it down on a curved drum shaoe, eg a log, after the adjustment, weld it up, like my dad said of me, son, what you lack in sophistication, you make up in brutality.

i think it would be easier than some things i've done, and most of them worked.

I have a R8 at present that i'm just doing the 1'4, weber. lowered and wheels thing with, if i can ever finish my clio triplet experience that is consuming much time, air bags aren't fun. regards, fish
    Fish,

Nothing's impossible of course. But some things aren't sensible. Just my view. Especially if you're looking for a less difficult drive when health isn't what you'd like it to be.

I see my R8 is becoming an even rarer original one!

JohnW

Thread Information