I'm loving my RSC - had it for 3 weeks now and it's fantastic!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default I'm loving my RSC - had it for 3 weeks now and it's fantastic!

I'm really happy with my choice of cars...could have gone with an older model WRX for the same price, but the clio is really nice inside, and a real sleeper on the road, so much punch out of a 2L NA engine! I haven't even been able to get the stability control to kick in yet, and I've been trying a bit....I've noticed that I have no problem getting wheels spin...does this system only work when you're turning?

Anyway, I think I got a good deal.

$28K - 02 model (03 complied), cruise + tinting 30000k on clock, excellent condition, it's basically brand new

Advertisement

I like how when you throw it into a corner the car doesn't give you the understeer apparent in many FWD cars, it's a very well balanced vehicle.

I can hear the airbox working, when I gas it there's a slight sound of sucking air...is this normal?

LOVING IT!
    Last edited by janus; 19th August 2004 at 06:09 PM.

Nah, you shouldn't be happy. The 180 is better, or the 6... because the driving position is crap and...

Just kidding, so many threads recently that have gone that way recently, it just felt like the right thing to do!

Nice work on the car. It is a very sweet vehicle

Janus - Great choice on vehicle, they are a really good car The sucking noise you speak of is normal, well at least it does the same on mine! I think it sounds pretty cool though, and mine is really only audible from around 5k rpm onwards...
    JoJo

Yeah hearing the airbox sucking awya is normal.

Great little car aren't they. the sleeper appeal they have is awesome. i have owned mine for nearly 4 months and i find that i am still taking the long was home just so i can drive it more.

good choice, now all you need to do is go and hunt down some DC5 interga's and Wrx's and give them a surprise.

Last night I went for a drive, I've been getting used to the grip etc so I was pushing the car harder than I have before. Anyway, I went into a corner pretty hot and felt some understeer after the apex while accelerating out, the front wheels started to slide, but the ESP didn't do anything, I ended up having to let off the throttle to regain grip to exit the corner. The ESP light never flashed once (at least I'm pretty sure it didn't, I was watching the road most of the time).

I'm just worried that the ESP system is faulty or not working at all, when I was at the snow, driving in the snow if I floored the throttle, the ESP would kick in to slow the car, but on normal tarmac and even in the wet, I can get wheelspin off the lights and in corners I'm just not confident that the system's working...

Anyone got any comments or advice? When the ESP light on the dash is off, it means the system's on doesn't it..

Icon14 Could not agree More Great little Jigger

I have had my 2002 Flame red RSC for about 4 weeks absolutly rapt in the car. I like the subtlety of the 172 nothing that says race me Except "sport" on the boot.
    I rather like the whole package they have a real business like nature and Quick! but relaxed.
    As for the induction noise -enjoy-
    How is your first thing cold, mine is rather hesitant for the first k or so The dealer said live withit its is apolution setup to heat the cat quickly. B anoying
    Graeme

Driving it cold from startup, I haven't noticed that it's hesitant...but then I don't really rev it up much before the engine temp gets up to around the midpoint on the dial.

I just love how much punch the engine puts out, even at low revs.

What's your experience with the ESP system?

The ESP system is great. I have been getting it to come on every now and then. I over cooked it into a sweeper that tightened the other day - it came on at 100km/h, and what would probably have resulted in some 4 wheel slide action in the Pug just stuck to the road. Hmmm... I'm not sure if I like it or not in this instance - I think it would be better off for really hard driving/track work - but I think it is good for daily driving, and especially wet weather.

If you really want to test it, wait til it is wet, go up to about 40, and then rip the car into a u-turn like you would in the dry. It will start to understeer, and then the ESP should cut in, and correct it quite surprisingly.

If you really want to test it, wait til it is wet, go up to about 40, and then rip the car into a u-turn like you would in the dry. It will start to understeer, and then the ESP should cut in, and correct it quite surprisingly

Good point- thats usually the best way to do it. I remember getting to work remarkably well when punching out and travelling all way around a small round-a-bout absolutley flat chat in first and almost winding up in hitting the middle of the round-a-bout cause it worked so well against the understeer. That was when I still had my licence of course... before the whole 128kmh (which is 38 over for a red p plater). Now when i drive, i try to be sensible so the cops dont pull me over and check my licence number

Gotta love the car though... When I brought mine, after test driving everything from Mini to Mazda 6 and Honda Accord Euro, and the oh so crap RS Impreza (really needs a turbo), I thought i was making a pretty good decision. Now, in hindsight, the car suits my needs so perfectly that if i brought anything else, it would have been a let down or a comprimise. Especially the Corolla Sportivo - 144kw and an absoulte torqueless heap of garbage. Clio would mur - diddley - urder any Sportivo you plonk next to it. Thats one of my favorite cars to blow off... im rambling again

Is it possible to get the 'cup' suspension pack put on a regular RSC? What would be the cost and who would I contact to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by janus
    Is it possible to get the 'cup' suspension pack put on a regular RSC? What would be the cost and who would I contact to do it?
    You'd have to Speak to Renault about that. Not sure if they'd do it for you.
    I can't see any problems with fitting it however.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    good choice, now all you need to do is go and hunt down some DC5 interga's and Wrx's and give them a surprise.
    Forget the DC5, the DC2 is still the Type R. DC5 is weak. Go find a 180 and take it down. Those 17"s look hideous!
    Karl
    -----------------

I just spoke to a guy at Renault, he said he doesn't recommend aftermarket suspension due to warranty issues, and they don't offer the 'cup' package as an aftermarket option.

I've had a look on the Eibach website, I wouldn't mind getting some spacers, then getting a fatter tyre (+rim) to improve grip...though grip levels are already sensational.

Forget it, go and get your self a set of Eibach springs that goes straight on to the original struts, about 800 bucks including fitting they should improve ride as well amazingly. Or Eibach Bilstine coil overs if you have the cash.
    Karl
    -----------------

Has anyone raced a 180 in their RSC? What's the comparison between the two?

What are coil overs?

I just spoke to a guy at Renault, he said he doesn't recommend aftermarket suspension due to warranty issues, and they don't offer the 'cup' package as an aftermarket option.
    That's bull, unless they can prove what ever is broken is directly due to the aftermarket parts they HAVE TO, by law give you warranty on what ever is broken. So if say your wheel fell off while driving, they can't just write it off as you have some springs fitted, unless they find that these springs... some how managed to lose your wheel while driving, its Renault's fault and warranty you get.
    Karl
    -----------------

Has anyone raced a 180 in their RSC? What's the comparison between the two?
    Mine left him eating and chocking in dust and noise. I think he was still running in his car, it errrmmm... let's just say he miss shifted. And hence it didn't perform to its expectations... those chewing noise of a gear box are not pretty sounds you want to hear from your brand new electric blue hot hatch with hideous wheels.

by coil overs I'm just refering to a complete suspension pack that includes the springs and shocks. Too lzy to say all that.

If you want to knwo more about these mechanical stuff go here

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_s...tech_index.htm

it has everythign you need to know... almost
    Karl
    -----------------

Cheers dude. Hey, my RSC looks the same as yours. Does your ESP kick in often or is it difficult to tell if it's operating?

Cheers dude. Hey, my RSC looks the same as yours. Does your ESP kick in often or is it difficult to tell if it's operating?
    well if you have a silver one, you'd hope so! hehe
    my ESP kicks in very late, in dry conditions. It doesn't really put off driving as such so i leave it on for safety reasons. But in the wet it s adiferent sotry, that's mainly due to the lack of wet capabilities in the Michelin rubbers that are stock on these cars.
    Karl
    -----------------

Have you considered any upgrades to your RSC? They're great cars aren't they! I'm loving mine! I just sit at work wishing I was driving.

I haven't found the Michelin tyres to be too bad. What's in your opinion the best tyre?

Have you considered any upgrades to your RSC? They're great cars aren't they! I'm loving mine! I just sit at work wishing I was driving.

I haven't found the Michelin tyres to be too bad. What's in your opinion the best tyre?
    I have EBC pads and a BMC CDA replacemetn airbox for the car...
    http://www.texen.com.au/karl/na190.html you can see all the pictures blah blah... with the airbox the car sounds fantastic quiet a few peopel can nod yes to that one hehehe.

Tyres... well tyres are very personal things I think. But I have driven on Michelins with both cars I have owned thus far in life, and I find them fantastic. All bridgestones i've driven on, from the cheapo civic econ stuff to performance pottenza on the DC2 Type R, are noisy, harsh and dont' last long. The type R wasn't driven as hard as the clio, no where near. but the tyre ran out in 180000 km. My clio is approaching 20 and the tyre has just started showing some loss of grip.

Dunlop I find are very good tyres as an alternative, the ones on the current XR8 which I abused for 3 days were fantastic, plus friends have had them ont heir cars. I find Dunlops to be just good honest tyres that are as good or better then your rice Yokohamas (you know what i mean witht he ads and the movies stickers etc), but cheaper.

I would get Flaken, Khumo... I simply don't like the brands, no other reason for it. But a mate of mine with an APR tuned A3 turbo has Khumo 18".... he hates them from day 1... i drove his car around... zero grip. Int he mountain i was chasing him, all i can hear is his tyre... and my nosie

hope that helps.
    Karl
    -----------------

Performance wize, do you feel the BMC CDA was a good investment?

Sorry, just reading your site, you've already answered my question...loving the site by the way
    Last edited by janus; 20th August 2004 at 06:59 PM.

Performance wize, do you feel the BMC CDA was a good investment?

Sorry, just reading your site, you've already answered my question...loving the site by the way
    cool no worries. PM me if you want to ask anything at all, or email me. But i can only give you my own opinion.
    Karl
    -----------------

1000+ Posts

ESP...
    real pain in the butt...

limits power when coming out of a corner....
    also have some fun in the wet, come into a corner & just hook it heaps... waaaaay too much... & it'll start to think... fun to experiment with, wouldnt rely on it though!

dont bother modding... do your driving courses first!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information