Modified R8/R10.
  • Register
  • Help

Icon6 Modified R8/R10.

Hey everyone my first post.
    I was looking through the Vic Renault carclub web site and found a supercharged rear engined R10 and he lists the gearbox as R16 with R12 wishbones etc .
    My question to Damien Gardner or anyone else is, HOW IS THIS DONE?
    I have modified R10s and have yet to find a way of mounting another gearbox that could take the power of a larger engine.
    This single hurdel has stopped me from modifing my current R10 round light as the only thing to interst me after doing the R5 alpine engine before is a larger engine EG: Clio twin cam or 2lt something or other.
    If some one can explain the how too's I'll start moding straight away.
    These little cars have proven to be excellent except for the limited power out put due to the gearbox limitations.
    Thanks David Mc

Advertisement

If you can find Damien's personal website address (unfortunately I don't have it) he has a lot of details and photos on there. Try a search on his name and I think his website is listed on the bottom of his posts.

He did a fair amount of mods though.

Given the rarity of round eyes these days, are you sure you want to do that?

surely a modded Alpine engine would be as good if not better?

Kevin.

Default To Renault8/10

Thanks for that I'll do a search.
    Idealy I would like to keep the swing axle set up , of course stronger
    but I'm unsure if the Coliers conversion 16 diff into 10 gearbox would be strong enough for say
    170kw aka Honda S2000 engine.
    cheers for now.

G'day David,
    The 2L could be made legal in a 10 in QLD, but I think trying to work around swing axles and their gearboxes would be making things difficult. A gearbox from an A310 or GTA Alpine would certainly be strong enough, but would then require major engineering. One offs are always difficult to do, and get passed.
    Years ago Brian Symons fitted a 16 TX 5 speed and upper and lower wishbones to his Dauphine, by making a cradle each side of the gearbox to support the arms and the gearbox. Honestly, a stretched 16TS (1860cc)with quad throttle injection would be fast and reliable enough with a Collier box, and not too hard, or as costly in engineering some of the swaps mentioned. The fitting of a 16 diff in the box is not so hard, the way they do it, and then you can just buy the modified unis from Colliers.
    Surely flat 13s is fast enough in a 10,and it all gets a bit scary over 200 in one of these cars.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Hey good to hear from you Alan.
    I was just on the phone to Ian Both and he tells me you baught a new toy overseas, lucky man.
    I would dearly like to run things by you as the itch has caught up with me again and would like to get a 10 goin hard.
    But as Renault 8and10 put it " it would be a shame to do it to the round light 10 so maybe another 10 or 8 or even a 4cv.
    I hear your one is fantastic.
    If your goin next friday night for the drive night at renault springwood I may see you there.
    cheers for now
    David Mc

Default Renault Gearbox

FWIW... more than a few years ago (when I was a much youger man) a bloke was running a modified 4.4 litre P76 alloy V8 in an open wheeler in hillclimbs and putting around 290 BHP and heaps of torque through a standard, converted to drive the right way, R16 transaxle and drive shafts and I can't recall him having any failures. He ran this for quite a number of season with pretty fair success.

JYD

All of these cars mentioned (10, 8, 4CV) are rare now, and I think even if they are saved to be modified, it is much better than just sitting there rotting away to never be "restored". Also a 10 is the easiest of these cars to do this work to as it has the most room to play with, and not a lot of extra weight to show for it.

I took my 750 to the 4CV Muster in Corowa, and was a little worried it would not be accepted, but the Register members thought it was great, and took hundreds of photos, just happy to see another one on the road.

See you at the Renault dealer night.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by JY Dog
    FWIW... more than a few years ago (when I was a much youger man) a bloke was running a modified 4.4 litre P76 alloy V8 in an open wheeler in hillclimbs and putting around 290 BHP and heaps of torque through a standard, converted to drive the right way, R16 transaxle and drive shafts and I can't recall him having any failures. He ran this for quite a number of season with pretty fair success.

JYD
    http://www.imps4ever.info/specials/v8/feck.html

There's also this guy in New Zealand running a Hillman Imp with a 350CI Chevy V8 through a Fuego gear box. Also has a R12 gear box fitted to a 3800 V6 Holden motor. If you read the text, it appears he was running the V8 with an R12 box for a while (until it broke, wonder why).

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Getting off the original topic a bit but the V8 imp thing reminded me of another v8 conversion.
    A guy here in NZ (south island I think) used to race boats. He gave it up and was looking for something to occupy his time so he removed the V8 and vee drive out of the boat and stuck the whole lot into a Dauphine.
    Its been mentioned a couple of times in local magazines etc but I bumped into a guy at a hillclimb a couple of months ago who used to know the owner.

According to him this car was frightenly quick. The V8 (not sure what make)was mounted in the back seat, driving forward through a gearbox which was next to the drivers seat, short driveshaft to the vee drive then back to a solid rear axle. Goodness knows why he chose to do it that way but apparently in worked.

I guess all you need is some imagination, some money, lots of spare time and a few brave pills.

Ross

1000+ Posts

Sorry to take it even further and not even froggy, but I'm also a Mini fan (REAL Minis) and occasionally will pick up Mini mags. One had a Mini shell with a mid engined 1290-odd cc Suzuki Hayabusa motor in it driving through a chain driven LSD, but as if that wouldn't be enough for 600 odd kilos, they turbo'd the car (all professionally done). Anyway, bottom line was that they are getting 345bhp out of it and it does wheelies each gear change - described as 'intimidating' to drive. The performance is quoted as very similar to the bike the engine came out of...

Stuey

Keeping along a similar, but all Renault thread. There was 750 with a mid mounted supercharged 16TS motor that Don Tozer used to compete in at Collingrove Hillclimb. It was a real monster, probably not quite 345 monsters, but still in the intimidating class :-)

Thread Information