Fuego Suspension mods Part 1
  • Register
  • Help
    Administrator

Default Fuego Suspension mods Part 1

This could be an ongoing story so I'll make this Part 1

Ever since changing my shocks at 200K (even though they weren't leeking and felt good) the car hasn't quite felt the same, it's alright, but not as good as it was prior to the shocker change.

Advertisement

It feels a bit floaty over low frequency humps and just doesn't feel as good on the road.

After checking the dampers recently for leaks (none) and the rest of the front end, I started to do a bit of searching on the net and I noticed that all manufacturers offer only one generic damper to suit all Fuego's.

The problem is, a 2.0 dourvin powered Fuego probably has 100 kg more hanging infront of the axle line than say a base model 1.4 Fuego.

Add to the mix the fact that my wheel and tyre combination is probably a bit heavier than standard and I was starting to think I might be on to something.

So off to Caravelle I went and I asked Ken if I could feel a Renault Fuego damper and a R18 damper.

Not all that much different...hmmm...A fuego is alot firmer than an 18...

I then asked if I could have a look at a R25 damper...an absolute shit load firmer on both bump and rebound than the Fuego damper.

Now a 25 has the same engine hanging over the front axle as a Fuego, and weighs 200 kg more than a Fuego, but I think most of that weight is from the extra length, rear doors, and heavier tailgate assembly. The 25 also has a larger wheel and tyre package than a standard Fuego (but similar to mine).

I compared the Fuego and 25 Damper and the 25 damper body is actually slightly shorter.

The main difference is the spring plate mount height and design. The 25 is a fair bit lower and has a different diameter.

So after a bit of thought and alot of procrastinating, I'm going to bite the bullet and shove a set of R25 dampers into the old Fuego.

I'm going to get a modified spring plate made up so I can use the standard Fuego springs and standard R25 dampers.
    Note: I'm going to set the spring plate 1 inch lower on the damper body which should equate to roughly 2 inches lower at the wheel arch

I have no idea what it's going to be like on the road, but I will keep you posted and take some happy snaps as I go...

any developments on your suspension ?
    I too have replaced my shocks and feel the floatiness you talk of.
    I'm keen to hear of a fix.
    jo

Administrator

G'day,

I have done a bit more research, and the 25 dampers will definately it and will have the added bonus of a bit more compression travel.

I am going to get a set of standard rate springs made up instead of modifying the spring plate.

I'll take some photos of the different components as well as spring rate and uncompressed length.

I'll also let you know how much it all costs and how it feels on the road...

Thread Information