Clio 182 Top Gear review
  • Register
  • Help

Default Clio 182 Top Gear review

The last segment in this weeks episode features the light wieght high output 168hp/tonne buzz box, it got a mixed review. Seems renault have not missed a chance to use cheap plastic or omit sound insulation on this special version of the clio sport allowing the driver to listen to the mechanical mayhem at all speeds. On the track it does manage to toast higher priced competition while cocking the innner rear wheel on high speed corners. The high feature option is advised to improve comfort and handling, a candidate for the bang for the bucks award when/ if it lands.

Advertisement
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

Default Classic Formula light and big engine

As A RSC 172 owner I could not agree more its why I bought the car. I believe the RSC = 205GTI+20years mechanical improvement + luxury bits.
    the basic car is a shopping trolley with a big engine its the "nothing's new that hasnt been reinvented".
    Yep I agree the plastic is awfull bits break easily but hey if it was made like a VW Gulf it would weigh 150 kgs cost 10 grand more as with all auto design its compromise .
    I drove a Scuby Liberty GT today and I now know why the RSC won Bag for bucks last time hope it does again , I am glad I only spent 1/3 the price. The RSC is one serious little car with a real asertive personality not a japaneese fridge
    Graeme

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AU-YT
    I drove a Scuby Liberty GT today and I now know why the RSC won Bag for bucks last time hope it does again , I am glad I only spent 1/3 the price. The RSC is one serious little car with a real asertive personality not a japaneese fridge
    Graeme
    yeah did a bit in the ol mans B4... talk about sterile!!! *yawn*...
    takes ages to wind up & the steering is AWFUL!!!
    Sensational brake feel (well, my brakes are bad)
    Understeers a bit when trying to throw it like the RSC...

very bland & non-communicative drive

noticed the lap times of the RS clio 182 was faster than the Ferrari 575, Alfa 147 and Saab (viggen?) in the Stig race time shootout segment of the show, relise its a bit like comparing a race horse to a greyhound but it certainly does the job it was designed for without being short changed on technology or safety.
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

It's looks might not be to everyone's taste but as long as the 182 hasn't lost the 172's nice low down power and excellent handling, it should be a truly amazing hatch. Though the look certainly is growing on me; it's not a pretty car, but it has a nice square stance and real attitude to its look.

From what I've read, weight hasn't gone up. Does anyone know whether Oz is getting the Cup chassis option as standard? I can't wait till it comes out so I can go test drive one! Wouldn't want to come across one on a twisty mountain road either
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Default 182v172

" as long as the 182 hasn't lost the 172's nice low down power"
    The torque is the same but 250 rpm lower the gearing is taller and the top speed higher but it appears they are no faster 0 100K,s

Thread Information