Whose Renault 16TS??
  • Register
  • Help

Default Whose Renault 16TS??

Just spotted that Renault are finally drawing on their innovative heritage in advertising.

It must be in most daily papers by now, but there is a Sunburst Brown 1969 16TS in the corporate Renault Megane advert. The ad is obviously an Australian creation.

Advertisement

Nice to see the LEGEND is remembered!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whose Renault 16TS??-scan.jpg  
    Last edited by Simon; 13th August 2004 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Adding scan of subject advert

Administrator

That sounds like an RCCV member's car (don't know if I should put her name up, some people are a bit funny like that)

The car is in fantastic condition and I think it won a trophy at the recent AFCD in Melb, there will probably be a full story on the car in the next RCCV magazine..

BTW - Where did you see the advert?

I would like a good pic of it for the magazine..

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    That sounds like an RCCV member's car (don't know if I should put her name up, some people are a bit funny like that)

BTW - Where did you see the advert?

I would like a good pic of it for the magazine..
    I figured it was more a studio shot than archival with the protector strips and mirror. Leave it to the owner to reply if they want I can understand. But it looks a lovely car, and nice to see Renault VDA acknowledging the past in a positive but not retro way.

The ad was on Page 29 of the Adelaide Advertiser 13/8/2004 bottom 1/4 of a tabloid page. I figured it would be in all papers by now so I didn't scan it.

I saw the Add on the front page of the Business section, on Wednesdays Courier Mail.

It's a nice example of a 16 that’s for sure.

Good to see Renault acknowledging the older Renos, nice to know they haven't forgot about them also.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

1000+ Posts

Not important enough for a new thread, but I noticed last night that the Footy Show (AFL) is gving away a Megane sedan in a competition. Eddie is obviously doing some deals with that sponsorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Just spotted that Renault are finally drawing on their innovative heritage in advertising.

It must be in most daily papers by now, but there is a Sunburst Brown 1969 16TS in the corporate Renault Megane advert. The ad is obviously an Australian creation.

Nice to see the LEGEND is remembered!
    Nice indeed, and at least the correct 16 model too! I must take mine along to the local dealer again and see if they know what it is this time........

A cynic might observe that one of these Renaults is a triumph of function over form and the other a triumph of form over function. We bought a new computer the other week, in large boxes - much surprise when I shifted rear seats around in our 16 and created a huge space for the boxes.....

I'll look closely in the West Australian tomorrow morning.

JohnW

Fellow Frogger!

It was also in today's Age newspaper in Melbourne, it was in the last page but I can't remember of which section (main or business). I really liked the ad, something different for a change.

Richard,
    It was in Fridays Herald Sun too.
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Default Funny that

When my dad say the Megane at the Sydney motor show he commented on how the inovation of the design reminded him of the 16 TS he owned.

There was a nice glossy full page ad in the Sunday Telegraph "Sunday" magazine here in Sydney on the weekend!
    Needless to say, I've kept it!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    A cynic might observe that one of these Renaults is a triumph of function over form and the other a triumph of form over function.
    ...and doesn't that just show how much the car market has changed over the years!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I can tell you all about that car, as Richard says it's an RCCV members car, one owner, French Connection did a major body and mechanical rebiuld on it last year and now it wins prizes at most shows it goes to. The owner boasts that it has done over 1 million km and it only ever had a set of rings fitted at 500,000. It is one of the nicest and most original early 16 in the country, the lady owner goes to amazing lengths to keep it as original as possible. Renault Australia want to use it again in future ads, the owner was forced to drive a new Megane while the ads were being done and boy did she miss her 16.

We're in the process of doing a full restoration on another early 16TS and will be one to drool over, it's great to see people spending money on them.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    ...and doesn't that just show how much the car market has changed over the years!
    It does indeed. And I don't mean that the new Megane hasn't good function - safety for example is very good indeed - but that rear, attractive though I find it, doesn't make for the maximum interior room (same as the Clio is pretty tight in the back).

At least they all look pretty striking and thoroughly different.

JohnW

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh

We're in the process of doing a full restoration on another early 16TS and will be one to drool over, it's great to see people spending money on them.

David.
    David,

At last, eh!!! I was beginning to wonder if the last of the "still running" cars would die before anyone started restoring these fabulous cars. The guys in Holland are getting to the point of arranging remanufacture of some key components I gather, which will help.

It's surprising how many are still seen around the place in Perth and Adelaide.

I'll go and tell mine - she'll be very pleased!

Cheers

JohnW

Icon11

I saw this sitting in a doctors surgery in the telegraph sunday magazine dated 15th august.
    I loved the advert and their needs to be more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    It does indeed. And I don't mean that the new Megane hasn't good function - safety for example is very good indeed - but that rear, attractive though I find it, doesn't make for the maximum interior room (same as the Clio is pretty tight in the back).
    Always a problem to balance car design and function. Lets face it, if it was all about function, then we'd all be driving 1 box vans. Maximum interior space.

You could argue that the R16 design was also a compromise - more space would have been available if they had followed an R4 type design, with a more upright "hatch"

Personally, I believe the R16 initiated a sea change in car design, whereas the Megane, whilst innovative in smaller ways, does not have that massive engineering advancement that the R16 demonstrated.

I think most people link the two cars because they are both "funny looking"
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Thread Information