R12 cuts out on fast corners
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default R12 cuts out on fast corners

OK guys. My R12 is set up with grippy 175's, an R17 front anti-roll bar and stiff rear springs which makes it so that you can really throw it into tight bends without the slightest slippage of the tyres. Consequently, when you try to accelerate out of the corner, it has a flat spot/cut out period.

Question - is this simply the 'fuel in the float chamber' issue where it needs a baffle, or is it likely to be low float level? The reason I ask is that I didn't think a low tune road 12 could cause a problem with the float chamber needing some sort of baffle.

Cheers

Stuey

Advertisement

What sort of carb/s are you using

The twin 40DCOEs on the Dauphine never give any problem that way and Im on Dunlop Formula Rs, stiff suspension, large anti roll bar etc.

I would check float levels and fuel pump operation before thinking about baffles.

Ross

Iím thinking along the same lines as Ross. My 12 sounds a similar setup with 175ís on 5.5Ē rims, 17 rear sway bar only and reset rear springs. It doesnít seem to have any problems with starvation on corners. Check the carby for blocked jets, or the fuel pump diaphragm, also how old is the fuel pump? Iím just wondering if it is getting a bit tired. Also check if the linkages are binding, Iím just wondering if it is a transition problem as the second throat is opening (Weber 32 DIR).

Air leaks? Breather hoses?

Administrator

Your car is setup almost exactly the same as my old 12 except I had 17 suspension all round and trust me, it wont be a fuel starvation problem (provided all is as it should be with the carby setup of course)

My Fuego is setup pretty well and would generate twice the lateral grip of a 12 and that doesn't have any probs with flatspotting with basically the same design of carby...

As suggest the float might be a bit low, or alternatively, it could be a bit high, causing fuel to flood the venturi's under deceleration or hard cornering, this will of course also causing a hesitation..just from the opposite reason

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    As suggest the float might be a bit low, or alternatively, it could be a bit high, causing fuel to flood the venturi's under deceleration or hard cornering, this will of course also causing a hesitation..just from the opposite reason
    Good suggestion, it could be associated with a worn needle and seat causing too much fuel?

My fuego had the same problem last week plus died on very steep hills.
    ended up being the top gasket letting fuel out/air and shit in.

1000+ Posts

Beautiful. Thanks, all. Yeah, Richard, I didn't think the G's I was generating would cause the starvation problem, that's why I asked...

You guys basically confirmed all of the alternatives I'd thought of but hadn't listed, too. The fuel pump is about 8 years old, and the carb (32DIR21) was fully re-kitted about the same time, including diaphragms - I do remember that the new needle and seat looked like a really crappy one compared to the original. Consequently, a couple of you have given me a good thought - the needle might be leaking. Probably best if I just buy another kit. I have been wondering if unleaded might have affected the pump jet diaphragm - I've heard that some older carb parts can be softened by unleaded.

Tell you what; this car is so damn reliable and consistent you forget. Eight years isn't that short a time, is it?

Simon, I'm pretty sure that it happens before the transition between throats. Also, all the hoses etc. on my car are perfect. In fact, everything in the engine bay is mint - I'm a bit anal that way...(too bad about the bodywork, but that's next).

Are genuine Weber kits available?

Cheers

Stuey

12's seem to be like that, just set and forget. I was just thinking, mine is now 12 years since the rebuild and given good plugs and points seems to be quite reliable and start nicely. It is clean, but certainly not pristine.

Search out for genuine Weber, they can be found, you just have to keep trying past the offers of Fuel Miser. Certainly the genuine Weber N&S's on the 8 seem to be working better than the Fuel Miser ones that the carby place told me would be fine, but there was more to sort on that car than just the needles and seats to get it running nicely full stop :-)

Thread Information