Who's got aftermarket wheels on an RCS?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Who's got aftermarket wheels on an RCS?

We fitted some 17x7s with 205/40/17s as soon as we took delivery of our RCS and have had heaps of trouble since - they always rub on that plastic bulge under the front guards. I'm not sure of the offset of the new wheels so will check that today. But has anyone had/heard of this problem and fixed it without voiding the warranty? Cheers!

Advertisement

P.S. I know 16's would have been better but the overall diameter with the 17's should hardly be different to the standard wheels so it must be the offset causing the problems...
    1999 Seat Cupra 2.0 16v: silly cams, throttle bodies etc (sold... )

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

There are a few of guys here (MY4, foxman and nate) that are running 17s without those problems. I'd be checking the offset, as the RSC runs a fairly unique one.

Cheers
    1999 Seat Cupra 2.0 16v: silly cams, throttle bodies etc (sold... )

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

G'day,

Was wondering why my ears were burning..

The clio has a 4 stud pattern and a PCD 100x4 and an manufacturer stated offset of 42mm. So do your wheels match the stated 42mm offset?

I've had two sets of 17" rims, the first set caused me a few dramas also, due to the wrong offset - so i sold them and got my current wheels. So I understand your problem. Although my problem seemed to be more to do with the rear tyres scrubbing on the guards and not so much the front tyres.

However, I currently have a small issue with the front tyres only *just touching* but this is because i am running a 215/40/17 instead of 205's. I find the 215's are better for protecting the edge of the wheels...
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT
    "#ZEG01F" --- > 2006 VW Golf 2.0L TDI - The torque machine SOLD
    "MY 4" --------------- > 2002 Monaco Blue RenaultSport Clio MkII SOLD
    "XES11V" ---------- > 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage STOLEN

1000+ Posts

I got an offset of 38.5 (discussed on the Yahoo forum recently, about offsets) running 205/40/17's... not a single scrubbing problem anywhere

Is it 38.5 is it? - Ok, shows how much i know! I was just cutting & pasting the 42mm info from www.cliosport.net

Well, Errrm. Let me see. Basically I've found that with my current set of rims the 'inner face' that supports the 4-stud/bolts is basically much 'chunkier' than my original set of rims. i.e. the less metal that sticks out in the centre, the closer the rims will sit to your discs. Or at the other end of the spectrum - the more metal that sticks out in the centre, the further out from the discs your brake will sit, in turn causing the tyres to scrub against the edge of guards, plastic and the like.

My first set of wheels had 'less' metal, and as such came very close to the discs - so the dodgey wheelshop which I originally bothered wasting my time, money and effort at chucked in some wheel-spacers between the wheels and the bolts, which pumped the rims out from the discs, but in-turn caused the tyres to touch the guards at any inconvenient time they wished. Ripping the rubber of the edges of the tyres, and causing me nothing but headaches.

So yeah, to all that want aftermarket wheels on your clio. Choose the wheels carefully and possibly attempt to try them on to check the clearance, and offset.
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

"#PW33RR" --- > "PW33RR" 2009 Mazda6 MXR-CD, 2.2L Turbo Diesel - More torque than the last! Geesssuz[/COLOR] HOT

JO3
    Tadpole

hey ppl..
    i just bought a rcs and i'll be throwing in a set of 17's...
    so just to clarify a few point...
    the best offset would be 38.5 with 205/40/17 tyres...
    and PCD would be 4*100 (thats the same as civic right?)

and one last question...
    for those who have 17's on your rcs...
    did the ride height increase dramatically?...
    i'll still be on standard springs...

thanks..
    joe

1000+ Posts

ride height...

Posted something like this before (with a bit of an error...)

easy enuf to calc...

Calculate: Wheel diameter + 2 x (profile/100 x tyre width) / 2...
    which will give you approx centre of wheel off road...

*i think i got it right this time*

Hello Jo! Welcome to Aussiefrogs & nice purchase!

Have u heard of the YahooGroups Oz_Clio_Sport email-list? We'd love to see you on there as well as the resident AF forum! Here's the LINK

As far as your questions go - yes the PCD is the same as a civic..but the offset is much different - so as much as there are many wheels out there that seem to want to fit according to the PCD rating - you need to refer to my previous post and make sure you are 100% positive that the offset is correct, so that the wheels don't touch either the calipers or on the other hand, the guards.

Check out YHI Australia
    You will need to download the PDF brochure to view the wheels.
    This is where my wheels are from, made by Advanti Racing wheels. They're quite affordable too.

Check out the following rims (by number)

• 10 - Electra
    • 11 - Atomic (I've seen these on my car, when i got my current ones, they were 2nd in preference)
    • 13 - Enforcer
    • 17 - Striker (I quite like these ones)
    • 23 - Stalker (same as mine, but they don't come in white anymore)
    • 24 - Flash
    • 25 - Impakt
    • 26 - Raptor 5
    • 27 - Acid (a little ricey if u ask me)
    • 29 - Not sure of the name, but pretty sure the guy said these will fit
    • There are a few other names of wheels which the guy gave me this arvo - but they don't appear to be on this brochure

Anyhow, good luck with it, and according to these distributors - the wheels i have pointed out have between 38 and 40mm offset - which apparently is suitable for our cars. But call them for future details, or talk to your local tyre/wheel dealer and ask them to call YHI for ya!

P.S. Check your email - i've sent you more details!

See ya!
    ~Dave Power` [MY 4] :

Thread Information