$800 R5 TS, Goulburn NSW
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default $800 R5 TS, Goulburn NSW

Saw this in this week's tradingpost (somebody please buy it!):

RENAULT R5 TS
    (R1224 Series), 1980 red, hatchback, very rare import, running but motor needs attention, rego 28/12/2004, $800 or near offer WLW-139 GOULBURN 02-4821 0821 or 0419-824605

If I had more space I'd be on my way down to Goulburn, today, to buy it.

Advertisement

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean
    Saw this in this week's tradingpost (somebody please buy it!):

RENAULT R5 TS
    (R1224 Series), 1980 red, hatchback, very rare import, running but motor needs attention, rego 28/12/2004, $800 or near offer WLW-139 GOULBURN 02-4821 0821 or 0419-824605

If I had more space I'd be on my way down to Goulburn, today, to buy it.

Dave
    Thanks Dave. I second that if I were within a few hundred miles! What a great city car. Someone buy it!

Where are all the Canberra frogs? Goulburn is an outer suburb of Canberra isn't it.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Sure,

and Gretel Killeen is Mayor of the Gold Coast isn't she?

Truth is that its probably only slightly rare in Australia and not that collectible. Realy just a modernised 12 with a smaller bodyshell.
    That car has been for sale in Goulburn for a few years now.

ib

Quote Originally Posted by ipb205
    Sure,

and Gretel Killeen is Mayor of the Gold Coast isn't she?

Truth is that its probably only slightly rare in Australia and not that collectible. Realy just a modernised 12 with a smaller bodyshell.
    That car has been for sale in Goulburn for a few years now.

ib
    Sounds like your idea of a Renault 5 and what a Renault 5 actually is have about as much in common as Goulburn and Canberra :-) It actually has very little in common with a Renault 12, apart from sharing various mechanicals. However you are probably right about only being slightly rare in Australia, as there seem to be a fair few examples around even though it was never officially sold here. It came very close but never happened.

Certainly a very interesting and influential car nonetheless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0 R5 TS, Goulburn NSW-1973_r5.jpeg  
    Last edited by Simon; 9th August 2004 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Typing errors

1000+ Posts

Who mentioned rare and collectible? They're just a good, interesting design - that's it. I'd love one to punt to work in - a user.

Stuey

Ok guys,

thanks for bagging me out but you won't be 'punting' this one too far as it has engine dramas and if I recall correctly some rust to repair.

I too had visions of a Turbo 2 bodykit from France but reality took hold and I lost interest.

ib

Who mentioned rare and collectible
    This is just car sellers way of saying "I want to ask for more than the car's really worth".

What motor would be in this anyway. Would it have the 850cc Ventoux motor or the Sierra motor (1100cc?). Either way, should be possible to fix.
    Rust is a different story. Given the number of R5's made worldwide there should be repair panels available from overseas.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    This is just car sellers way of saying "I want to ask for more than the car's really worth".

What motor would be in this anyway. Would it have the 850cc Ventoux motor or the Sierra motor (1100cc?).

It's a late model TS, so it has the 1.4 litre motor. They're quite spritely little cars in this form. It should be easy to fix, since it's just a Virage motor.

As Stuey said, no one mentioned "rare and collectable". It doesn't come into it. They're just plain fun, and every one which is lost to the crusher is a ray of sunshine gone.

Fitting a body kit to one would be sacriledge. They should be appreciated for what they are, like the 205GTI.

Dave
    Last edited by davemcbean; 10th August 2004 at 11:01 AM.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I think this car is right for being striped apart, the motor being given a good going over, 1.4 turbo, move it to the back of the car, go to http://www.pa-tuning.com/

Turbo look R5
    http://www.pa-tuning.com/fr/photos/renault-r5lturbo.jpg

Pare-chocs AV / Front bumper
    239,35 Euros
    *Uniquement 3 portes / Only 3 doors

Pare-chocs AR / Rear apron
    823B
    240,9 Euros

Bas de caisse (l'un) / Side skirts (the unit)
    104,45 Euros

Aile AV complète (l'une) / Front complete wing (the unit)
    176,85 Euros

Aile AR 3/4 d'aile (l'une) / Rear wing 3/4 wing (the unit)
    223B
    176,85 Euros

Bas de hayon / Tailgate
    94,5 Euros
    Get the parts in and have a pretty bad looking Renault 5 Turbo :-)

I have to agree, it would be good to be in original condition, maybe good for one of the rare owners who have a real Renault 5 Turbo, I think they would look good next to each other.

What motor would be in this anyway. Would it have the 850cc Ventoux motor or the Sierra motor (1100cc?).
    Ren
    Being an R1224, it is the 1289cc Sierra motor. Basically the sanme as the 12, with differences in the pulleys, water pump and other minor details.

Even if it has a bit of rust it isn't hard to get some new panels for an R5. The panels are still being made at least in Spain and even after shipping to Aus are pretty cheap. Caravelle in Melbourne got in some R5 bonnets, door skins and guards recently and could easily do it again im sure. All the mechanical parts are pretty cheap and easy to get from Overseas so as long as you don't expect to pop down to Bursons or Repco on the weekend to pick up some parts and get it going in a weekend, an R5 would be a cheap fun car.

Or get one of those cheap 5 alpine/alpine turbo motors from mecaparts (if they still have them??) and have a very innocent and sedate looking pocket rocket!! that would scare a few lancers at the traffic lights!!

Do they share much with and R6 or are 6's mechanically like a big R4??

Also heres a pic of some wheels that were fitted to many R5 in Mexico while i was there. Anyone no what they are off as all different models of R5 had them on over there. I was temted to bring back a set of em (they look a little like A310 wheels) but there is limit to what fits into a backpack ( a couple of sets of R8 and R10 taillights were enough of an effort to bring back without bus baggage handlers breaking them!). The the Red car is an R5 and the Blue one is a R12 and i have no idea what the wheels are from.

Jensen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0 R5 TS, Goulburn NSW-image1.jpg  

Icon10

Well it doesnt matter that car is a total bargain. I should buy it really. I love the R5.Very French....

HMMMMM an R5 1289cc motor and 4 speed box would fit a R4 wouldn't it.

HMMMMM an R5 1289cc motor and 4 speed box would fit a R4 wouldn't it.
    Depends which R4 you are fitting it to.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Well it doesnt matter that car is a total bargain. I should buy it really. I love the R5.Very French.....
    But it is manual gearbox. As for being a total bargain, well how would you know unless you have seen the car, analysed the problem and ascertained the extent of the rust??

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen
    Do they share much with and R6 or are 6's mechanically like a big R4??
    Early R5's are more related to both the 6 and the 4. They share a lot of common parts.

1000+ Posts

thanks for bagging me out but you won't be 'punting' this one too far as it has engine dramas and if I recall correctly some rust to repair.
    Bagging you out!?! We just stuck to the facts...didn't even mention you, did we? You should come out for a beer with us one day, and you'll see some REAL bagging...

As for the R5 + 1289cc Sierra, I reckon that is a great combination. Lighter than a 12 sedan with a torquey, easily maintained, ultra-reliable Sierra. Lovely. Oh, and as for the bodykit, that'd add about 100+kg . Power to weight matters at the small end of town. (Ok, no jokes you lot).

Stuey

I just checked today's trading post. It's still for sale.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Icon1

Does anyone think that they would sell it for $aud500??

Does anyone think that they would sell it for $aud500??
    Fergawdsakes Daniel, there is only one way to find out.

HINT: It's not by posting a message on Aussiefrogs
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Icon1

the car has a major oil leak aparently and the price is very negotiable the guy said. He needs the car gone....

the car has a major oil leak aparently and the price is very negotiable the guy said. He needs the car gone....
    Colliers at Granville should be able to fix that for you relatively cheaply.

I reckon it would be an awesome club car, to use for motorkhanas, etc. It should do great handbrake turns around the witches hats, etc.

Being so torquey, it would be a good car for someone to learn to drive a manual , although I'm not sure if the gearshift is a vague as the R12 . If so, I'm sure Colliers have a fix for that too.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

Go for it Daniel!! Go out there, kick the tyres, check for rust, and start with a low offer and see how you go.

Weighing 760 kg's (even less if the rust has fallen out!!) it would be in the cheapest rego category!

Don't forget to take some pictures of the car too, and post them on this site!!
    Last edited by Simon; 19th August 2004 at 06:23 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean
    Colliers at Granville should be able to fix that for you relatively cheaply.

I reckon it would be an awesome club car, to use for motorkhanas, etc. It should do great handbrake turns around the witches hats, etc.

Being so torquey, it would be a good car for someone to learn to drive a manual , although I'm not sure if the gearshift is a vague as the R12 . If so, I'm sure Colliers have a fix for that too.

Dave
    You must've driven an R12 with dodgy rubber couplings in the shift shaft. Mine has steel bushes instead of rubber (in the middle coupling) and is as direct as you could get.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    You must've driven an R12 with dodgy rubber couplings in the shift shaft. Mine has steel bushes instead of rubber (in the middle coupling) and is as direct as you could get.
    I'm wih Dave McBean on this one. As much as I like the R12, the gear selection on mine is extremely vague (early 352 gearbox). Even with new couplings, it's a bit of a lottery finding gears or even know if you're in gear (until you let the clutch out).
    But the R5 is a completely different gear box anyway so we probably shouldn't draw comparisons.

Ren

Icon1

If I bought it i wouldnt be doing handbrake turns in it it would be restored or (attempted) to be taken back to original. I had a think about it last night and Id like to buy it but not sure. It sounds great. THe guy told me that all the trim is in immaculate order. It is very cheap indeed....

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information