Scenic RX4 traction control.
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Scenic RX4 traction control.

Hi, this is my first post here. I recently purchased a used Renault Scenic RX4, 1.9 DCi (2003 reg), in the UK, which I have since discovered to be an imported vehicle. This isn't too much of a problem, apart from the fact that my warranty is now decreased by a year. (don't ask me why, as I don't know)

One question I have though is: There is a button on my dash which is supposed to switch off the ESP (electronic stability program), and traction control. When pressed the user book says that a light should illuminate on the instrument panel to say the ESP is switched off. All I get is a tiny little light on the switch, which is down by the rear window switches. I have asked Renault why the instrument light doesn't come on, and was told that as it's an import it may not have ESP and traction control installed.

Advertisement

Does anyone know if it is possible to get an RX4 without these features, as I thought it was a standard RX4 option, not just a UK option ?

One more question, when the climate control is at full power, it makes an extremely loud noise (like a helicopter is above you), but doesn't give out much air from the vents. Any thoughts on what could be causing this ?

Cheers,

Wales.

Icon7

Hi Wales,

Welcome!
    I only have a 2WD Scenic so cannot comment on traction control

WRT the air flow noise - not sure what you mean by Max climate control but when I use demist it goes to full fan speed and directs all the all to the upper (windscreen) registers - this is noisy as a lot of air is going th4rough these vents - there also is no airflow at face or footwell level

You could override the climate control by pressing the face or foot level switches and also manually reduce the fan speed this way

1000+ Posts

The 1.9DCi isn't available here Wales, but I have driven a 2WD version with that engine

The traction control button on the 1.9DCi I drove did make a light come on on the dash - from memory a picture of a car skidding off the road (lovely). When the light was on, it was quite easy to spin the front wheels in the wet as the turbo boost came on in 1st and 2nd gear, so it should be pretty easy to tell.....

Derek

Thanks for the replies. Just out of interest, how do you know when the turbo boost comes on ?? (I have no idea)

Fellow Frogger!

the climate control drives the vent from which the cool or hot air comes from to address the current temperature to reach the set temperature. as such, its not always the face vents that blow the air.

if you override the vents selection, it's no longer auto, but the set temperature will be blown at the fan speed through the set vent.

if the set temperature is an extreme (or a few degrees) from the current temperature, then the fan speed will increase and if this is channelled through the vents other than face vents - the you have the helicopter effect.

but this effect usually goes off afte a few minutes when the actual temperature approaches the set temperature.

hope it makes sense and is of help.

1000+ Posts

Howdy Wales. Had to say that as my wife's from Cardiff...

Are your vents set to 'recycle'; this is sometimes quite a bit noisier.

Cheers and welcome to Aussiefrogs.

Stuey

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wales
    Thanks for the replies. Just out of interest, how do you know when the turbo boost comes on ?? (I have no idea)
    You can hear it with the windows down (wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!) I think it came on boost in that engine at 1600 or 1700rpm, although maybe it was lower. If that engine is on boost and you back off the throttle quickly you'll also hear the wastegate venting - with a distinct shhhhhhhhhhhh

Why do I know this? My mate I was travellingwith was obsessed with turbos (more the Nissan Skyline GTR variety, but anyway...) and thought it was so cool we were driving this turbocharged car and just loved the sounds it made Nothing wrong with that though!

It's a pretty sophisticated turbocharger on that engien from what I know - but then I guess you'd expect that from Renault.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.press.renault.co.uk/releases/Technology/Ricardo.htm
    The 120 bhp 1.9 dCi F9Q engine

The F9Q 1.9 dCi unit offers a power output of 120 bhp at 4,000 rpm and maximum torque of 270 Nm at 2,000 rpm. The variable nozzle turbocharger, equipped with multiple aerofoils whose inclination is controlled electronically according to load and engine speed, behaves like a small turbocharger at low speed and load, with very low inertia which allows extremely rapid response. At higher speeds, it behaves like a larger unit which allows the engine to be force-fed.
    How did you end up with an "imported car" in the UK -is it left hand drive?
    Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa

How did you end up with an "imported car" in the UK -is it left hand drive?
    Derek.
    In the UK they have importers who offer parallel or grey import cars at substantial discounts to those purchased through the official UK dealer network. These cars are supposedly UK spec, but do have minor differences from those sold through the official network. Probably like the Heinz soups and dishwashing detergent usually seen in discount shops with Chinese writing on the labels. The same stuff but different. Also the factory warranty is for a shorter period of time. Seems like the days when there were 9000 Renault friends to greet you on your travels anywhere who operated the 100% Renault guarantee seem to be over.

Hi all,

the Scenic RX4 doesn't have ESP. The button with the ESP symbol
    disable only the ASR if the speed is under 50km/h or something.

The reason is, that the ASR will slow down the spinning of the frontwheels
    till stand. this is not so usefull on snow or ice. so you can deactivate this
    feature

The thing with the vents... there are filter somewhere. Maybe these
    filter are full of dirt and dust ... control this filter or/and replace them.

Hopefully this will help...

Greetings from Germany!!!

Alex

PS: if you want more about the RX4 ... then feel free and visit the
    following website Scenic RX4 Fansite
    At the forum you can find the international RX4 community

PPS: sorry for my english

Thread Information