2002 RCS 0-100 8.3 sec?!?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 2002 RCS 0-100 8.3 sec?!?

I'm reading the NRMA review on the Clio sport and they say it does 0-100 in 8.3 sec. I thought it was 7.3 sec. I've read in a couple of review that it's 8.3...any care to comment?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by janus
    ...any care to comment?
    96/98 octane?

Wet/dry/mixed weather?

Temperature?

Caring tester/uncaring tester?

Driver only/driver and observer?

AUS spec/Euro spec?

1000+ Posts

Reviews i've read about the Aus Spec 2k2-2k3 (SMH, & an on-line one), they both said 7.3, and the on-line said they were using a runway & were constantly gettin 7's (better rubber perhaps? run-in?)

Icon5 Bodies on board wheather ..............

I agree
    The WHEELS spec for testing 0-100k is half tank of gass two people (weight?)
    also the 182 has taller gearing so 10 hp gain is -.1 of a second by Euro testers
    and who Knows may be the NRMA may use 4 people. and the 8.3 is bloody quick if the allup weight is 1355 Kgs around 80 kgs each

Well, 7.2 actaully from the Factory. If you read anywhere that states these times, they are simply quoting from the factory. I'd say 8.3 or 8 is about right for real world. The factory time is quoted based on perfect conditions, it probably have enver achieved such times on a track or road, those are nothing more then brochure figures. You will find most cars, if a magazine has actaully ran a timed 0-100 using radar, its slower then factory quotes.
    Karl
    -----------------

My Gtech arrived yesterday and I had a play around last night. I know they arent completely accurate but I did 0-100 in 6.7something seconds about 6 times in a row. Times varied from that up to about 7.5. Thats with just me in the car but I weigh in at 120kgs with clothes on. I did have clothes on by the way

6.7's nice, was that dumping the clutch?

120 kg big unit.

So I take it the car is fitted with a Devil cat back exhaust for an claimed 11kW ATW gain?

If not did the GTech come from the same shop that promotes an 11kW ATW gain from a Devil cat back zorst??

The car is standard and the tank was almost empty. Reved to about 4 grand and slipped the clutch
    Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 5th August 2004 at 06:49 PM.

Did 6.55 last night with a full tank.

Errrm...are you sure it's setup properly? As launching with a 4k clutch dump in a FWD shouldn't yield that quicker times!!!

My Ibiza has 162kW and 240nm of torque, weighs 1050kg and pulls low to mid 6s (needs an LSD badly!) and it's a damn sight quicker than our RCS, which got 6.9, launching at about 3k, with handbrake, full drag style

G-tech's are really accurate if you set them up properly. Mines never been more than 0.2 seconds out compared to a laser timed drag strip. Not bad for $90 off eBay hey!!!

EVO mag (I think they must be the only journo's who can launch a FWD car!) got 6.5 in a 182 in 7deg weather.
    1999 Seat Cupra 2.0 16v: silly cams, throttle bodies etc (sold... )

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

P.S. I bet the NRMA d1cks just can't launch properly!! i.e. pack on the revs and wheelspin to hell

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

I think I normally rev to a bit under 4 grand. Maybe closer to 3.5 I dont know coz I dont look too closely as I'm launching. I'll take more notice next time. I didnt say I dump the clutch tho. Otherwise it would just wheelspin. I release it pretty quick and let it slip. Its still slightly wheelspinning most of the way thru first tho and its right on redline in second as I hit 100. At first I was changing to third but then u just end up in neutral as u hit 100. The Gtech is definitely set up correctly. I have it zero'ed out on a perfectly flat piece of cement near home. Its secured firmly and is still zero'ed on the same piece of road I do the run on. I do it in both directions as well.

You not bogging down when u launch are you ? I've found I get much better times when it seems to be spinning quite a bit. Otherwise it spins at the start then bogs quite a bit. What do you do with the handbrake if your on a flat road ?

Josh
    Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 7th August 2004 at 01:58 PM.

The handbrake trick only really works with a brand new clutch (and it doesn't do it much good either!!! ). You just hold it on whilst letting the clutch lightly bite the flywheel so the wheels are actually spinning (well just slipping) whilst the car isn't moving - then you can drop the handbrake and feed in throttle as you start to get traction. Our RCS is hardly run in so I'll be interested to see what it does with a few more k's on the clock. Have you done a 1/4 mile yet (on a private track of course ). I've not done one in the Clio, but I'd guess about 15.0 -15.5 would be about right...??

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Your RSC should feel a LOT! better after its done a few more k's. It will keep getting better and better for a long time yet if its new. According to the cliosport.net forum people have got high 14's. I would think low 15's would be normal. I did one 1/4 but was going up hill for half of it. I think I got 15.8 or something. I've been mucking around in an industrial area late at night but I dont really have anywhere to do a quarter mile. I dont like to do anything stupid where others will be using the roads. You have 17" rims right ? Wouldnt that be slowing u down a bit ? I know CLIO 172 on here started with 17's then went to 16's then back to the standard size.

Josh
    Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 8th August 2004 at 09:31 PM.

1000+ Posts

yeah i think mine opened up at 7,000k's...

now i loose traction on even the most perfect of surfaces on my 205 Yokie AVS 100's... before i couldnt loose traction on the stockies!

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    yeah i think mine opened up at 7,000k's...

now i loose traction on even the most perfect of surfaces on my 205 Yokie AVS 100's... before i couldnt loose traction on the stockies!
    No, that's coz Stockies are MICHELINs hehehehe sorry had to say it!
    Getting off topic here a little, as I tend to always do...
    cahsed an R32 on the way to work this mroning, that thing sounds sensational!! It has the burble of a rally car when idle, and brawny engine note when going, if it weren't for the traffic there is no way in the world i could keep up. Not a fan of the interior I must say, but that's only because I drove the new A3 a few minutes before... but sensational noise!!!
    Karl
    -----------------

Tadpole

Just to change the subject again, can one recommend a good set of brake pads that don't produce as much dust as the stock ones?

EBC Greenstuff, although there seems to be very mixed reviews. Something about changing the compound of the pad or something? Endless are supposed to be great if u dont mind spending $1000 on 4 pads. They wear a lot slower than anything else and work great.

Yeah, we have 17's - probably a bit dumb, but it's kind of just a daily runaround so we figured we'd sacrifice a bit of performance to spruce it up a bit! Really impressed with the car on the whole, though

p.s. Yep, how good are R32s!!! We wanted one instead of the Clio but just didn't have the cash...

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid
    EBC Greenstuff, although there seems to be very mixed reviews. Something about changing the compound of the pad or something? Endless are supposed to be great if u dont mind spending $1000 on 4 pads. They wear a lot slower than anything else and work great.
    I think EBCs are good, you only need the fronts. the rear don't produce much dust in the first place and well most of the braking is done at the front anyways. Endless should be fantastic you can pick up a set from centrax auto (cent something x) in QLD for 550 for the front. They said those pads are the same as the ones used for Clio CUP races in europe, and youdont' have to warm them up. Delivery is free nation wide, and fitting is DIY easy!
    Karl
    -----------------

Centrax (and CLIO 172 who has em) have also said they work really really well with the stock discs and dont wear them any faster than standard pads.

Thread Information