R8 Window seal
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R8 Window seal

Default R8 Window seal

G'day,

I painted the R10 last week as uni is about to go back and over the weekend put all the rubbers, door trims etc etc back on. I replaced the Bailey channel stuff with new ones which have got rid of all the Window rattles which used to become highly annoying at varying revs. The drivers door window seal was in good condition so as they are hard if not impossible to get new, but i dont have a passenger side one. My questions is how does the R8 seal attach? I have a new R8 rubber which is a lot deeper and is much stiffer at the base. I got told to maybe screw it onto the door in place of the clips that hold the R10 seals in. Arn't the doors pretty much the same in 8's and 10's?? so possibly it could go in the way R8 ones fit.

Cheers

Jensen

Advertisement

Jensen,

I assume you are talking about the seal for the winding windows on the front doors, there isn't any difference between the R8/10 doors, but I reckon the sealing strip may be the problem. The repro ones seem slightly thicker and don't have the retaining clip holes. Also the rubber seems very soft and does get stuck to the glass making the windows difficult to wind, and there is no room for screws. Follow the thread below to find a solution using Holden repro parts from Rare Spares. It is an old thread and what I said then is still holding up now.

Wanted: Renault 10 Rear View Mirror
    Last edited by Simon; 26th July 2004 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Removing fluff

Yep im talking about the seals on the front sliding window. I went and grabbed the repro one out of the car and your right that the actual seal is very, very soft so i could see it getting sucked down. Ill give the HQ idea a go ( thats a very detailed set of instructions so hopefully i can get it to work succesfully!).

On a vagueraly related side note Simon, how similar is the grab handle on the passenger side A pillar in 8G's to the handles above the (rear?) doors of an R12. I heard they looked somewhat similar and im getting sick of friends complaining of nothing to hold on to around sharp corners. When ive been a passenger in G i remember the handle coming in handy especially around hairpins! I was thinking of securing one to the A pillar, are they held on by much (screws, bolts) in the G??

Jensen

I got some window seals for the 8G from Rare Spares, they wern't a perfect fit, however I modified them to suit, they seem to work well. Had to shave 2mm-4mm off them so the window would slide nicley, if you don't you'll never get the window up, or you could damage the winder arm.

The handle on the A pillar, I guess comes in handy, I can't recall ever using it though I'm not often riding shotgun.

It's held on by 2 Phillips head screws.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen
    how similar is the grab handle on the passenger side A pillar in 8G's to the handles above the (rear?) doors of an R12. I heard they looked somewhat similar and im getting sick of friends complaining of nothing to hold on to around sharp corners.

Jensen
    The one on an 8G 1100 is from a Caravelle, so may be difficult to find. The handle on an 8G 1300 is the same as fitted to above the rear doors of very early 12's and 16's, the one with metal ends. Only the 8G one is black plastic instead of white plastic.

1000+ Posts

Simon, this seems to be the same quality as the R12 rubber I bought from Scott's. No clips or holes for them, and now that you mention it, probably too soft. Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Simon, this seems to be the same quality as the R12 rubber I bought from Scott's. No clips or holes for them, and now that you mention it, probably too soft. Damn!
    Thing is the ones I got for the 8 were from Neo Retro in France. Which I found out later, were the same as the ones that Ken @ Caravelle stocks. So I doubt if they would come from the same place as those from Scotts, but who knows........

For a 12, I reckon that those from a Fuego may be able to be adapted. I've got one hanging around, but I've not had a go with fitting it yet, it won't be a straight swap but it does look adaptable.

Thread Information