Corrosion in R16/17 Alloy Blocks
  • Register
  • Help

Default Corrosion in R16/17 Alloy Blocks

Looking for a bit of advice here

I've started getting all my parts together for a 1600 race motor build for the Dauphine.

Ive striped down 2 x 807-10 motors however both blocks have corrosion around the barrel seats, one very bad, the other just pitting around the outside edges of the seat.

What should I do??

The way I see it I have 3 options

1. Keep looking for a better 807-10 block with no corrosion (maybe by now they are all corroded)
    2. Have the not so bad block alloy welded in the pitted areas and then machined
    3. Have new seats machined, block machined and new seats pressed in

Advertisement

Any suggestions??

Ross

When I asked an engine repairer about the same problem some time ago they said the pitting can be repaired by using Devcon, the two part epoxy compound. This is supposed to be a method that is authorised by Mack to repair damage to liner seats in truck blocks.

My rule of thumb would be if the corrosion isn't across the whole of the liner seat and isn't too deep then a Devcon repair would be OK, but if a whole seat side has gone I'd keep scouting for another block. When I asked about getting the seat welded, the repairer said anything could be done at a price, but it could affect the block in otherways and require a lot of machining.

Another reason why I love the iron block Sierra motors!! :-)

Thanks Simon

The corrosion is not across the whole liner seat so maybe this Devcon could be the answer.

Apparently Loctite make a comparible product called Epoxy Filler for steel or alloy filling.

Do you epoxy the barrels in place (insert the barrels while the epoxy is wet) or apply the epoxy leave till dry and machine to a flat surface?

Ross

Fellow Frogger!

Check very carefully for other areas of corrosion, I have seen blocks with "rot" throught the side of the casting.
    I would look for a unrotted block as if they have been run with inhibitor the rot is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Thanks Simon

Do you epoxy the barrels in place (insert the barrels while the epoxy is wet) or apply the epoxy leave till dry and machine to a flat surface?

Ross
    The corroded area was scraped back to bright shiny metal to ascertain the extent of the corrosion, the epoxy was then applied and smoothed off until it was just proud of the surface, allowed to set and then finished to the surface of the liner seat. Don't epoxy the liner direct to the block, otherwise future removal would be very difficult.

Not a lot of the epoxy was used as it was a small but annoying amount of corrosion. Id say similar to your case where the subject block ended up being the best of three or four blocks to hand!

Probably a hint to go for an 1860 piston liner set where the block would have to be machined anyway!! :-)

Thread Information