Fuego Tyers
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Fuego Tyers

Tadpole

Default Fuego Tyers

undefined
    Hi All
    Where can I by new tyers for my fuego metric rims?
    Please tell me as I domt know
    cheers John

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Short answer is "you can't buy them"

Unfortunately Michelin stopped manufacturing them without any regard for the many car owners still using metric rims. They may well produce limited batches in the future if there is a demand but at a premium price

However it is not all gloom and doom - If you do a search for Fuego tyre and rim past postings on this board, you will find that most Fuego owners have a good choice of alternative wheels to fit to their cars, and to their delight they find that those alternatives give better handling and safety than the old metric TRX and are much less expensive to replace with an off the shelf tyre.

I myself was bitterly dissapointed with the way Michelin abandoned its TRX production without any thought to the many owners committed to the metric rim sizes. But in a way I think they shot themselves in the foot and have lost a sizeable slice of future sales and reputation in this country because of this short sighted decision. (my rant for the day )

So if you love the sheer joy of driving your Fuego, make the decision now to
    get a nice set of non metric mags fitted (they look great) that will take a far larger range of tyres for the life of your car! and, the bonus is, that those tyres cost a fraction of the price of a TRX and handle many times better!!

(Don't just take my word for that, peruse the postings from satisfied owners and drivers who have changed over)

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Short answer is "you can't buy them"
    Last time I suggested that on this forum I was told quite abruptly that they were still available but at an extremely high price. Anyone care to comment?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Tadpole

I have no idea as to wether you can or can not still buy TRX's, all I know is that I was given a guesstimate price off $250.00 each by Beaurepaires here in Tassie.
    What I did was to go through the Beaurepaire guy's mag wheel checklist and identified all the mags with a 100 pitch circle diameter, (pcd) and with a 38 mm offset, made myself a list and kept an eye on the trading post.
    What I ended up with was a set of SEAT 14 inch alloys with very good pirelli's all round for $300.00, there were three minor problems though.
    1. The centre hole for the hub was about 1.2mm too small, so I invested $11.95 in a rotary drill bit and filed out the centre to suit, took me about 10 minutes per wheel.
    2. The tyre circumference is 35 mm less, therefore the speedo is a little out, ~ 5% or so which I think will be fixed if I go up a profile size when I wear the current pirelli's out.
    3. The centre cap has SEAT stamped into it.

So for $311.95 and less than 1 hours work versus ~$1000.00, for me it was a no contest.
    If you look at a previous thread currently at or near the bottom of the Renault home page, some generous guy, ( Zamiac I think), with the thread titled ?Feugo Wheels, has provided a Word document listing all available "generic" wheel sizes for you.
    Last edited by tassiedevil; 24th July 2004 at 12:40 AM.

1000+ Posts

Europa

I am one of the few "aussie Froggers" still running one of my Fuego's on TRX tyres (my kids cars were converted to alternatives a couple of years ago) Before converting those cars to alternative mags and tyres I approached Michelin direct in an attempt to get them to import a batch as they told me that they had outstanding back orders for a number of the tyres at that time (probably four years ago then) In order to help out and boost that order I offerred to buy 10 tyres outright ( gee I must have been flush with cash then !!!)

After chasing Michelin up on this offer/order, 3 months later I got an email from Michael Inserra advising that sadly the Michelin company were no longer producing the tyre and back orders to locate tyres had been unsuccesful anywhere in the world Through another forum I was told that tyres may be available in New Zealand, but my enquiries proved fruitless.

I did buy one tyre new at a Michellins outlet in Echuca 2 years ago as a result of asking if they by chance had any, but that is the last new tyre I was able to aquire. My kids swear by the performance of their new tyres over the TRX and yes my old TRX's still slide on the odd occasion I brake hard and they squeal on some tight corners, but the way I drive, I am content to wear out that set!!

There was some suggestion from Michelin that if there was enough interest they might "consider" making limited batches of the metric tyre for sale through their obsolete/vintage program but the cost would be prohibitively high. and, judging from the new owners posts on this forum, out of touch with the current financial circumstances of the majority of Froggy Forum Fuego owners (driving a good looking well styled vehicle, with lively performance, for a low entry price and capable of enhanced performance with a few mods. without expenditure of big bucks)

As the metric TRX was only supplied extensively in Australasia, I think that there is little call for "vintage production" given that most owners would never go back to even a "cheap" TRX given the performance they now get from their alternatives (See past posts).

I think that Michelin missed an opportunity in walking away from metric tyre replacements to the detriment of their market share, as owners of many cars convert to much cheaper (and better?) alternatives.

Ken.

Default Cheapest New Tyres for Fuego?

Yes, hence I bought mine with 14" Camira SLE mags already fitted. But that was 2 years ago and now I need at least 2 new tyres. What's the cheapest way to get good new 185/65R14 (or something similar) in Adelaide? I currently have a mix of Classic 65s and Bridgestone B361s. Has anyone had to do this recently?

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz
    What's the cheapest way to get good new 185/65R14 (or something similar) in Adelaide? Has anyone had to do this recently?
    I had to buy tyres recently, I consulted a book called Yellow Pages it is a listing of all businesses distributing various goods or services. Probably the best place to do comparison shopping for things like tyres. No I don't work for them, and yes there is an Adelaide edition. Oh, you have to use a phone in conjunction with the book too, they don't interface with each other. :-)

Tadpole

Default Got them now

Quote Originally Posted by John Lefel
    undefined
    Hi All
    Where can I by new tyers for my fuego metric rims?
    Please tell me as I domt know
    cheers John
    Thanks to you all but I found make that is perfect for my Fuego When I have time and will take a pic or if you like email me and I give you the info now
    [email protected]

Thread Information