Fuego been standing runs bad
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Fuego been standing runs bad

Hi All;
    My Fuego (previously running excellently) has been standing for a couple of months (moving !!) and is now running very bad. It starts quite OK, but after running for a few minutes getting warm, it misses quite badly. I have changed plugs, taken carby apart, new plug leads, but all to no avail, nothing makes any difference. Any clues please.
    Cameron

Advertisement

I'd be looking at the choke...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Camyron
    Hi All;
    My Fuego (previously running excellently) has been standing for a couple of months (moving !!) and is now running very bad. It starts quite OK, but after running for a few minutes getting warm, it misses quite badly. I have changed plugs, taken carby apart, new plug leads, but all to no avail, nothing makes any difference. Any clues please.
    Cameron
    Is it really missing or just showing the signs of running much, much too rich, black smoke etc? It has choke written over it, I agree.

The other possibility - but not likely after only a couple of months - is that a dose of new petrol might help.

Good luck

John W.

COL

Hi 1Camyron

I would try some fresh fuel. If car has been sitting around for a while it might be going off. Just something simple to try.

Regards Col

1000+ Posts

Cam

If you have a spare ignition module, swap that over, and see if there is any difference and of course you would have checked that the solenoids on the carby were working correctly (Antipostfiring and Co constant cut-out valves)

Swapping the top dead centre sensor lead is another thing that could be tried if all else fails.

How long is it since you changed the fuel line filter, as contamination during the layover may have choked/restricted the filter?

Ken

Thread Information