R8 - More Power!!
  • Register
  • Help

Icon12 R8 - More Power!!

I know we have covered what is necessary to put an 1289 or 1397 engine in an R8/R10 before.

What is needed to put an R16/R18 engine in these vehicles?

I'm intrigued by the comments of John's Renaults in another thread regarding an R16TS head on an R18 block in a Renault 10.

pistons

Can anyone enlighten us with specifics (ie what changes to the shorter R8 compared to the R10).

Cheers.

Advertisement

Iím not sure of the legality of this conversion now, at least in SA you would need engineering approval.

The 8 engine compartment is no different in size to that of the 10, just the bit hanging past the radiator is a bit longer. Most 8 16ís Iíve seen have front mounted radiators in various states of professionalism in fitting as space behind the motor is tight. Same with 10 16ís, but Iíve seen a couple of 10 16ís with rear mounted radiators and a scoop on the engine cover.

The fuel tank has to be removed to the front (or I suppose could be dented!) to clear the pulleys at the front of the motor.

The rear mount for the motor can be fabricated as described here:

http://www.abc.se/~katriina/alp3.htm

The bellhousing has to be replaced with the clutch lever needing to be fabricated to operate the clutch. Then there is the question of power and gearing. The 10 gerarbox probably isnít best used with a modified 16 motor, the diffs break. Colliers in Sydney seem to be the proís in replacing the 10 internals with a 16 diff for added strength.

Given the relative lack of decent 8ís around now, Iíd say it wouldnít be a nice idea to install a 16 motor in an 8. Also it is much easier to install the 1.4 motor in and save the hassles of clutch, heater, fuel tank etc. and pop in a 5 Alpine motor if the extra power is needed.

Better still, save all the R1130 and R1132 8ís, they seem to be much rarer than 8Gís now!

I tend to agree with Simon, the Seirra block motors are a much easier fit. If you use the last verion (R5 or R11 1400) then you can get a decent amount of power for a road car, should be able to get about 90-100 reliable hp depending on level of tune.

Not sure I agree about the diff though. I use a much modified R11 motor with twin 40mm sidedrafts etc etc putting out about 120hp at 7,000rpm, running through a standard R10 gearbox and after 2.5 years of abuse no breakages as yet.

I think as long as you drive sympathetically (ie dont drop the clutch at 6,000) you should be able to make it survive

Ross

Having just spent 10.5 yrs and a considerable sum of money restoring an R1132 to what I hope is concours std (it won a trophy at the recent Sydney FCD), I understand where you are both coming from.

What I hope to do is replace my R10 with an 8 that pumps out a bit more oomphh, then have one restored and one hottie but both R8's in the garage.

The thought of an R5 Alpine head, cam and rocker gear on an Australian 1.4L block was also suggested offline by someone. Other than having to fabricate exhaust and inlet manifolds, how feasible is that do you think? Is there any other Alpine parts that would be needed for the swap?

KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10
    The thought of an R5 Alpine head, cam and rocker gear on an Australian 1.4L block was also suggested offline by someone. Other than having to fabricate exhaust and inlet manifolds, how feasible is that do you think? Is there any other Alpine parts that would be needed for the swap?

KB
    Good idea, but note that the Alpine cam runs in pressed in bearings in the 5 Alpine block, and doesn't just fit into the 12/Virage 1.4 block where the cam runs directly in the block.

So if you can get the whole block all the better. There was someone on AF's selling a whole 5A motor some time ago but the deal seemed very vague at the time, probably do a search to see if it is still around.

Inlet manifolds and linkages to suit double Webers and extractors are available from Mecaparts, as well as a replica 8G rocker cover to suit the 5 Alpine head.

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10
    Having just spent 10.5 yrs and a considerable sum of money restoring an R1132 to what I hope is concours std (it won a trophy at the recent Sydney FCD), I understand where you are both coming from.

What I hope to do is replace my R10 with an 8 that pumps out a bit more oomphh, then have one restored and one hottie but both R8's in the garage.

KB
    Renault8&10....
    Good engine choice for an R8 or 10. There wass a guy up here that fitted an R5 Alpine engine to an R10 a few years back. Went very well.
    With fitting the 5 alpine head to an aussie 1.4 block, DO NOT forget to get the camshaft as the 5 head is crossflow and the cam will not work too well from the standard 1.4.
    IMHO just see if you can find an R5 alpine engine here or in NZ as the work required to fit the head to a 1.4 block is more than required to fit the 5 engine in the car.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Renault8&10....
    IMHO just see if you can find an R5 alpine engine here or in NZ as the work required to fit the head to a 1.4 block is more than required to fit the 5 engine in the car.
    Chris
    I'd second that, as the 5A block would be a virtual 8G block with cutouts in the block for the pushrods, as well as the requirement for the camshaft bearings. A lot of machining required for the 12 block.

And if that Qld based R8A was the blue one with 8G front, I saw that at the '99 Qld FCD, that was a very nice car. There was also a red R10A in Melbourne too, but I've heard that one was wrecked for some reason.
    Last edited by Simon; 21st July 2004 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Adding R10A

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    I'd second that, as the 5A block would be a virtual 8G block with cutouts in the block for the pushrods, as well as the requirement for the camshaft bearings. A lot of machining required for the 12 block.

And if that Qld based R8A was the blue one with 8G front, I saw that at the '99 Qld FCD, that was a very nice car. There was also a red R10A in Melbourne too, but I've heard that one was wrecked for some reason.
    Simon,
    Yes that was a Qld based R8G at one stage, but there was/is also an R10 alpine aroud up here too. We like our qik 8 & 10 up here. There was also an R8 with a 16 block at one stage......very fast too.
    Chris

Yea about 2-3 yrs ago I almost bought a QLD based R10 with a Alpine headed donk out back, I almost bought it but it was dodgy as anything.
    I haven't seen it since.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Fellow Frogger!

Kevin.. you could always go 5 GTT C1J engine... ie 847 in the old numbering system. Then you could go stoooooooooooooooooooooopid and have up to 350hp from a 1.4 hehehe. Serious problems with the diff then I think. Standard it was 115 (Phase 1) or 120hp (Phase 2) though.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Craig - yeah and I know where there is one of those engines sitting rusting away *lol*

I saw the said beast of course - made a late arrival at FCD. Didn't actually look at the car though - I found myself busy answering questions about my 8 most of the day.

Might have to find out more about the availability and costs associated with the R5A engine methinks.

Then again, I also know where there is another engine with Alpine pistons, twin webers and all the good bits also sitting derelict!

Kevin.

Fellow Frogger!

Hehe.. no.. mine isnt going derelict.. gets driven by my dad. I was serious though.. AFAIK, there are a few 5GTTs in NZ which might be more common than Alpines.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Thread Information