Clio 172 Tuning?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Clio 172 Tuning?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and French cars. Just wanted to know what was about in the way of tuning. We just bought a new 172 (couldn't be bothered waiting for the 182s!) and it needs a bit more guts. Not after anything major (got one of those in the family already!), just perk it up a bit - has anyone tried the Powerchips in them?

Cheers

Advertisement
    1999 Seat Cupra 2.0 16v: silly cams, throttle bodies etc (sold... )

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Welcome to AF, however, please use the search feature. Heck, there's a current topic on this, if you just looked!

1000+ Posts

grumble bum...

ave a look through the technical & performance sections, few things there... not much though!

Geez, chill out mate...I actually did search but didn't find anything of much interest...certainly a friendly bunch around here

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Quote Originally Posted by Cupra_R
    Geez, chill out mate...I actually did search but didn't find anything of much interest...certainly a friendly bunch around here

Got to love those Cupra Sports had one and loved it! Had a White one sensational car. Did you buy your seat new?? There a great car but the clio is that much better. I had 17x7 Chrome twisters lowered 3" at the front and 3.5" at the back Serious camber on the front and abit on the back. Loved my Seat but after 120,00 had some small problems.

Grant.

1000+ Posts

He's just jealous because he doesn't drive a car with a funny name.

We are a friendly bunch, it just seems strange that you'd post right away without looking at the current topics.

Which Cupra do you have? I'm assuming the little Ibiza? They ran a wicked tyre and rim combination, but Australian being the small market it is, you couldn't get a replacement tyre in the OEM size! Shame, relly

Quote Originally Posted by Foxman
    Got to love those Cupra Sports had one and loved it! Had a White one sensational car. Did you buy your seat new?? There a great car but the clio is that much better. I had 17x7 Chrome twisters lowered 3" at the front and 3.5" at the back Serious camber on the front and abit on the back. Loved my Seat but after 120,00 had some small problems.

Grant.
    Agreed, the Clio is a much better package if we're comparing standard cars. Great 'box in the Clio and really nice bottom end torque. I haven't revved it right out yet obviously as it's brand new but I can feel that it has decent top end. Pretty good front end grip compared to the Cupra which likes to understeer a bit too much - especially with lots of horses! Clio is nice and tail happy aswell. I took it out for a 2nd test drive and thought I'd try a bit of trail braking - ended up winding in near full lock and sh**ting myself We traded in our '99 WRX for the Clio and some have called it a step backwards...I disagree, though. The French build quality isn't that wonderful but still better than the Suby which really isn't anything to special anyway. They feel relatively quick to drive but in reality, the boost is just deceiving and the Clio probably aint that much slower in the right gear.

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    We are a friendly bunch, it just seems strange that you'd post right away without looking at the current topics.

Which Cupra do you have? I'm assuming the little Ibiza? They ran a wicked tyre and rim combination, but Australian being the small market it is, you couldn't get a replacement tyre in the OEM size! Shame, relly
    There's a few tyres to fit. Yoko A539's fit but you have to pay more for the unusual size, despite being smaller than the common 205/45/16

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Thta'd be a very rare car in Hobart. Must be the only one, surely?

There's actually two others - one written off sitting in my mate's garage and another one that lives in Hobart aswell. As far as I know, there's only those two others. I have the only black one though, which is some consolation

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Fellow Frogger!

. They feel relatively quick to drive but in reality, the boost is just deceiving and the Clio probably aint that much slower in the right gear.
    Very right. Driving on the highway last night heading for Adelaide in my GTI 180, i was sitting behind a standard WRX cruising at 110kph. We had to overtake a couple of b-doubles (overtaking lane). Between 120-170 the gap between us did not increase nor decrease. The Clio would be very similar in power/weight, and i have a movie i d/l once of a RCS chasing a WRX around donnington raceway in the UK, it eventually overtook it!

Quote Originally Posted by LeighO
    Very right. Driving on the highway last night heading for Adelaide in my GTI 180, i was sitting behind a standard WRX cruising at 110kph. We had to overtake a couple of b-doubles (overtaking lane). Between 120-170 the gap between us did not increase nor decrease. The Clio would be very similar in power/weight, and i have a movie i d/l once of a RCS chasing a WRX around donnington raceway in the UK, it eventually overtook it!
    I'd believe that 100%! Everyone looks at the 0-100 / 1/4 mile time and goes "wow", but if you've been in one when you drop the clutch at 7000RPM, you can see the only reason it pulls such times is traction.

Uphill it's a bit different with the rex's torque but everywhere else, they're pretty lame and I'm glad we sold ours really...

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

check www.qsz.com.au
    not much in terms of parts that's quality here, if we lived in the UK its everywhere.
    Karl
    -----------------

Yeah - those guys deal the Schrick cams and are really helpful. I'll see what they've got...

2003 RSC on 17s

1977 Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v

Yeah - those guys deal the Schrick cams and are really helpful. I'll see what they've got...
    yes they do, I have bougth from them previosuly seems knowlegable and very helpful indeed. They have exhaust and chip tune options, I think schrick makes cams for the clio too, although that probably won't help much. Most of their parts are German, which is good.
    Karl
    -----------------

Thread Information