R8 Front Panels Anywhere?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon9 R8 Front Panels Anywhere?

After probably hundreds of hours learning how, and then doing rust repairs, panel beating and spray painting, my full body-off resto of a a 1964 R8 was finally on its way to the spray painter to be rewarded with a new two-pack finish. However, a mishap on the way (sadly, with no-one to blame) resulted in a crash, with the front panel, driver's side front guard and boot floor being trashed. There is other damage, of course, but it's fixable. I know from experience that there aren't many such bits around and my budget won't run to hand-made panels. Any suggestions -- even wild, way-out ones -- or possible lines of enquiryto follow up, would be very, very welcome, as well as helping me feel less despondent!

Advertisement

Caravelle Imports in Melbourne used to import the Spanish R8S panel with four 5.75 inch headlights a la R8G. Not sure if they are still available, but give Ken a call he would probably be able to check on current availability

I have a brand new one (standard 8 front panel) at home which has been prepared to use as a mould for producing them in fibreglass. Ken at Caravelle did have one spanish one last time I was there (they have four 7" headlights across the front rather than the 7" 5 1/4" combo? - although having re-read Simon's post I could be wrong about that).

Presumably this happened since last Sunday or you would have asked me?

You could borrow my mould if you wanted to get one made of fibreglass.

Given the amount of damage you describe, your best bet may be to search for an R8 shell to cut the front off at the middle seam (where the angled boot floor becomes horizontal just in front of the wheel arches).

Peter Jackson at Old Era services can make replacement panels or sections for you - he made my boot floor section on mine for a reasonable cost.

Other thoughts - mecaparts (and possibly others) have the gordini fronts made out of fibreglass (they call it polyester, not sure if this is different). They also have front and rear guards out of polyester. There are no new metal front or rear guards available from Renault that I am aware of - Renault only had two or three new RHS front guards available back in 1997 - one of which is now on my car.

There were some R8 panels advertised in Scotland on Ebay a month or so back - supposedly NOS. Paul Groome at Autoparis in Melbourne had some secondhand panels previously.

Kevin.
    Last edited by renault8&10; 14th July 2004 at 06:52 PM.

Default R8 Front Panels

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, Simon and Kevin -- I will definitely check them out thoroughly. And yes, Kevin, the event took place on Monday morning, or I would certainly have mentioned it to you! By the way, your R8 looked superb -- the sort of standard I'm aiming for.

My understanding of the 'polyester' panels is that they are simplified, lookalike, lightweight, thin panels designed to make the car look like the standard article, mainly for circuit/club racing. For example, the front panel looks normal, but doesn't have an opening spare wheel compartment. Not what I need.

I don't want a Gordini front panel, preferring to stick to standard . Kevin, perhaps you could contact me directly to discuss using your front panel -- I'm very encouraged by the possibility.

Thanks again, guys.
    Clive [email protected]

Default R8 Front Panels

Old Era services was mentioned as a possible parts source, but I don't know their whereabouts. Can you help, Kevin?

1000+ Posts

Clive, Caravelle just got stock of repro panels for the R12, so they MAY have R8 ones. They're getting more in a month or so, too. I bought a RHF R12 fender which, although not as good as original, seems to be of reasonable quality - $110.

Stuey

Have you tried calling frank at simonetta motors[brookvale sydney].I know he's ridding his shop of old stuff,so he might just have some stuff you could use.Ph 02 9905 3007.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Atkinson
    After probably hundreds of hours learning how, and then doing rust repairs, panel beating and spray painting, my full body-off resto of a a 1964 R8 was finally on its way to the spray painter to be rewarded with a new two-pack finish. However, a mishap on the way (sadly, with no-one to blame) resulted in a crash, with the front panel, driver's side front guard and boot floor being trashed. There is other damage, of course, but it's fixable. I know from experience that there aren't many such bits around and my budget won't run to hand-made panels. Any suggestions -- even wild, way-out ones -- or possible lines of enquiryto follow up, would be very, very welcome, as well as helping me feel less despondent!
    Aaargghhh!

My sympathy. What a thing to happen!

Last time I needed a non-mudguard panel, I found a secondhand one from Auto Paris in Melbourne - already suggested in a post.

There are odd panels appearing on ebay (check Renault R8 and Renault 8 and, if you're feeling strong, just Renault). There were even some R16 panels the other week. I'd do a weekly check for a while and see what pops up.

If I had a front panel I'd offer it but I'm afraid I haven't. I once bought a new front panel after an accident (1975) and recall that the spare wheel cover was a separate item.

I have a spare, tired but maybe restorable front guard that I scrounged a few years back but I think it's the side you don't want. I'll check in the morning. If it's the correct side you are welcome to it for the cost of getting it from Perth. I had a secondhand front panel in Adelaide but its custodian died 10 years ago and I've never been able to track down where it (and others) went - if Simon could give you Tony Goode's contact details he'd be worth a call just in case they ever emerged. Again if you can find that one you can have it but the chances are small.

Nice to judge you're keeping the car standard - the "heritage side" of me says some of us should keep them the way they were.

JohnW

I've tried all of the suggestions put forward to help me in my quest for R8 front panels, and I've got a couple of things that might just turn to gold.

A huge thank you to my fellow aussiefrogs/Renault fellow travellers -- your interest and helpfulness is both reassuring and a delight in a workday world that is often neither of these things.

Yes, for me, my R8 has to closely resemble an original R8, meaning original appearance and specs where possible and reasonable. And you're right, Simon, it may now be as difficult to obtain R8 bits as R8G parts. Availability of parts is far harder than for an R10, as most would know, and I've learnt that many folk with R8 bits are hanging on to them -- and who can blame them!

Thanks again, guys -- your suggestions have significantly improved the prospects of my beleaguered pet achieving a full recovery! Onya!

I've tried all of the suggestions put forward to help me in my quest for R8 front panels, and I've got a couple of things that might just turn to gold.

A huge thank you to my fellow aussiefrogs/Renault fellow travellers -- your interest and helpfulness is both reassuring and a delight in a workday world that is often neither of these things.

Yes, for me, my R8 has to closely resemble an original R8, meaning original appearance and specs where possible and reasonable. And you're right, Simon, it may now be as difficult to obtain R8 bits as R8G parts. Availability of parts is far harder than for an R10, as most would know, and I've learnt that many folk with R8 bits are hanging on to them -- and who can blame them!

Thanks again, guys -- your suggestions have significantly improved the prospects of my beleaguered pet achieving a full recovery! Onya!
    Clive,

Do let us know how you get on finding those panels.

Best of luck

JohnW

Any suggestions -- even wild, way-out ones -- or possible lines of enquiryto follow up,
    It is probably under the above heading but certainly worth a go.......

R8 New old stock front panel 30
    Fregate new old stock wing os 75 ono 01344 777550

It comes from here.....

http://www.renaultclassiccarclub.com/spares.htm

Thread Information