renault engine building
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default renault engine building

very disappointingly i blew the 16ts engine in my r12 earlier in the week so it will not be at the french car day. on the up side though, now i get to build it up properly.
    my current plans are obviously new bearings, seals, gaskets, rings, etc right through.
    then a set of r18 pistons and liners *does anyone know where i can get a set of high-top r18 pistons???*, fuego inlet valves on the exhaust, a wade cam (125hp gordini grind), polish the head, shave the head slightly, and it already has the twin webbers and the exhaust and headers.
    any other useful suggestions for performance considering this is still a daily driver?
    also anyone out there with a set of 5" r18 alloys, or any other 3 stud alloys for that matter??
    and one last thing, i want to put the gordini reverse air scoop in it, anyone know where i can get one?
    thanks

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by 3006882
    *does anyone know where i can get a set of high-top r18 pistons???*,
    Well, they aren't the same, but I was able to purchase a R12G (ie. 10.25 to 1, 1565cc) set of pistons & liners from Mahle a few years ago...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Note that the 18 liners are O-ringed and the 16TS/12G liners have paper seals. As Europa suggests, probably best going for the 12G piston liner set. You can get the block machined for the 18 liners but it probably isn't worth the hassle.

Given that it is a daily driver I'd say your mods are probably just on this side of spot on without going overboard.

As for other info, probably try Colliers Automotive Services at Granville, a wealth of Renault mod knowledge there, and probably most convenient to you.

For the scoop, try French Connection in Melbourne, David is the genuine 12G Guru, and may have an idea where to obtain the bits. Then again, without all the associated power robbing ducting, the scoop on the LHS of the bonnet may be a bit pointless and take away the stealth nature of a modded 12.

For other hot bits try here www.mecaparts.com

Be ware with some three stud alloys you will need to pump the rear guards slightly, especially if it is a late Virage with the 18 rear axle beam. Also wide tyres and wheels on the front may rub the spring base with the stock non vented 12 discs/hubs. But I would assume that the car already has the vented 15/17 front discs and at least the bigger drums on the rear with the 16TS motor already transplanted.
    Last edited by Simon; 9th July 2004 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3006882
    very disappointingly i blew the 16ts engine in my r12 earlier in the week so it will not be at the french car day. on the up side though, now i get to build it up properly.
    my current plans are obviously new bearings, seals, gaskets, rings, etc right through.
    then a set of r18 pistons and liners *does anyone know where i can get a set of high-top r18 pistons???*, fuego inlet valves on the exhaust, a wade cam (125hp gordini grind), polish the head, shave the head slightly, and it already has the twin webbers and the exhaust and headers.
    any other useful suggestions for performance considering this is still a daily driver?
    also anyone out there with a set of 5" r18 alloys, or any other 3 stud alloys for that matter??
    and one last thing, i want to put the gordini reverse air scoop in it, anyone know where i can get one?
    thanks
    Hi 3006882
    Sounds like a very drivable combination, and as suggested stick with the R12G pistons/liners purely for the reason of not having to machine the block.
    One thing I'd suggest is to look at this web-site(http://www.mototuneusa.com/) b4 you go and modify the head . It makes very interesting reading. He challenges the 'general' asumptions most people make about performance engineering. Even though he is talking motor bike enginesand it's very controversial. I am not talking him up or down, just makes an interesting read either way.
    Good luck with the rebuild.

Fellow Frogger!

machining the block is no problem. this can be done for a couple of cartons of beer (ahhh the real aussie economy).
    Since the original post i have changed my ideas, and am looking at either 16TX pistons and liners, or the american flat-top 17 Gordini pistons. This avoids the problem of too high compression as with 12G and real 17G pistons and liners, and hence the necessity for higher octane fuel.
    Also that the 18 pistons themselves will need to be modified to allow for valve clearance, and they have larger gudgeons.
    I am now assuming that the 16TX and US 17G will not have any other fitting problems aside from the block machining.
    Please correct me if i am wrong, and any advice or tips are useful.
    Has anyone done something similar to this??

Why not just go for an 18GTS 843 1647cc motor with 16TS head? These have the o-ringed liners and won't require machining. It would bolt into place using the 15/17 mounts rather than the fabricated mounts of your 16TS (and TX) block. Also 18 blocks are a lot more common than 16TX and R1316 843 block.

10.5:1 compression of the 12G pistons would require 96 or better octane, ie PULP or 98 octane Optimax/BP Ultimate. Hardly difficult stuff to find, and eventually it will be standard stuff anyway. LRP is going out the window, and I doubt if you would want to use normal 91 octane, otherwise why bother with all the extra carbies and other headwork........

Fellow Frogger!

If you cant get a 12G air scoop, look towards a series 1 R5 TS scoop. They are very similar in design from memory.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Fellow Frogger!

the purpose of keeping the 16ts block and working it it to keep the vehicle as it is on the papers(insurance/rego), and also as the motor needs new bearings as well as the pistons, i would have a complete fresh engine.
    also for some race applications, 1565cc. though this vehicle is more for the pure pleasure of driving than competition.

Tadpole

Default Free R18!!!

Hi there! Just read your post... are you still interested in R18 parts?
    The other day I was in an accident in my R18 station wagon. I have great affection for this car, but unfortunately I’m not in a position to pursue repairing it. There was frontal damage to the car, so the front panels and bonnet are bent, grill, lights, radiator need repairing.
    It has a good engine, 5 speed manual, good upholstery – overall in good condition except for the prang. It was just serviced a week ago!
    It is currently in a holding yard in Woolloongabba (Brisbane) and I would like to deal with it as soon as possible so it won’t cost me any extra money.
    I know it's probably a hassle interstate, but just in case...
    If you're intersted my number is 0411254479.
    Cheers

Thread Information