Radiator Cleaners
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Radiator Cleaners

Hi, does anyone know/has had experience/what is the best brand of radiator cleaner.
    I've had a slow waterloss on the R19. Pressurising the system to about 20 psi showed a few leaks on the driver's side header tank seal (tested in water bath).
    Removing the header tank showed a lot of gunk and about 20% of the radiator clogged. This is a car with 150 000km and a stamped service book and clean looking coolant.
    Cleaning out the radiator with a thin, stiff wire and hacksaw blade was no problem. But now the engine/heater, even though the heater works really well still.
    JoBo

Advertisement

i used one of those caustic liquid cleaners, the type you run for 20 minutes and flush out, and it pulled heaps of crap out, especially all that orange staing on everything as well as the gunk. Just flush REALLY well with the garden hose plugged into a heater hose. Then run the engine for an hour, and flush again, and again, and again. It takes a while to get it all out and I dont think its the stuff you want staying there!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

So it is overheating??

The 19 had an alloy cored radiator, unless it has been replaced in the past. These seem quite sensitive to coolant and do seem prone to corrosion and coolant type. My suggestion would be to take it to a radiator place for a professional inspection as the alloy could be suffering from lots of pinhole corrosion problems, and could be furred up internally with corroded alloy.

Even though the car has been ramped and stamped, there were still some places that used inappropriate coolant for the system causing advanced corrosion.

farmerdave

I've had good results from the Elf cleaner. Elf glaceol coolant is a good bet-and specified by the factory.

Farmerdave

1000+ Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice.
    Used Threebond to seal the tanks to the radiator, Nulon to further clean the system afterwards and Repco concentrate for the coolant 30%.
    Farmerdave is right about using the recommended coolant but don't know where to find Elf. A seemingly knowledable/trained older sales person at Repco said that their stuff is equal to Castrol's.
    There was a comprehensive explaination in Popular Mechanics March '99 page 113 onwards, why it is critical to use the correct coolant and especially not mixtures of different types. Also why it is important not to have concentrations above 50 to max 60%
    JoBo

There was Total/Elf coolant to burn at Brisbane today courtesy of "Onshore Oils, Lytton Road, Lytton" they will post/freight anywhere and have an 1800 number.
    Check their number on "White pages.com.au"

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts

thank you
    JoBo

1000+ Posts

Jobo

I have alway cleaned radiators with a strong solution of swipe detergent followed up with a good flushing with plain tap water.

I use the Nulon Long Life Anti-freeze anti-boil concentrate with 93 per cent Mono Ethylene Glycol (solution lasts 4 years or 250,000km)

I used to use Castrol concentrate you buy at the supermarkets, but found minute traces of other inhibitors could turn the mixture stringy or jelly like.

I buy the Nulon 5 litre pack of concentrate when it is on special and since I have been using this in the 4/5 Fuegos I maintain, I have had no trouble with cooling or discolouration of the coolant. even when one of the cars is not used for long periods.

I use at about the 33 per cent solution (one litre to every two litres) in the system and if topping up the bottle I use a slightly stronger solution depending upon frequency of topups.

I think that I paid around $29 to $30 for the last five litres of concentrate I bought 18 months ago. Haven't checked the price lately.

Ken

Thread Information