Considering a clio sport.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Considering a clio sport.

I'm thinking of buying a clio sport,
    I've been scoping out cars for a few months now & have decided a clio suits me best. I went for a test drive in one at a Renault dealer on the weekend. Absolutely loved it, so nice & easy to drive, beautiful handling & very responsive. The one I drove was an 03', it had 6000kms on it and was $29990 (on road). We didn't get off to a good start, the salesmen went to start it, idled roughly then conked out, did it twice (The salesmens face turned red raw).
    Has anybody experienced starting issues with theirs?? Once we got the thing going, all was good, no problems.

I got a trade-in value on my 405mi16. $800!
    I'd rather ghosty it off a cliff then sell it for 800 bux!

I spotted an 02' model for $25,200 on carsales.com, only has 27,000kms on it. flame red. Owners selling due to new baby.
    has anybody spotted a better deal?

I've heard people complaining about their clios feeling powerful one minute, then like a dogbox the next, due to some ECU fault. Is this true?

Thanks!

Jason

Advertisement

Hi Jason,

There has been a few complains about clios on this forum (go have a search) But mostly the guys love them and have compaired them to the next 205! So if you can get one in the right price range as they seem to be cheap at the moment then go for it. I'll take your car for a grand!!

Cheers Nick
    Auckland NZ -
    2000 Peugeot 406 Coupe, Dark Green.
    2001 Renault Clio Sport RS, Silver.

Brisbane Aus -
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi, Light Blue.

the cold start problem is wide spread and commmon. Don't worry about it, apparantly elf oil fixes it, but you know it is not a fault as such. I have it since new.

other common problems include front suspension knocking (so far no real solution), but I haven't had that.

electric faults in instrument lights coming on (air bag, esp etc).

i had my seat belt worked on several times before a jamming problem was corrected.

there might be some built quality problems like exhausts dropping out? and an engine dropping out???

yeah, that's pretty much it of the bid ones that i can think of.

i find my car to be more powerful after thrashing for a little while, but doesn't drop in power unless it becomes cold.
    Karl
    -----------------

Probably just check the equipment on the 2003 model, there was a running change where ESP traction control was added from May. The 2002 car would not have that fitted and the 2003 car may be worth the extra money overall, as well as it having 20,000 fewer k's.

The rev limiter is also coolant temperature related, so cuts in sooner while the car is cold, this could cause some people to think the car is running poorly. But as Mr fate has just mentioned the starting problem seems well known. Probably trawl through the Australian Yahoo groups RenaultSport Clio forum for other advice too.

there might be some built quality problems like exhausts dropping out? and an engine dropping out???

wow, a whole engine dropping out. I'm not that freakin gullable.

The rev limiter is also coolant temperature related, so cuts in sooner while the car is cold, this could cause some people to think the car is running poorly.
    when i test drove i didnt notice the rev cutout point as the thing revved out too fast for my eyes to follow! but if its a safety precaution thing. thats fine.

Probably just check the equipment on the 2003 model, there was a running change where ESP traction control was added from May
    I'm aware of this, but not really fussed... I can deal with some wheelspin

Find one

Buy it

Drive it...

you definatly wont look back... (unless you are looking at the 180's in your mirror)

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Just don't look at it
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Ahh Phil...

i hought even a frenchman could depict the beauty of the clio...

i dont think it is too hard on the eye. the RCS is a very smart/tough looking car, sleek and minimilastic.

not as unrefined as a normal clio. the extra's make it quite the part.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Only kidding, I'm sure it's very able on the road.
    Just for me the styling is neither here nor there, if you know what I mean

Cheers
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Icon1

why not get the new megane instead. I saw a nice sedan in paddington in sydney and it looked great. A bit of a weird shape where the boot meets the rear window but i love it though....

Fellow Frogger!

probably for the simple reason topic:"considering buying a clio sport"... and there are no megane sports in oz yet.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen
    Only kidding, I'm sure it's very able on the road.
    Just for me the styling is neither here nor there, if you know what I mean

Cheers
    Unlike a Xsara?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Jason20
    I'm thinking of buying a clio sport
    Foxman is thinking of selling ... sounds like a plan ...

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1000+ Posts

Buy one!!!

i love mine to death... its got the "odd characteristic" but its the nature of the car!
    (So make sure you know how biased this post is!!!)

I've only got 1 rattle i can fix easily... & the suspension knock (doesnt affect except on full lock making a noise), so no probs here!

Give GTI124/Linc's thread a read about buying a new hot hatch, a fair bit of good info in there...

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Foxman is thinking of selling ... sounds like a plan ...

- XTC206 -
    Already got an interested party!

But RCS are one great handling car they do everything right but do have a few little flaws. But other than that they are one great little car!!!

Grant

moosey

I prefer the styling of the 2001 Clio Cup model to the current spec - that's why I've recently bought one! Ok, the interior isn't as nice, no climate control, no xenons, but it's quicker and the suspension is also more hardcore.
    Bring on those trackdays!

I sold my Mk 1 back to Renault 4 months ago for $18000. He now has it in the yard for $24.990. I personally loved my Mk 1 and I agree with Moose they look better especially the wheels, but they are a bugger to keep clean. I think the Mk 1 also has better finished seats and they for some reason very rarely suffered from the cold start problems Mk 2's seemed to have. Mine had a knock from the front end when turning hard right in a u-turn. Very reliable car, use to get around 7.6 - 8 litres per hundred around the city using BP Ultimate - i recommend that you use this fuel. They go through rear pads quickly (usually by 40,000) and earlier if driver very hard. They are a very quick car indeed. Why not wait a bit longer and buy the new 182 thats coming out soon.

good luck,

Trent. (now 205 GTI driver)

Thanks for all your suggestions,

My budget is 25k. I wont be buying a car untill I can sell my 405. I'm in no great rush, it's still a great car & I might change my mind. It's not an easy car to let go. Even if it has raped my wallet on several occasions.

Regarding the clio,
    reading owner reviews I found on this site,
    http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Renault_Clio.html
    kinda turns me off. Go for a browse & see for yourself. Theres a fair amount of negative comments regarding reliability & build quality. & judging by the demo car a went in with only 5000 km's on it, which stalled by itself twice & idled pretty rough....
    http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_26081.html
    theres a direct link to a problem someone experienced with theirs, quite shocking.

As much as I'd love one, I think i'll steer clear & get something boring and japanese. My attitude on cars has changed since buying the 405. I want something I can feel confident in on long drives. Don't want to be stuck a million miles from home on some highway because of some shitty insignifcant part that fails causing the car to break-down.
    Why cant toyota/honda buy renault & peugeot...
    If they did, I wouldnt think twice about buying a clio.

take car survey with a grain of salt....

look up citroen Xsara in there and watch the neatives come rolling in. i had a Xsara before the clio and the Xsara was a great motor, the car survey said different..

that site seems to attract those with sour grapes. probably bad dealer experiences which add fuel to their fire and they then get extra bitchy and negative. But from a different perspective... when they sell large amoutns of any cars from Hyundai's through to Mercedes their is always going to be issues ith them all. hell my Dad's M3 is dropping alarming amounts of oil and it also rattles, thats a $140k car

I dont think there is one unhappy Clio Sport owner on this forum, and it is those on here that use thier clio's in much the same manner as your going to.

i can sympathise that the demo car experience may have been a turn off. go to another dealer and start fresh, and turn a new page in your car buying experience and i am sure it will be much better second time round.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    take car survey with a grain of salt....

look up citroen Xsara in there and watch the neatives come rolling in. i had a Xsara before the clio and the Xsara was a great motor, the car survey said different..

that site seems to attract those with sour grapes. probably bad dealer experiences which add fuel to their fire and they then get extra bitchy and negative. But from a different perspective... when they sell large amoutns of any cars from Hyundai's through to Mercedes their is always going to be issues ith them all. hell my Dad's M3 is dropping alarming amounts of oil and it also rattles, thats a $140k car

I dont think there is one unhappy Clio Sport owner on this forum, and it is those on here that use thier clio's in much the same manner as your going to

i can sympathise that the demo car experience may have been a turn off. go to another dealer and start fresh, and turn a new page in your car buying experience and i am sure it will be much better second time round.
    It's a tough call.... I really do want one, You can't blame me for feeling turned off after reading some of that stuff... I've been looking around at hatches for months now & nothing compares to a clio. price, features, performance... my other choices would be a gti180 (can't afford), but i wouldnt mind just a standard gti. they're very nice in their own right, but from where im sitting the clio sport has more going for it. other options, A megane? not my cup of tea. Corrolla sportivo. pfft boring. Ford focus, i've always liked these, but they're getting a bit old now.. they took too long to make it to our shores. Mini cooper S, nice but too pricey. Mazda3, meh...
    what else is there? I'd really like a 306 gti-6, but then i just think back to the clio & the choice is clear.

I know where your coming from about that carsurvey site, sometimes I wonder how genuine some of the reviews are.. but it's hard to justify someone going out of their way to write some of that s**t. The problem with the airbags deploying for no reason is a bit of a worry... & i've seen people on here complaining about the airbag warning light coming on.

jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason20
    I know where your coming from about that carsurvey site, sometimes I wonder how genuine some of the reviews are..
    It was mentioned in a previous posting, but I think the key to understanding the reviews on that site is to look up the other cars that were mentioned and see what those reviews are like.

Or even better, look up your current car and see what people think. I wouldn't be surprised if you'll find mostly poor reports.

When you are truly satisfied with a purchase, do you seek out web sites to tell the world? Chances are you don't. Now, if you are having a bad experience, you tell everyone you know. I think Trish's problem with the Laguna is a good example. I'm not sure if we'd have seen her here if it wasn't for the fact she is not satisfied with her Renault.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts

(Soz for double post...)
    Last edited by nate; 8th July 2004 at 12:53 PM.

1000+ Posts

That Top Gear review...

hmmm i was a bit unhappy with the comments about the parcel shelf & rear boot...
    The parcel shelf & the comparison to "tracing paper" i thought was quite harsh, as the only real functionality i see in the shelf is to hide the contents of the boot! As per the recomendations on my driving courses, putting any sharp/heavy objects on it is just going to make them hit you in the head in a sudden stop, or block your rear view if they're big!
    So making it thin as is in some weird way, ensuring some form of safety & that you dont misuse it...
    The hatch being called tracing paper... well i dont think the hatch is really supposed to be a key structural piece of the car, sure it can have some influence, but i would've thought you'd be better of putting more re-inforcing into the rest of the chassis if you wanted to protect against rear-enders etc... (cheaper & more effective?) than in the hatch itself???

As for the interior build & plastics, well i think its a fair call. It is a cheap-ish layout (compared to higher priced Euro's, Audi's, BMW's etc), but its a cheaper price (as they noted).

Comments?

Everytime i hop out of the clio i have a massive grin on my face. i find myself taking the long way home so i can go for abit of a drive. it is ALOT of car for what you pay

Go for it I got my Clio 6 months ago and love it
    I tested Astra Turbo, Focus ST170 & 206GTI (There were no 180's availiable at the time)The Clio won over them all quite easily- my wife called it the Grin Factor.
    Had a few minor problems since but an absolute cracker of a car
    One problem that I had with starting when using my wifes key
    Not all keys are equal it seems so test both before you pick it up and keep alternating between the 2 - I beieve that they can lose their memory - It works because to cure the starting problems I made the Weak key the main key and have not had a problem since.
    I have had the suspension knock, LH washer jet pops the ball out, a couple of rattles and the trip computer needs to be replaced (keeps reseting)
    But this is one heck of a fun car
    Road car :03 Monaco Blue RCS
    Which will replace the Datsun 180B SSS track car

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information