R21 Marseilles TXE 5 speed
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default R21 Marseilles TXE 5 speed

Hi all,

We may be trading in what the owner has described as a rare Renault - a 1991 R21 Marseilles TXE 5 speed manual. Apparently only 5 were brought into Australia by Renault (the rest were all autos). The owner is fairly confident this particular example was on the Renault stand at the sydney motor show at the time.

It has about 129,000 klms and is in excellent condition mechanically, but the paintwork and interior are average through neglect. It has had a lady owner for the past 8 years or so.

Is it really rare? Is it the sort of car that someone here would be interested in if we do trade it?

Julian

Advertisement

Simon calls these French Magnas if I recall.

Owners of classic examples would probably claim that they are worth a fair bit and threaten court action if anyone suggested otherwise, but there have been a couple for sale in the ACT for a very long time between 2,500 and 6.000 spondulas. The fact that they haven't sold over an extended period is an indicator that they are not in high demand.

I saw a 1990 21 txe manual this afternoon in a local caryard here with a starting tag of 3,900. My guess is you would probably buy it for around 2,000 - if you were interested. That vehicle has about 209,000km on it but the paint is excellent and the interior neat and clean.

A mate of mine bought a 21 manual here four years back with 145,000km on the clock, good paint and a pretty good interior for around 5,000. My guess is that you would push it hard to actually sell one like it at that price now, I'm not saying it is impossible, just improbable.

At the risk of being gunned down by a 21 lover I would think that the kind of buyer interested in a used 21 would be the same kind who would be interested in a used 19.

Most 21's imported were autos but I think manuals are more common than the Marseille owner indicates. Maybe 5 manual Marseilles is believable but you need to remember that a Marseille isn't very different to the other 21's imported.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by BogMaster; 4th July 2004 at 06:42 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Probably best to clarify the model first, the 21 TXE was 1997-1988, it has the Renault badge on the LHS of the grille. The 21 Marseille was the later version 1989 selling through to 1991 with the Renault badge in the centre of the nose and a rounded front like, um, a Magna TM/N/P. Mechanically the manual cars are basically identical.

The cars are rare because they were expensive when new and not so popular. It is surprising that the paint and trim have deteriorated as these are usually the things that seem to last best on Renaults of that era, and those things, as well as it being a Renault 21, are likely to be a reason why the car will not command a high value. I've seen running 21's with asking prices just over $1K. But one with good service history, low k's, and that has been well maintained is likely to provide reasonably reliable, but flair free service.

My thought is that in say 30 years hence the 21 TXE/Marseille is likely to be seen as a latter day Fregate in Australia, interesting but not really sought after.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Probably best to clarify the model first, the 21 TXE was 1997-1988, it has the Renault badge on the LHS of the grille. The 21 Marseille was the later version 1989 selling through to 1991 with the Renault badge in the centre of the nose and a rounded front like, um, a Magna TM/N/P. Mechanically the manual cars are basically identical.

The cars are rare because they were expensive when new and not so popular. It is surprising that the paint and trim have deteriorated as these are usually the things that seem to last best on Renaults of that era, and those things, as well as it being a Renault 21, are likely to be a reason why the car will not command a high value. I've seen running 21's with asking prices just over $1K. But one with good service history, low k's, and that has been well maintained is likely to provide reasonably reliable, but flair free service.

My thought is that in say 30 years hence the 21 TXE/Marseille is likely to be seen as a latter day Fregate in Australia, interesting but not really sought after.
    The vehicle I looked this afternoon was a Marseille then Simon. I didn't look closely at the badgework, but your rounded nose description is spot on.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Phase 1 (88 - 89) were relativly common and came in 3 sp auto and a few manual. Phase 2 Marseille (90 - 91) are a lot rarer and even rarer again in manual. I have heard there were 7 manual phase 2 cars imported. I have a an auto phase 2, and it is a great car. Pretty fast (especially in manual), cheap to run and has a very capable chassis that is very enjoyable to punt along. The phase 2 is a pretty well equipped machine as well, but they are worth not much in todays market. An immaculate low ks one may be worth 7- 8 grand to under a grand for a tatty one and what ever anyone will pay in between. Its a buyers market for these!
    Bloody great car, a great s/h buy for those wanting cheap enjoyable cars (a cut above the 19 by the way...).
    A french Magna only in that it occupies the same spot on the food chain - there is nothing magna like about the way it drives

You will sell it, but for how much and how long it will take is anyones guess. If it needs work, it will only likely sell to a R21 enthusiest. If I had the dosh and needed another car, I would grab it in a second (not buying a nice manual Marseille a few years ago instead of the R25 is something I regretted)
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Tadpole

thanks for all the great background info everyone, it does sound like a great car to own but a hard car to sell, we'll have to bear that in mind when trading it in...

i'll let u all know if we do get the car in, i'm looking forward to trying it out!

julian

In a manual R21, if you pretend hard enough, you can drive as if it was one of these...

www.renault21turbo.com
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information