Clutch Advice for an r19
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Clutch Advice for an r19

Hey all,
    hopin sum1 can help me, went an saw my mechanic today in regards to gettin a new clutch in my 1991 r19. He qouted me round $800 all up . He told me $440 for the clutch then the rest in labour, oils, remachining the flywheel etc. I thought bugger him 440 is way too much, 10 mins on the fone an i managed to get 2 reasonable qoutes.the first was Dapco in Peakhurst(i live in syd) he told me $275 including gst, he said it was Valeo?? the original clutch kit that came with this model(is this true). ASV- qouted me $295 other places dun hav em. If sumone has an idea of wat Carravelle or the other place previously mentioned in Syd(i thinks its Granville) would charge this would be a big help, coz bein a 17yr old p plater an havin to fork out that much is a big ask. Any help in regards to fitting it or other things to check would help coz im prob gonna get one of my mechanics guys to do it at my place,
    Thanks all, cheers

Advertisement

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by REN019
    Hey all,
    hopin sum1 can help me, went an saw my mechanic today in regards to gettin a new clutch in my 1991 r19. He qouted me round $800 all up . He told me $440 for the clutch then the rest in labour, oils, remachining the flywheel etc. I thought bugger him 440 is way too much, 10 mins on the fone an i managed to get 2 reasonable qoutes.the first was Dapco in Peakhurst(i live in syd) he told me $275 including gst, he said it was Valeo?? the original clutch kit that came with this model(is this true). ASV- qouted me $295 other places dun hav em. If sumone has an idea of wat Carravelle or the other place previously mentioned in Syd(i thinks its Granville) would charge this would be a big help, coz bein a 17yr old p plater an havin to fork out that much is a big ask. Any help in regards to fitting it or other things to check would help coz im prob gonna get one of my mechanics guys to do it at my place,
    Thanks all, cheers
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, BUT,

Trust me when I say, You DO NOT want to do this job at home....

Unless you have a hoist, it is the biggest pain in the arse car to do a clutch on....

I would actually think that $800 was semi reasonable considering the amount of labour involved.

If memory serves, and you want the fly wheel machined (which you should do) you have to rip out the engine and gearbox as a complete unit, seperate them on the floor and then shove the lot back in again.

This would not be a big problem in it's own right except for the fact that R19's are posibly the worst "simple" car in the world to work on...

Oh - And you might have to de gas the Aircon, unless you feel like undoing the AC/Alternator bracket with the engine in the car and swinging it out of the way (quite a job in itself from memory)....

Buy the clutch from Dapco direct and get Colliers (granville) to do the work and get it done right.

The flywheel defintely has to be machined and as mistereno said it's an engine out job to do it all properly...

$800 for parts and labour on a FWD car to do a clutch is not too bad ... it's not a sigma or a RWD corola after all... A friend just got their Hyundai cluch done (at a delaer) and that was just under $700.00!

Maybe you should keep these costs in mind and not be so hard on the clutch... an R19 would have to have done buket loads of k's or had a very hard life for the clutch to need replacing... my BX TRI got done for the first time at 295k's!!!!
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by REN019
    Hey all,
    Thanks all, cheers
    It is quite feasable to remove the gearbox without removing the engine. My mate and i have done it. You would need some equipment (jacks, stands, a sheet of steel) and some texterity/skill. (you'd save a lot of time)
    Even if you take the engine/box out as a unit you certaily don't have to degass the A/C. It's tight but not difficult to separate the A/C and p'steering pump from the engine block.
    Having said all this, don't do it unless you are confident/reasonably mechanically competent. Any mechanic/technician worth his salt should have no problem.
    JoBo

Tadpole

Me again,
    Ur thoughts are worthwhile, thanx guys, the funny thing is that my mechanic doesnt know that one of his employees is gonna do it at his place for me, dun worry he`s got all the tools, is WILLING to do it, and knows wat he`s doin. Hahahah nice one Jack Z, i bought the car wit 143,000 on it (now at 148ish), old lady in QLD owned it before me and probly gave it a hard time and the fact that im workin in a tyre shop hasnt helped my cause either, free tyres r a bad thing wen ur young, hahah.
    The guy who`s doin it actually told me he wanted to do it for me, i trust him so im thinkin he`s the best one for the job, also, i asked about the clutch from Dapco(valeo??) if dat was d original one, i jst wanna make sure, anywayz im off for now, have to be at work in 6 hrs

Thread Information