Fuego -Loud scraping rythmic chuff chuff noise!
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Fuego -Loud scraping rythmic chuff chuff noise!

Hey all

You always think the worst when you hear a new noise developing in your Fuego.

I drove my car to Echuca Yesterday and on the way home today, became aware of a scraping noise at about 80kph which then developed into a rythmic chuff chuff noise as speed increased. I always as a habit keep an ear out for new sounds. This one sounded like it was either coming from the front offside wheel or somewhere under the car, like a wheel or brake rubbing, , or something flapping from the wheel or a vee belt. Checked the speedo to see if the needle was flickering in case it was referred noise from a kinked speedo cable, and it was pretty steady.

Advertisement

Stopped the car at Rochester and had a good look around the car - nothing - under the bonnet - nothing, plenty of oil, nothing obvious. Got back in the car and drove on towards Melbourne, put the car in and out of gear and noise is obviously linked to speed only, engine revs o.k..

Pushed back of hand against the perspex covering the speedo area and voila! sound became less, obviously speedo cable....Yep that was the answer, so kept going and sound disappeared before Heathcote. I will probably put in a new replacement inner and outer cable that I have rather than try to re-lubricate the old cable inner. (you run the danger of oil migrating up into the speedo itself)

Noise was quite loud and the initial scraping noise quite disturbing and as I said the speedo needle was only flickering slightly, so that made me initially discount/dismiss the cable as the cause. So if you hear a scraping Choof Choof noise...........don't panic!!

Now just have to get a nice day to spend replacing cable, spark plugs and doing other small odd jobs on the car Otherwise car ran well.

Ken.
    I suppose the comedians will have afield day with this post!!!.

Isn't that why they put radios in cars, so you don't have to do jobs like these.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

Ren

Thats my sons answer!!!, his Fuego always has a deafening sound wave crashing around from the stereo whatsit. But then of course Dad will fix the end result, won't he!!!

Reason that I have been keeping a close ear on engine etc sounds is that this Fuego sat for quite a few years in less than ideal storage while owned by the proverbial "little old lady" ist owner (verified by the service history mileages) until I purchased it and have now driven it 40,000 km to bring it up to its current 82,000 plus kms.

I have noticed that when it is parked on an uphill slope, the oil seems to drain back and on starting, the engine emits some light clattering noises (just like dry hydraulic tappet noise) but only momentarily. None of my other Fuegos have done this even with extended mileage, so i wonder if the long periods of inactivity have caused deterioration.

That was the reason that I was so keenly listening for "different" noises as I am wondering what will be the next progression of the engine "clatter"
    Car is due for a bit of extended minor maintenance and I intend to adjust tappets etc, change spark plugs, tighten sundry bolts and chase down the very minor oil leakage that is only now spotting the driveway. I intend to change transmission oil at the same time.

I wonder if any other Fuego owners have experienced brief top end clatter at startup due to oil draining back into the sump. & what to look for/or fix, when I takeoff the cam cover. (cam belt was changed just after I purchased the car) Any ideas appreciated. (Have been putting off this work while waiting for some warmer weather as us old guys don't function so well in cold weather!!)

Otherwise I am just enjoying my Fuegos.

Ken

I too am 'enjoying' listening to engine and other noises in my Fuego. But this is due to the total absence of a stereo system not for any desire to find faults. Although there's an annoying rattle coming for the passenger door (or the general vacinity) that driving me batty and I'm going to have to fix or buy a stereo soon. Mind you, the cars so noisy I don't think I would hear the stereo anyway.

Could you oil problem be due to having an oil filter witrhou a non-return valve?

Ren
    Last edited by REN TIN TIN; 2nd July 2004 at 02:22 PM.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

Thanks Ren

Hadn't thought of the filter, will change that anyway when I do the oil change.
    Therattle in the vicinity of the passenger door could be the seat belt roller or
    the internals of the passenger door.

Ken

Default More Fuego Noises

Hi, guys. Here's another one on noise: Some months ago we loaded up the fuego with pavers - it's only a work'n'back car anyway! The back suspension was always quite soft but now there's an annoying squeak in the rear springs. I notice it only when others are in the car with me (self conscious, I guess). There's also a squealing sound when the steering wheel shround rubs against the column shroud, all the time, probably since I lost a heap of little bearing pins, which are all over the carpet.

Is there a recommended lubricating procedure for each of these hassles?

1000+ Posts

Gonz

Since the noise in the speedo cable "went away" I've put that under passive (do nothing) consideration. On the first of your noises I suggest that you and your girlfriend get into the back seat and try and pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from (top, bottom of spring, exhaust area,limiter valve area, shock absorber etc) after a pretty vigorous bouncing routine the problem area should/may become apparent and be confirmed by inspection of that specific area.

The other is a relatively easy and inexpensive fix - get a new replacement bearing from Caravelle, (it is not expensive) and fit same in the tube surrounding the steering column. You will notice a great improvement in the feel of the steering wheel and no noises.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    Gonz

Since the noise in the speedo cable "went away" I've put that under passive (do nothing) consideration. On the first of your noises I suggest that you and your girlfriend get into the back seat and try and pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from (top, bottom of spring, exhaust area,limiter valve area, shock absorber etc) after a pretty vigorous bouncing routine the problem area should/may become apparent and be confirmed by inspection of that specific area.
    Following on from Ken's suggestion, perhaps it would be better if you folded the back seats and you and your girl friend entered through the hatch. As Ken suggests, do some vigorous bouncing and give the springs a thorough work out. Being in the boot area, you should get better leverage than you would do in the back seat.
    If you are inclined, you may wish to invite a third party along to listen out for the source of the noises and, if necessary, assist with the bouncing.
    Even if you don't find the noise there should be some enjoyment derived from the hunt for the source.

Ren

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    Following on from Ken's suggestion, perhaps it would be better if you folded the back seats and you and your girl friend entered through the hatch. As Ken suggests, do some vigorous bouncing and give the springs a thorough work out. Being in the boot area, you should get better leverage than you would do in the back seat.
    If you are inclined, you may wish to invite a third party along to listen out for the source of the noises and, if necessary, assist with the bouncing.
    Even if you don't find the noise there should be some enjoyment derived from the hunt for the source.

Ren
    Not sure that I would want to be the third party - seats down and vigorous bouncing - I think I'd feel like a voyuer!
    If the problem is only there when there is a passenger (presumably in the passenger seat) it may be worth seeing if the noise is there if the passenger used the rear seat. Had one of annoying noises in one car that only occurred when there was no passenger -tightened up bits and pieces on the seat and noise went away! Ken's thoughts on the seat belt retractor are interesting - it is one of the few things that is unloaded under normal driving and may get the rattles.
    Ron
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Tadpole

Default Fuego squeak in the rear

I had an annoying squeak in the rear as well and it was shortly after I carried a few hundred weight of pavers. The noise turned out to be the brake limiter there is a pin which should slide through a nylon/plastic guide my guide was badly worn so it was metal on metal and the sound must have been magnified somehow. I made up a replacement guide from a sleeve from one of those nails sparkys use to hold conduit saddles with. I just removed the nail and reamed out the hole a bit. have done it on 2 cars now and it works a treat.

Thread Information