Renault V6 vs Nissan V6 - Who came first?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault V6 vs Nissan V6 - Who came first?

Are Renaults being powered by Datsun engines?

Today looking at Formula Renault V6 Eurocup I discovered that the cars run a 3.5L V6 and not a 3L as I had previously assumed. Thinking about the Renault/Nissan association I searched for the spec's of both engines.
    The Renault is a V4Y 701 from the Vel Satis and the Nissan a VQ35DE from the 350Z. Both have the same bore and stroke of 95.5mm and 81.4mm respectively, and the same compression ratio.
    I take it that these are the same engine, just like the early 90's Mazda 323/ Ford Laser engines but why the different engine codes?

Further confirmation of the "same engine" theory, the Dallara Nissan World Series and Formula Renault V6 have just merged for 2005 and are to be running 420hp Renault engines (50hp up on the current Renault and 5hp up on the Nissan) in the Nissan series Dallara chassis, (Renault series runs Tatuus chassis).

Advertisement

So is the engine Frog or Jappo? It's not like Nissan has ever designed an engine with athletic lungs, however the VQ series engines have been in production since the mid 90's.

Who designed the engine?
    Why the different engine codes?
    What differences are there?

...have a look at these....

http://www.histomobile.com/histomob/...?chat=24&lan=2

(read years 1970)

http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/history.htm#VE30DE

read the whole thing if you like,
    otherwise check par. third generation (click on DOHC VE30DE)
    fourth generation(click on link)

http://autozine.kyul.net/html/Renault3.htm

Vel Satis story with Nissan reference....but second section deals with Avantime and lists a V6 Renault/PSA developed...go figure

http://www.renault.com/gb/groupe/alliances_p2.htm

again a good read....DOWNLOAD the NISSAN/RENAULT alliance booklet 2003...good info read...(more Justins teritory) 500k PDF...
    (shows actual pics of component shariing..ie engines and 4x4)

The second link from top is particularly good reading.....

so to answer.....Vel Satis...does run the same engine...

Re engine codes.....don t know....Differentiation I suppose....maybe parts will be dearer for one country ie..in japan, same part for renault may be dearer....they do make lots of cash from parts....maybe tax reasons ...god knows....there must be a justification of some kind...

As for : "What differences are there?"
    Between which engines.....????The VQ fourth gen are the same (i m asumin)....ecu might get differnt tune.....I m not sure how the emissions regs. affect different countries...ie france/japan....

But I would not worry to much by it....french had V6es in 30tees....then there
    was the PRV....plus the 24 valve version of the same .......I m assuming thats the "source code" behind the 24v V6 in the clio V6...????

interesting anyway.....

hope this helps....

cheers

dino

phewww....

OK guys, correct me if wrong but...

Renault V6 from R30 until Laguna V6 Phase I was the PRV V6 motor (started at 2667cc, increased up to the 3000cc mark (not sure of exact cc's)

Originally designed to be a V8, it lost two cylinders allegedly because of the fuel crisis in the 1970's - this explains it's non-optimal 90 degree bank configuration. The original version had twin coils and an unusual distributor arrangement to handle the uneven firing caused by the crank being optimised for the original V8 setup. Later this was corrected and balancer shaft(s) were added to help smooth the engine. 24V heads were also used for Safrane.

Now we have the Nissan V6, which I would imagine would really be a heck of a lot better, being a much newer design from the ground up. The PRV motor lasted quite some time!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I thought the current Laguna used the same V6 (PRV derived) as used by PSA in the 406, C5 etc?
    Time Flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana
    Xantia

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik
    I thought the current Laguna used the same V6 (PRV derived) as used by PSA in the 406, C5 etc?

don't quote me on this but i think the laguna used the even fire version of the PRV as used in the later volvos

the early ones had the odd fire but it all depends on the age of them

the 406 was the 60deg engine

604/605/XM/laguna were all 90deg odd and even fire versions

i also think oddfireV6 on this forum not long obtained a laguna or safrane or something like that for an even fire unit

the original basis of the engine was used in numerous cars and makes over the years including the Delorean and the eagle premier and of course the talbot tagora overseas
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Laguna Phase II (not sold in Australia, subtle changes to headlights/taillights/bumpers etc.) got the later 60 degree V6 (not the Nissan one though)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Thread Information