R16TS comes off second best to 4WD
  • Register
  • Help
    dbc

Default R16TS comes off second best to 4WD

The hero of this story loaned his R16TS to a family member. The villain of this story drives a 4WD with bull-bar. The family member (mother) has had both hips replaced, so breaking power of R16 was greatly compromised. Result: my lovely 1969 R16 sustained some extensive panel damage.

The attached photographs are not for the faint-hearted.

Advertisement

The car is in pretty good condition considering it's 35 years old. Despite the damage, it still starts first time, every time. There does not appear to be any mechanical damage, but this is difficult to judge because I can't lift the bonnet. It drives okay, but the steering is more loose than normal.

I need some advice. Obviously, don't loan your car to a family member with dodgy hips. But more importantly, can this type of panel damage be repaired by a panel beater or would it be better to try and find second-hand panels from a (more) wrecked R16? I can't bear to see another R16 sent off to the wrecker, so feel obliged to do the right thing by it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R16TS comes off second best to 4WD-mvc-818f.jpg   R16TS comes off second best to 4WD-mvc-819f.jpg   R16TS comes off second best to 4WD-mvc-821f.jpg   R16TS comes off second best to 4WD-mvc-822f.jpg   R16TS comes off second best to 4WD-mvc-824f.jpg  
    1969 16TS
    1995 405 SRI

they are such a great car it really is a shame im so sorry....

Quote Originally Posted by dbc
    But more importantly, can this type of panel damage be repaired by a panel beater or would it be better to try and find second-hand panels from a (more) wrecked R16? I can't bear to see another R16 sent off to the wrecker, so feel obliged to do the right thing by it.
    Is the chassis still straight?
    It would certainly be a challenge for a panel beater to fabricate new repair panels for the inner and outer guards and bonnet. While not impossible, it would surely be expensive so replacement panels would be the way to go if you can find them.
    Like you say, there aren't that many old Renaults on the road any more and it would be a shame to see another one scrapped.

Hope you've taken out a contract on the driver of the 4WD (or are the Melbourne gangsters only interested in killing each other these days)

Ren

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

As Ren has said, chek the chasis rail for being bent, but otherwise I'd say the damage may not be as bad as it looks. However lots of unpicking welds etc to replace the inner valance, with probably the engine and gearbox needing to be removed to provide space to do it properly. While checking the valance see if the rack crossmember has been pushed across the front of the car too (look for freshly cracked paint/underseal), which may impact on the LH chassis rail. This would get expensive. However Id say it could be beaten roughly (very roughly) to shape with the rest being replacement parts, if the front end hasnt been pushed across. Probably whip it into David at French Connection for him to give an idea on cost (if you wish someone else to repair it) and spares availability.

Being an early 16TS, if the chassis is straight, and rustfree and the suspension bushes are OK, Id say it would be worth replacing. Beware though that the cost of repairs is likely to exceed the value of the car, so it really does come down to emotional value to a certain extent on whether you think it is worth repairing.

Fellow Frogger!

Default wrecked 16TL

it's a shame to see that happen, but on the up side i have seen it recently on a 16TL, but it was the rear end. i'll check up and send you a PM with the owner details. as far as i can remember, the front end needs a paint but is definately straight and i think rust free.

Default R16 repair

Hi,

Talk to me if you are located in Melbourne. I have various 16 panels and parts. Mobile is 0409 906 108 or 9890 6108
    Happy sixteening

JohnE
    Happy Sixteening ... John E

Icon14 Repair it!

My Dad bought a 16TS new in 1968/69 and to this very day still raves about it.
    I was rather disappointed in there not being one at the French Car day in Sydney. In fact there were no 15/17 either. The other thing to remember is the early imported 16's had dipped bodies so treating it after the repair is important.
    These cars deserve a colt following they were the begining of the HOT hatch,s ( no I am not going to debate it) When Dad tried to insure it the insurance company were at a loss to what to call it They tried the sports car approach then the commercial approach I as for a normal sedan NO I thing dad settled on a Staion Wagon GO figure!

dbc

Quote Originally Posted by reno1154
    Hi,

Talk to me if you are located in Melbourne. I have various 16 panels and parts. Mobile is 0409 906 108 or 9890 6108
    Happy sixteening

JohnE
    Thanks reno1154, I will probably give you a call about the 16 panels and parts. First I have to make sure that the chassis is okay - to tell whether it is worth repairing the panel damage. I have a bonnet and a bumper, but will still need various other parts. It is surprising how few 16s I see on Melbourne streets these days. A couple of years ago they were relatively common - now they are rare. So I feel obliged to keep this one on the road. It has been garaged all (or most) of its life, so it is pretty much rust free.
    1969 16TS
    1995 405 SRI

Quote Originally Posted by dbc
    Thanks reno1154, I will probably give you a call about the 16 panels and parts. First I have to make sure that the chassis is okay - to tell whether it is worth repairing the panel damage. I have a bonnet and a bumper, but will still need various other parts. It is surprising how few 16s I see on Melbourne streets these days. A couple of years ago they were relatively common - now they are rare. So I feel obliged to keep this one on the road. It has been garaged all (or most) of its life, so it is pretty much rust free.
    Good man!!! Reallly sorry to see the photos. A good friend of mine here in Perth had his 16 written off by two 4WDs a few years ago - one stationery in front and one unable to stop on wet bitumen behind!

I have a spare vent panel - the one behind the bonnet - if that is damaged and you need one. Sent my early model grill to Vivid only a few months back.

If it's any help to your decision, we had our R8 repaired for twice its "market value" about 20 years ago and it's still going and much loved. Repairs paid for many times over.

I'd support Simon's comments regarding the steering rack position too. I have a steering rack or two now I come to think of it. Anything you can't find in Melbourne, do ask as I'll help if I can.

There's a steady supply of NOS R16 front suspension and steering arms on ebay from USA by the way. Even the odd panel. The other source of bits is Europe, particularly Holland - one of the few good Renault 16 pages - email me if you want info and I'll dig it out.

Chin up. There aren't enough good 16s left to throw another away.

JohnW

You could always look at the point of view that had it been not a higher than your normal car 4wd it would have hit the wheel and wrecked the strut, and probably shattered the gearbox housing.

Your light is ready to send, just trying to find a good fitting box to protect it from the ravages of Aussie Post. (Ben you there)
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserman
    You could always look at the point of view that had it been not a higher than your normal car 4wd it would have hit the wheel and wrecked the strut, and probably shattered the gearbox housing.
    No struts to bend on a 16, just chassis rails, wishbones and torsion bars :-)

Thanks never really seen one close up. Dad used to reckon that they were a great car, very versatile etc. When I was a kid used to see them all over the place, but now it is a real treat to see one being driven around. Sad to see any car arrive at an untimely end. Though much less so if it is a crummydoor or a foulcan.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hmm,

I'd be getting out a tape measure and ensuring the car is still straight, possibly get it on a frame that'll check the body isn't twisted/bent.

If the body is straight, it should be a simple matter of drilling out heaps of spot welds on the car and removing the damaged panels, do the same on the parts car. It'd be simple as anything, to fit the new panels just MIG the drill holes close again

My mother drove a lime green 16TS for years, it was a bloody fantastic car, she still reckons it's the best car she ever owned. She sold it to my uncle who 2weeks later wrote it off (a tourist from oversees accelerated through a giveway sign into it). The impact hit squarely on the front wheel. The damage looked reletively minor until you looked at the car front on and could see one windscreen pillar was straight, while the otherside was very crooked .... ie: the whole bodyshell was buckled as hell. The R16 took the impact extremely well but it was a definate writeoff.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Default R16TS Comes off second best .....

I can supply the right side fender, front bumper, torsion bar, steering rack, indicator lights, radiator for the cost of freight & handling if you need them give me a call on 0402 319 724. I am in Adelaide.
    Regards Philip

Thread Information