Fuego Problem
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Fuego Problem

Default Fuego Problem

I have a problem with a 1985 Fuego. It is running very roughly and there is a line of oil spray that has appeared on the exhaust manifold. There is no oil pipes on that side of the engine and so I assumed that it was being blown out between the head and the block. I compression tested the car when it was cold and found that all the cylinders were around the same pressure(163-172 psi) so now I have my doubts as to it being the head gasket. The car is also backfiring and totally gutless at the lower speeds but improves as the engine revs increase. There is no perceptible sign of water in the exhaust and no obvious loss of water in the system. Any suggestions as I am desperate!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Fwaygo
    I have a problem with a 1985 Fuego. It is running very roughly and there is a line of oil spray that has appeared on the exhaust manifold. There is no oil pipes on that side of the engine and so I assumed that it was being blown out between the head and the block. I compression tested the car when it was cold and found that all the cylinders were around the same pressure(163-172 psi) so now I have my doubts as to it being the head gasket. The car is also backfiring and totally gutless at the lower speeds but improves as the engine revs increase. There is no perceptible sign of water in the exhaust and no obvious loss of water in the system. Any suggestions as I am desperate!
    Headgasket is leaking oil from the oil gallery where it goes from the block to the head, which is at the rear right head stud. VERY common problem for these motors, but no big deal to change a head gasket on these things.

The power backfiring could be many things, but a good tune up (inc checking valve clearances, plugs, leads, filters, idles mixture etc) and assessment of the emmision control stuff is in order.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Blocked breather hoses pressurising the crankcase, causing oil leaks and backfires??

1000+ Posts

Fwaygo

Without knowing the originality of your engine setup, its hard to diagnose the trouble. Most times when an engine starts running roughly, you usually find a hose has slipped off somewhere allowing additional air into the carby.

Sometimes the carby Solenoids (anti post firing system and Co constant cut-out solenoids) have worked loose where they screw into the carburettor (they have single wire leads going to a spade connector) and this will effect the running of the engine.

Oil sprayed around on the exhaust side of the motor may happen as a result of the oil dipstick working loose or dislodged due to back pressure in the crankcase, this will release a significant amount of oil into the engine compartment.

As suggested Fuegos do sometimes develop an oil leak on the drivers side rear corner of the engine gasket. It can also be an oil leak from the rear camshaft seal that gets onto the pulley and belt that drives the power steering pump, but this is usually easy to trace by the spray line on the underside of the bonnet.

Does your Fuego have a manifold heat transfer tube that goes around the rear of the motor and fits neatly onto the filter inlet? If this is missing or not connected the carby can freeze up (mainly on freeways and country driving) and the engine will become gutless and blow clouds of black smoke as it chews through the petrol.

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you ? as there may be one of us nearbye that could have a look over it, or you could get Paul from Auto Paris or Dave from French Connection to look it over. Both have a loyal following of Renault owners who swear by them.

What how and where this first occured or became noticeable may also help pinpoint the actual problem. What was the condition of the spark plugs when you removed them (oily?) (Black carbon?)

I would not immediately link an oil leak as the cause of a gutless, rough running engine, unless it was blowing heaps of white smoke from the exhaust and the plugs were oiled up.

I have had one car with a faulty ignition unit/top dead centre senser set up, that cleared up immediately I put secondhand replacements on the car. It was very intermittent and the car would run poorly especially at slow speed but would go ok on the flat as long as you kept the revs up, this also could be the culprit.

Ken

We pulled the carburettor off and replaced it (this time with hoses that didn't have large splits down the side) as well as trying to clean out the PCV valve as best as possible and so far (touch wood) it's running fine again. Thanks heaps for the suggestions, we'll see if it flares up again and then it might need a bit more done to it.

Thread Information