taking clio skiing!
  • Register
  • Help

Default taking clio skiing!

hi everyone

am planning to go to the snow this winter but am still undecided whether i'm gonna be flying down or driving down. if i drive down is there anything i need to be cautious of for my lil clio? anything i need to do or not do?

any tips you people provide will be greatly appreciated

cheers

Advertisement

Icon10

clio and snow is a very euro combination it will look great. I guess if your going skiing the car will need ski racks of some sort. Again very trendy these days but im a big sucker for those things.
    Id take some sort of beginners wheel chain set just in case also. I think you can get them from supacheap auto but i might be wrong there....

Default Clio in Snow

I believe that the car is more suited to those conditions than our heat.
    The only real decision as to taking the car is where you go.
    I Ski at Perriser Blue and leave the car (Honda) for the entire time in the Ski tube car park at Bullocks flat. I suppose that easy for me I stay in a lodge.Bullocks flat is out side the national park and dont need chains except if there is a blizard and then you may need them from as far away as Jindabine or further.
    And as for ski Racks my only thought are
    one they are a big give away to the COPs and there will be at least Five Mobile tax collectors on the way,
    two prone to denting the roof and the noise drives me nuts.

If you do get chains, make sure they fit and are not the sort that will damage the alloy wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    clio and snow is a very euro combination it will look great. I guess if your going skiing the car will need ski racks of some sort. Again very trendy these days but im a big sucker for those things.
    The implication from this statement is that people fit ski racks even though they have no intention on skiing?

Tell me this isn't true!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Tadpole

Default Skiing with Clio

Rola (and I think Rhino) have roof racks to fit a Clio. They are pad mount: 4 plastic pads are riveted to the roof, and 2 removable crossbars are fitted. Covers fit into the pads when croosbars are removed. Not cheap, but removable, and not too noisy even when crossbars are on. Ski fittings are extra - there used to be both lockable and non-lockable (cheaper). Check rola.com.au - site has prices of racks and accessories. I'm getting some later this week for my Clio, mainly to carry bikes but also skis occasionally. You can buy direct, but with pad mounts you're better off buying from someone who will fit them (usually free). When the crossbars are off, the pads are pretty unobtrusive, and the bars are easy to fit and remove.

You'll need chains to enter the National Parks in both NSW and Victoria, but don't buy unless you expect lots of return trips in the same car. Chains are wheel/tyre size specific, so hire from a garage/ski shop below the resort you're going to. If staying on snow, consider leaving your car down the mountain in secure parking (eg: Jindabyne for Perisher or Thredbo, Mansfield for Buller, Bright for Hotham, Mt. Beauty for Falls Creek) and catching a bus up. This avoids chains, and park entry fees should be part of the bus fare. In over 20 years of skiing in Australia, I've only ever had to fit chains a couple of times, but park staff can be over-zealous at the slightest sign of snow. Basically, chains are a pain in the ass both to fit and drive with.

Change your coolant for an anti-freeze mix.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Nole; 27th June 2004 at 04:40 PM.

Tadpole

I've taken my Clio RS snowboarding heaps of time here in NZ and it handles it very well. I have a set of konig chains which are very each to fit. You can do it in about 10 mins with a bit of practice. There's not a lot of space in the wheel arches on the RS but it can be done. Go for a diamond pattern as this give a smother ride. I've got thule roof racks which don't require any nasty permanent roof brackets. The rear rack can be a bit of a pain to fit because the bracket slide in between the rear side window and the body. But a 5 door wouldn't have this problem.

The ski field I usually go to has a 14km access road that is pretty brutal I haven't noticed any ill effects. Not sure what your access is like in Aussie but you don't have real mountains anyway, do you?

Year before last I went skiing at Guthega in the 205 and it coped fine. Even started first go after sitting in the cold for a week. Will have to post the photo of it with a big snow hat and wipers in the air! Certainly was better than the old Suzuki before it, which needed to be pushed in circles a few times to clutch start
    I also have the Koenig chains, they are easy to put on (in the snow with gloves on) and won't wreck your alloy wheels.
    We don't have real mountains in Australia, nor do we have real roads up them either To get to the Guthega carpark from Kosciuszko National Park entrance is approx 43km of varied surfaces, including tar, concrete, gravel, dirt, and of course ice. And that is just the road to the public car park, the road down to the old power plant/pumping station is even worse I think you would need a tracked vehicle, even in summer. Perisher is at least sealed access all the way.

Of course this doesn't stop people in 'pretend 4WD' vehicles from trying to overtake you on a turn because they can drive anywhere like they saw on the TV commercial . But then again, every time I go to the skifields I see at least one of said vehicles sideways/inverted in a ditch It concerns me to think these people may take the same attitude to their skiing/boarding as well.
    Last edited by whitegoshawk; 16th July 2004 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Guthega is further than I thought
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Xantia Activa CT - Chock full of upsy-downsy goodness!

1000+ Posts

Ski Chains?
    we just covered this one on the Yahoo site...

Pretty sure the consensus was that you're not supposed to put em on?

I picked up my RSC last Friday week and drove it straight to the snow that night. I'm loving it, great car! The fuel efficiency's pretty good even sitting at about 125km/h on the freeway. In corners the thing absolutely wails, so stoked with my purchase! I even got a wave from another RSC driving the other way last night

Icon2

janus sounds like your loving it. Great to hear....

Hell yeah I'm loving it, great car! Plenty of grunt for a 2L engine, the thing really hugs the corners nicely too

The aftermarket cruise control I had fitted is carp though, have to drop it in to get fixed this week, it varies by about 7km/h, and surges to full power, then off completely, it's a total lemon

Fellow Frogger!

ski chains? snow? - geez you guys are really daring! the handbook says NO CHAINS for the RSC! I'm surprised those of you who used it didn't damage the car.

sorry, I may be a wimp who loves his car too much!

We went to Selwyn on Thursday because Thredbo was closed, the roads were covered with snow by the afternoon, I didn't use chains and the RSC went great, nice to know the ESP system works too

Quote Originally Posted by blue2th
    ski chains? snow? - geez you guys are really daring! the handbook says NO CHAINS for the RSC! I'm surprised those of you who used it didn't damage the car.
    Can you explain that to the National Parks people?

Quote Originally Posted by (National parks website)
    If you are driving a two-wheel-drive vehicle, you must carry properly fitting snow chains from 1 June to 10 October on the following roads:
    Kosciuszko Road beyond Sawpit Creek
    the Island Bend/Guthega Road for its full length
    the Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin.
    Or you just have to park at the Skitube car park, I guess.
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles... Radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." - Albert Einstein

Xantia Activa CT - Chock full of upsy-downsy goodness!

Default Even from jindy you could need chains

Its a case of your stuck with condidtions as good asthey are you could need chins from Jindy just to get up the first hill. But the ski tube is your best bet.
    The situation with the need to use chains is the same as 46% of all accidents are speed related. Beurocrats that make misinformed decisions.
    Even 4WD drives must have them and they will not accept snow tyres.
    Interesting that in the rest of the world have made snow tyres the norm as it saves the roads one wonders but the cost of such things for Just a couple of trips is prohibitive.
    Frustrating.
    My best sujestion is stay at "the station" and pay for the bus to the tube or if you are staying in the snow ( only way to go)
    get a special Snow taxi mind you itisnt cheap but he is good
    PH 0412045894
    Graeme.

Thread Information