Most original 16TL in the world??
  • Register
  • Help

Default Most original 16TL in the world??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....482086452&rd=1

Advertisement

Interesting that people try to qualify original, you cant have most original, it is either original or not. In this case it has been modified with non original rust proofing therefore rendering the car non original. A bit like unique really.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

glad to see its pulling some decent money - worth every penny and hopefully means it will be maintained in its amazing current condition. This is the find that every classic car nut has wet dreams about

Original is easily qualified - the most original is the one thats closest to its original condition.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Wrong my friend it is either original or it isnt end of story. Any time you say nearly original, or mostly original means that it is not original, that it has been changed or modified in some way.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

ok fine - then its the closest to original R16 TS in the world. I thought I was pedantic...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Original or not, it's still a bloody nice 16TL.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

If dirt gets in the carpets, because I have muddy shoes, does that make it less original?

What if a bird craps on it?

What if I change the oil or the spark plugs?

How can any car be "original" - surely it gets less original as soon as it is made?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Default Originality plus what happened to the car in question

Greetings fellow pedants!!!

A couple of things, or even more than two! Pedantry rules, right?

1. The car sold for nearly A$9,000 and was worth every cent. I emailed the new owner to explain why I didn't bid against him!!! He may well sell it on and can arrange transport to the other side of the planet. I can't afford it, although I'd love to, but someone else might. The Renault 16 remains a greatly under-rated classic.

2. I reckon Renault should buy the car but no doubt they won't even know it is around.

3. It would last much longer in Australia if only someone could afford it - cheap for one of the most original and least used 16TL examples anywhere.

4. Re originality: we could argue for years but I reckon rust proofing at the time of sale doesn't really materially affect the originality of a car for all practical purposes. Different colour, mechanical parts etc of course do, but it's stretching things to argue this car is not original. Only my view, and it doesn't affect the logic of the other argument, just that the logic is pretty extreme. My 16TS isn't original as I've bypassed the mechanical fuel pump and fitted an electric one because of its intermittent use. But it's pretty damn close to original. Absolutely nothing else has been changed since new. It drives like an original 16TS in every way. Just starts better after 5 weeks.

5. Moving on, what an amazing car, just amazing. I drooled.

JohnW

Thread Information