Seats in Scenic
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Seats in Scenic

Tadpole

Default Seats in Scenic

First timer on internet. Find front seats in Scenic uncomfortable on long trips, any one replaced them with different type.

Advertisement

Icon4 Scenic seats - be careful.

Hi Bill,
    I haven't found the seats too bad but the longest I have driven so far is about 300 kms. However, I could do with a little more legroom (I am just about 6 foot so anyone taller would probably feel the same - headroom is ample). I have looked pretty closely at the seat mounts and they are just flat mounted to the floor, so I have thought about just making a spacer of rectangular hollow steel tube (about 30x30) which bolts to the existing holes in the floor, with the seat bolting on about 40-50 mms further back on top of the spacer tube. So this would raise the seat by 30mm and allow 40-50 mm more rear travel which would increase legroom quite a lot. Maybe I would then need to grow longer arms to reach the (bus-like) steering wheel! This would always be removable and not modify the basic chassis.

Note that changing the seats will lose your side airbags (they are mounted in the side of the seats near your shoulder) and besides the safety consideration, disconnecting the cables to the airbags will cause a system problem with the airbag electronics. Note the cables under the seats connecting the airbags to the body - if these get damaged you will get a system problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    First timer on internet. Find front seats in Scenic uncomfortable on long trips, any one replaced them with different type.

I have to agree with Bill. I find the seats uncomfortable on a longer trip. But I have found every other car I have owned equally uncomfortable. I think fordman makes a very good point about the airbags. Even putting a seat cover on effects the safety /deployment as I found out when I tried to find seat covers for my scenic.

Icon1

the driving position is rather truck like but from what I had heard it was really quite good on long trips....

Tadpole

Default scenic Seats

Thanks for your replies, I am just over 6 feet and find head room great, I have also since learn't about air bags when looking for seat covers to try and soften the seat. looks like I'll have to put up with the seat. The wife is shorter and doesn't have a problem, but if I let her drive on long trips my nerves are worse than the sore behind.

Default Seat covers & Airbags

Bill,
    I have had some nice front seat covers made for our Scenic with clever cut-out area for the airbags to deploy and not covering the backrest tray tables. The seat cover makers had done them before and have a pattern. Come to think of it, the lambswool covers do make the seats a bit more comfortable, I suppose.
    I will post a photo and the makers details when I get "a round tuit".
    Regards.

Tadpole

Thanks Fordman I would be interested in name and number of maker for car seats. Have been looking at getting tailor made in another city but they need the car to measure seats and I havent found the time to take it to them.

Default Sheepskin Covers

Bill,
    My covers were made by Prestige Sheepskin & Lambswool Products, 15 Exhibition Drive, Malaga, W.A., 6090. Phone (08) 9249 1699, Fax (08) 9249 1322. E-mail: [email protected]
    Internet: www.prestige-sheepskin.com.au (Darn - that's probably all I needed to tell you!)

There are lots of options - this is how mine were described on the order:
    Renault Scenic, 2004 Air Bag, Light Grey, "Combo" material, "Vertical" lines, Renault Badges fitted, Front Seats. Price was $395.00 in Feb 2004.
    (Combo material means genuine lambswool on main panels and synthetic sides and back - Vertical lines are the seams on the main panels, you can also get them with "Across" lines if you prefer). Light Grey seemed to be the closest colour to the interior - looks good - and how are the Renault badges!

I am attaching 2 photos - after seeing the rear view pic I have realised the cover needs adjusting a bit - it looks a bit sloppy doesn't it!
    (The airbag is deployed from the little plastic cover in the corner of the cut-out in the seat cover near the driver's right shoulder).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seats in Scenic-scenic-rear-view.jpg   Seats in Scenic-scenic-front-view.jpg  
    Last edited by Fordman; 27th June 2004 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Add Photos

Tadpole

Thanks Fordman, I shall get in touch with them, they look like the do a good job.

Default Sheepskin Seat Covers

Sorry, I dont know how to refer the other thread to this one so I am just bringing it to the top - may be these people have also done Laguna seats?

Cheers
    Fordman.

Thread Information