Shift Light
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Shift Light

Tadpole

Default Shift Light

Hi all,

I've been doing some reading on the renault forums and apparently the RS Clio has a shift light in the dash. Is this right? If so where is the light situated and at what RPM does it come on?

Advertisement

I've never seen a shift light come on before in my 02 RSC, or have I not been driving the car hard enough?

Cheers.

Hi & welcome scoobydoo, ,

There is a green shift light that comes on (I think 500 rpm before cutout) but it is a bitch to see out of the corner of one's eye. It is located in the bottom right corner of the speedo panel - not the best place to look at when hurtling down the road.

I've never seen a shift light come on before in my 02 RSC, or have I not been driving the car hard enough?
    It took me at least 6 months to notice it on my car, too busy focussing on the road.
    I'm fairly certain it was in the whole mk2 range and not just the updated models with traction control/EBD.
    + =

when u turn ur car on to reds... look out for a gear stick which lights up green.... thats the one that lights up at bout 6500rpm.... take care!!!!
    Jaime....

"Honda makes power for the hell of it, Renault makes power you can use".

welcome, if you adjust everything right (steering, seating) you should be able to see it. But when you are hitting that kind of rev you probably don't want to take your eyes off the blind corner coming up at warp speed.
    I think the position of revs that trigers the light varies, in first gear it comes on wells hort of the cut off for eg. But usally between 67500 and 6950.
    Also I think some owners find that after thrashing it for a while, the shift light comes on later in the rev range...
    Karl
    -----------------

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by storms_of_fate
    I think the position of revs that trigers the light varies, in first gear it comes on wells hort of the cut off for eg. But usally between 67500 and 6950....

i reckon you would see more than a light at those sorts of revs
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by storms_of_fate
    Also I think some owners find that after thrashing it for a while, the shift light comes on later in the rev range...
    The shift light is coolant temperature sensitive. If it is below a certain temperature the shift light comes on earlier.

So I suppose that is right, after it has been thrashed when it is cold, it would come on later in the rev range as the car warms up.

a little trick which lights up ALL lights on the dash. keep your finger on the trip computer button then turn the key to ON. you will get all the lights/signals plus your tacho/speedo will bounce its way up and down...pretty cool trick

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo
    Hi all, I've never seen a shift light come on before in my 02 RSC, or have I not been driving the car hard enough?
    I hope you'd be busy concentrating on the road at that rate of acceleration ... shift lights are pretty much useless for all except the absolute gumby drivers .... anyway the rev limiter is only just 500rpm away and that'll tell em - What's the rev limiter in the RCS like ? is it soft and controlled (pretty much like the 206GTi) .. or is harsher and throws you about ?

Configurable shift warning sound could be more useful for some people ... (by configurable I mean you set the rev limit - within a few hundred RPM of redline if so desired - or at 2000rpm if you're silly enough) and you can enable or disable the function)

Can't see it happening somehow.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    i reckon you would see more than a light at those sorts of revs
    ahhh stupid extra zero....
    Karl
    -----------------

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    What's the rev limiter in the RCS like ? is it soft and controlled (pretty much like the 206GTi) .. or is harsher and throws you about ?
    Configurable shift warning sound could be more useful for some people ... (by configurable I mean you set the rev limit - within a few hundred RPM of redline if so desired - or at 2000rpm if you're silly enough) and you can enable or disable the function)
    Can't see it happening somehow.

- XTC206 -
    Its pretty soft, doesn't throw you or anything I quiet like it.

I want that stupid rain sensor function disabled. Funny out of all the automated functions, rain sensor is the only thing I haven't, because I can't. tells you a bit about the automated this and that rubbish used in sales pitch.
    Karl
    -----------------

what is it you don't like about the rain sensor ?

is it too touchy ?

or is it the wipers go mad when a truck goes the other way and covers you in spray ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

The rev limiter in the 16 valve is a little harsh, it threw me around the other day, i was shocked, was so concentrated on the corner that i forgot to change from 2nd to 3rd. But anyway all in good form, i hate shift lights on monster tachos. Why do you need your whole frikin car to be lit up blue, yellow or red. Its blinding! The one on the RCS is cool ive seen it, not too "sik" if you know what i mean.
    1989 BX 16 Valve Mk1 - SOLD (And Missed)
    http://www.bx16v.cjb.net
    1992 R32 GTSt Skyline

MAF

shift lights are pretty much useless for all except the absolute gumby drivers .... - XTC206 -
    I disagree. I have a multi-stage shift light in my car and its great for track work. I'd much rather see the lights than wait for the engine to bounce of the limiter. And if you try to say that you can always look at the tacho, then that's shifting the attention off the track. I admit you tell when an engine is about to rev out just by listening, but everything sounds pretty similar between 7500 and 8000 revs.

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by MAF
    I disagree. I have a multi-stage shift light in my car and its great for track work. I'd much rather see the lights than wait for the engine to bounce of the limiter. And if you try to say that you can always look at the tacho, then that's shifting the attention off the track. I admit you tell when an engine is about to rev out just by listening, but everything sounds pretty similar between 7500 and 8000 revs.
    The light is only useful if you can actually see it (notice it) without losing concentration on the road, it maybe easier to see then the actual tacho ... but I get the impression from the RSC owners here, it's not that easy to see.

And Track is completely different to street .. WRC cars all have rather obvious shift lights with good reason, and some don't run a Speedo the driver can see (the co-driver can see it for liason stages) - you don't want the driver freaking out at 200kph+ on a gravel road.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

at night time it is good, can see a distinct glow out of the corner of my eye...

I have an aftermarket shift light in my track car and its the best investment. Last thing want in an underpowered FWD casr is to hit the rev limiter aand loose all your momentum.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

reminds meof the VDC light in the Focus, you have no idea it's flashing away when you're at anything except straight ahead...now, let's see...when would the VDC light flash at you...around a corner...yep, well done Ford

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    what is it you don't like about the rain sensor ?

is it too touchy ?

or is it the wipers go mad when a truck goes the other way and covers you in spray ?
    nope, its... the fact that unless its raining really heavy, it will never work. But if it is raining really heavy, it goes on constantly, so defeats the purpose of the sensor.

it's always too touchy, or doesn't work. very light rain fall? No chance of working, gets a little heavier, goes intot he constant wiping mode. changing sensitivity helps, but it means constantly changing it, and constaly switching it on and off again so it'd work when the rain gets heavier or example. load of crap. same as the light sensor. If i could deoption that stupid rain sensor and have the good old interm siping, i'd do it.
    Karl
    -----------------

the system i have in the 306 can be a little touchy but most of the time it works great

they can be on normal sweep when driving but as soon as you stop at an intersection they go back to intermitant

they can go ito overdrive when it gets heavier or a truck goes by and you get covered in spray but they come back to normal

if they go mad for too long i just flick the switch to normal speed and flick it back to auto after the rain dies off a bit

the renaults must be a different setup or the multiplexing if they have it and the comp control is all stuffed up in the software
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

The light is only useful if you can actually see it (notice it) without losing concentration on the road, it maybe easier to see then the actual tacho ... but I get the impression from the RSC owners here, it's not that easy to see.

And Track is completely different to street ..
    Spot on XTC206, it is impossible to see properly on the road, IMO.

The handful of times the car has been on a track I've actually found the light to be of some use - on the straights when chasing someone. All my concentration is centered on the track+car ahead and it is easier to look for the green flash of the shift light and change up (if I miss the change in the engine note) rather than look down at the tacho.
    Still have to move my eyes downwards slightly, but it is better than trying to read the tacho in 4th gear @ ~190.

Quote Originally Posted by MAF
    Quote Originally Posted by parry
    Last thing want in an underpowered FWD casr is to hit the rev limiter aand loose all your momentum.
    Completely agree with both of you, especially the bit about bouncing the rev limiter and loss of momentum; takes the fun out of being on the track.
    + =

The shift light I have is very very bright, so no need to look down, you can see it without taking your eyes off the track ahead.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Mmmm rain sensor wipers suck on the Clio. They never work when u need em to and you cant just set the wipers on a nice intermitent sweep the way u want. The rear wiper is even worse.

1000+ Posts

my rain sensor is fine, a little touchy when the drops are really small, but apart from that its sweet.

Shift light? hmmmm i dont think i do THAT badly by listening to the revs, but if you're doing some serious work & really wanna push the envelope then maybe an aftermarket shift light would be useful...

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    my rain sensor is fine, a little touchy when the drops are really small, but apart from that its sweet.
    What is it with your car, you are the only one who has the door lock on the CORRECT side, and you are the only one so far, who is happy with the rain sensor. I'll swap my car with yours!
    Karl
    -----------------

what.... he got the door lock on the correct side... hmm...

although i am happy with my rain sensing wipers. they work well

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information