Fuego Fuses
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Fuego Fuses

Default Fuego Fuses

Can anyone share with me how the fuses in a Fuego are numbered and what circuits the fuses protect.
    The Haynes manual lists two different fuse alternatives (US or UK spec.) but both are different from the fuse panel in my Fuego. It looks like two fuse positions were taken out of the middle of the top row and replaced by one smaller plastic fuse folder.

Ren

Advertisement
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

should have a sticker on the fuse cover telling you whats what. Failing that, pull fuses and note what stops working
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    should have a sticker on the fuse cover telling you whats what.
    Nope, no sticker, nothing etched in the lid, no screenprinting on the board, ZIP

Failing that, pull fuses and note what stops working
    Good theory, the problem is that there are some things that already aren't working even though the fuses look okay. There's probably some dirty connections in the circuit somewhere but I'd like to start somewhere without having to do every connection.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Ok all you helpful Fuego owners, out with your digital cameras, take a picture of the sticker to help him!

I'd do it, but I'm 120km away from Mum's Fuego...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Happy to send you a fuse cover with sticker intact, but I wont be able to do it for a couple of weeks as my parts Fuego is on the farm in the country

Happy to send you a fuse cover with sticker intact, but I wont be able to do it for a couple of weeks as my parts Fuego is on the farm in the country
    If you have one scan it and get the moderators to post it as a sticky as I've never seen a Fuego fuse cover with a legend. Even the cover I've got at home doesn't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    If you have one scan it and get the moderators to post it as a sticky as I've never seen a Fuego fuse cover with a legend. Even the cover I've got at home doesn't have one.
    Can do - but it will be a while. KenFuego or Mistareno should be able to help faster

Can do - but it will be a while. KenFuego or Mistareno should be able to help faster
    Cool, should be interesting to see as I never knew there was such a thing. Weird how I don't own a Fuego but just want to see the sticker.........

Cool, should be interesting to see as I never knew there was such a thing. Weird how I don't own a Fuego but just want to see the sticker.........
    I agree, I seen a few Fuego fuse covers but none of them ever had stickers on them or even the remains of a sticker on them.

Ren

Mum's has one - it's a big yellow sticker with lots of really strange diagrams on it.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts

Spent hours on the damn things working out what they all did, and "somewhere" I have drawings etc...(just need to find them)!!

The wiring is a bit different to the Haynes and can differ slightly car to car depending upon what your local auto electrician has wired or bypassed in the circuitry.

I will try and hunt out my diagrams over the next few hours and see if I can scan them in or describe.

In the meantime maybe someone will come up with the goods.

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Mum's has one - it's a big yellow sticker with lots of really strange diagrams on it.
    That'll score it extra points at a FCD concours then!!

1000+ Posts

REN TIN TIN

Well have searched out my notes, and I don't think just the sticker would be too helpful unless you can decode the Renault symbols!! The sticker is Renault part # 7700 726073

There is an upper and lower row of symbols corresponding to fuse numbers on the circuit board (but of course you cant see those numbers unless you remove the circuit board as they are printed on the upper side.

In the Haynes manual I see that I have marked figure 10.12 on page 217 as OURS - but be aware the upper row shown is the lower row on the sticker.- confusing yes it is, but I am sure you will cope.

Anyway to my notes. First I will give the sticker symbol number and then in brackets what I worked out by checking my circuitry. starting with the TOP ROW of symbols.left to right.

18 - Fog lamp symbol (Rear fog light) 5amp
    16 - Instrument gauge? symbol? (Interior lights) 5amp
    14 - Blank no symbol.
    12 - Auto box symbol (not used) can have an ordinary fuse position or have a short black fuse base, none are used on ourcars.
    10 - Window up and down arrow symbol (left hand window) 16amp
    8 - Frost/sun symbol (airconditioning) 25 amp.
    6 - Interior light symbol (Interior lights) 8amp?
    4 - Demister symbol [Fuego] (rear demister) 16amp
    2 - Left hand or nearside light symbol (Left hand tail light) 5amp

Lower row of symbols on sticker. left to right.

19 - Brake light symbol (stop lights) 16 amp
    17 - Radio? symbol (accessories) 5amp
    15 - Front wiper? (Wiper motor) 16amp
    13 - Rear reversing light and fan symbol (Reversing lights) 10amp
    11 - Demister symbol [R18] (Rear wiper) 16 amp
    9 - Window uup and down arrow symbol (Right hand window)
    7 - Wiper (park) symbol (Windscreen wiper) 5amp
    5 - Cigarette lighter symbol (Cigarette/clock) 5amp
    3 - Righthand or offside light symbol (Right hand tail light) 5amp
    1 - Direction arrows horizontal symbol (Flasher units ) 8amp

I have not had time to re-check the fuse amperages against all the material I have, it would appear that some fuses control feeds to other equipment and that will account for higher than expected amp settings.

It is easier to work on the circuit board and fuses by removing the two ? screws holding the panel in place under the dashboard and then releasing the circuit board by undoing the two screw that hold it in place. Carefully examine the circuit board for any signs of burning of the printed circuit this will indicate a poor contact/heat problem. Also examine and, I advise, resoldering the joints at each end of the fuses as these become brittle with age and make the fuse loose in the holder.

Badly burnt contacts can be bypassed by identifying the wires exiting the burnt circuit, then soldering new leads to the fuse base (I drill a small hole in that area and wind the copper wire around the base of the fuse holder leg and solder it in place. This means that all circuits are still protected by fuses but bad contacts bypassed and I use crimped connectors to complete the circuit.

Poor contacts can be rejuvenated by wiping a small amount of solder on the printed circuits where the green/? connectors push onto the board. You may find that auto electricians have already soldered wires direct to the printed circuit board (not a good connection) to bypass problems.

Also the main feed (large yellow wire) from the alternator usually needs attention at the first connector at the rear of the engine bay, if you unclip that connector and examine it closely it usually exhibits signs of heat and deterioration, just cut the wire each side and bypass using normal crimped connectors.

Hope this helps.

Ken.

Icon10 That little yellow sticker.

Took a quick photo of the sticker.

Dunno if its a help or not... here it is anyhow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuego Fuses-fuses_sticker.jpg  
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    Took a quick photo of the sticker.

Dunno if its a help or not... here it is anyhow.
    Thanks for all your help folks. Should be able to work it out now.
    I had a look at the board at the weekend and what amazed me was not there were a couple of thing not working, but that anything at all worked.
    The board was covered in a layer of dust at least a millimetre thick, various wiring 'modifications and additions' were in existance, burnt wires, badly corroded connections, etc.
    I think I've sorted most out now, still a couple of dodgy electrical items to go.

The sticker looks good. I'll have to see if I can find one.

Ren

1000+ Posts

Ren

Thats the sticker that is on mine also, so most should correspond. And I see that you found the usual wiriing mods, some are good but some are really lousy where they have just used resin cored solder to attach direct to the circuit on the board.

the boards that I have re-done using the wire connected through the fuse end of the holder are quite solidly attached with resin cored solder, and so far have worked faultlessly.

Note also that the circuits I identified probably have other similar purposes. I tried to pick up the Renault description of the symbols, but the PR 2000 booklet (that relates to the Renault Microfiche films doesn't specifically list those symbols by name) (Just about anything else!!) If somebody else has access to an official symbol "decoder" this may give more specific information to help all of us.

Ken (and thanks Vivid for posting the image of the sticker!!)

Curious - except for my first Fuego that would occasionally get a warm fuse board on rainy nights (ie lots of electrical stuff on ), neither of my Fuegos had any real problems with the electrics and were both in original un mucked with condition

Here's my take on the definitions from the sticker:

19 Cruise Control
    18 Fog Lights
    17 Radio
    16 Instrument Cluster
    15 Rear wiper / Sunroof
    14 Blank
    13 Reversing lights / Heater fan
    12 Automatic transmission
    11 Rear window demister
    10 Electric Window
    09 Electric Window
    08 Airconditioning
    07 Windscreen Wipers
    06 Interior Lights
    05 Cigarette Lighter
    04 Rear window demister
    03 Turning lights (Right)
    02 Turning lights (Left)
    01 Hazard lights (?)

So it's a bit odd, we seem to have a couple fuses for demisting. Plus a few other odd ones. Just adds to the fun.

My dad installed a CB radio in Mums Fuego years ago, amazingly even he was unable to stuff up the electrical system hehe

The sticker looks like it's common to the R18 as well (fuse 11 is rear demister in the R18 and fuse 4 is rear demister in the Fuego).

I'm sure all Fuego aren't as bad with their wiring as mine. Unfortunately, Renault in designing their fuse board didn't leave any way of attaching additional accessories (eg. alarm, doof doof, etc.). A couple of spare switched and unswitched spade terminals would be nice. The only way to add things is to splice into an existing wire which I personally find undesireable.

I'll be adding an additional small fuse box so I can add things without butchering the existing wiring.

Ren

Well, I knew the wiring in the Fuego was dodgy and yesterday I received proof. In peak-hour traffic on one of the busiest roads in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas:contacts" /><st1:Sn><?xml:namespace prefix = st2 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><st2:City><st2:place><FONT color=black>Brisbane</FONT></st2:place></st2:City></st1:Sn><FONT color=black> smoke started pouring out from under the dash as the ignition switch decides to go into meltdown. Fortunately I was in the left lane and managed to coast into a bus stop so I didn't block traffic. (Maybe I should of, the tow truck would have been a lot quicker I'm sure)</FONT> </P><P style=[/img]<FONT color=black><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o:p></o:p></FONT></P><P style=[/img]
    It was well and truly dark by the time the tow truck got me home but a cursory look over the wiring under the dash and under the bonnet doesn't look like any other wiring has shorted. All I had on at the time was the motor and the lights and the lights still worked after the meltdown.
    Don’t know why the switch burnt out, maybe the cooling fans ??
    Are Fuego ignition switch fragile and prone to burning out??<o:p></o:p>

Ren
    Last edited by REN TIN TIN; 23rd June 2004 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    Well, I knew the wiring in the Fuego was dodgy and yesterday I received proof. In peak-hour traffic on one of the busiest roads in <st1:Sn><?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p></FONT>

It was well and truly dark by the time the tow truck got me home but a cursory ...
    What happened to the story! Damn I was looking forward to it, peak hour car stopping stories are always the best! (Not the best for the driver, of course!)
    </st1:Sn>

What happened to the story! Damn I was looking forward to it, peak hour car stopping stories are always the best! (Not the best for the driver, of course!)
    </st1:Sn>
    It must be one of those create your own story lines so I'll start it off......

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    Well, I knew the wiring in the Fuego was dodgy and yesterday I received proof. In peak-hour traffic on one of the busiest roads in.....

Robertstown when *poof* the interior of the car was suddenly filled with smoke, sparks flashed ominously to the beat of the music emitting from the eight track stereo........

Robertstown when *poof* the interior of the car was suddenly filled with smoke, sparks flashed ominously to the beat of the music emitting from the eight track stereo........
    .... followed by the gear lever boot catching fire and the gearknob resin core melting into a boiling treacle-like substance. The resin treacle then poured into the drivers footwell and stuck the drivers left foot to the carpet.....

1000+ Posts

Ren

Ignore the unwashed and unable (posts) The Fuego's ignition switch (IMHO) is trouble free electrically. A poorly maintained switch may occasionally jam but a puff of graphite onto the key usually cures this.

The problem is more likely to be with some previous owners auto electricians attempt to fix or add something and causing a short in the circuit when the next person tries to sort out the wiring.

It is unfortunate that the Haynes manual and the Factory manuals (that I have seen) electrical schematics do not seem to correspond with the Australian models. I have been hoping to either locate an Australian factory manual with a local wiring diagram or that some Renault experienced auto electrician with years of experience will supply us with a definitive explanation of the original factory wiring. (PLEASE)

When trying to sort out electrical problems on a Fuego, I usually (as a first step) remove the circuit board and put in one that I have renovated after removal from another Fuego at Pick-a-part. It is pretty much a trial and error process.

Some problems that I have found are shorted wires on the Fog lamps due to accident and fans inoperative as well and other simple earthing return problems from dirty contacts in bulb holders and circuit to circuit board contacts particularly the rear light circuit boards and other things have been wet weather "gremlim" faults as moisture redirects current!

I also have an auto electrician mate who does a basic check on both my work and dodgy connections. Unfortunately he never worked on Fuegos, but did work with french truck systems.

The factory manuals do have a fold out wiring diagram complete with colours of wires and termination codes, but these do not correspond exactly with the Australian cars (why I don't know).

All that I can suggest is that you perservere with your car and if all else fails develop a friendship with an ex Renault auto elec. and post your findings here!

Ken

Sorry for the anti-climax but I managed to roll into a bus stop so didn't block the traffic. The worst that happened is that I got some dirty looks from the bus drivers for the 50 minutes or so that I was waiting for the RACQ tow truck.

Next time I'll try to break down somewhere more exciting.

Code:
     Robertstown when *poof* the interior of the car was suddenly filled with smoke, sparks flashed ominously to the beat of the music emitting from the eight track stereo........<!-- / message -->
    God I wish I said that. But hey, I don't have an eight track stereo (or any stereo, or even mono for that matter).

Ren

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information