Renault Laguna Privilege LX
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Icon9 Renault Laguna Privilege LX

I'd like to get some information from fellow Renault Laguna owners about any problems they are experiencing with the automatic transmission in these V6 versions. I bought the Laguna just over a year ago and have had nothing but trouble with it. At the moment it is still sitting at the dealer's workshop after 7 weeks of being off the road in an attempt to fix the car. I have written to Renault on several occasions and they never respond.

Advertisement

Any info would be really appreciated.

Try phoning Vicki at Renault customer relations

1800 009 008

Or try your local motoring organisation NRMA/RAA/RACV etc for other advice.

Out of interest, what are the symptoms...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I certainly hope they gave you a new Laguna to drive while yours is being fixed!! If you lived in the US, you would have had a new car by now - they have great "lemon" laws.

I would have expected them to at least have dropped a new transmission in by now if they havent been able to fix yours. But if they cant, it sounds like you need to try another dealer.... Autos are not that complicated, and they can be fixed! 7 weeks to diagnose and fix an auto is absolutley bloody hopeless - no wonder Renault are not doing well in Oz if they work like this. Not a good way to build up custmer loyalty

But get onto Renault, and keep hassling them until you get a response. How is the car apart from the auto?
    Last edited by Haakon; 16th June 2004 at 08:41 PM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Weird, it's a Japanese Aisin-Warner auto in the Laguna V6. It's used in quite a few different cars. It's not so popular amongst Volvo people because it won't take more than 350Nm of torque

What is the problem exactly? Are you having any rev flares during shifts, sensation the car feels like it's in neutral when kicking down gears as you try to accelerate? I know there have been some valve body issues with the gearbox.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Icon1

vicki like has been said already you need to keep hassling the dealers with ferocity.
    Are you in sydney?
    What are the issues that you are having? It should not take that long to fix a gearbox. Id be fuming if i was you....keep hassling them and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Weird, it's a Japanese Aisin-Warner auto in the Laguna V6. It's used in quite a few different cars.
    I didnt know that - I guess Renault finally gave up on autos . But if this is the case, they have NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER for not been able to fix it - it should be familiar territory to most auto trans repair shops!! This trans is one of the reasons I wasnt so scared about recomending a Volvo auto to my brother - Aisen Warners are relativly cheap and easy to fix in Oz compared to more exotic euro trans.

Vicki, please dont blame the car too much for this. Every car maker builds cars that have glitchs, but the fact that this has been drawn out so much firmly points at the dealer, not Renault.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Try phoning Vicki at Renault customer relations

1800 009 008

Or try your local motoring organisation NRMA/RAA/RACV etc for other advice.
    I have tried to phone her, not reply. I've written to her, no reply. I had a solicitor write to her, no reply. What's left to do except physically go down there myself.
    Last edited by TriciaL; 17th June 2004 at 12:45 PM.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Out of interest, what are the symptoms...
    The syptoms are:-
    the gearbox never seems to know whether to change up to 3rd or stay in 2nd. It changes down to 2nd gear at 120kms on the freeway if you should touch the brake slightly and then can't get back up a gear unless you brake harder or force the accelerator down. The gearbox clunks severly at all gear changes, but very prominent at low revs or when stopped at lights and then you take off. There is also a serious clunk in the front end which they have repaired once but it has re-occured. Overall I am totally unhappy with the car after spending $60K. The motor for the electric window had to be replaced 3 weeks after I bought it. The motor for the passenger seat is still waiting to be replaced after it started making horrendous noises. The drink holder fell apart in the dash, etc. etc. The list goes on forever. They tell me Renault France has to provide a new chip for the gearbox which they aren't prepared to do because the problem only seems to occur in Oz.
    Last edited by TriciaL; 17th June 2004 at 12:44 PM.

Tadpole

Icon13

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    I certainly hope they gave you a new Laguna to drive while yours is being fixed!! If you lived in the US, you would have had a new car by now - they have great "lemon" laws.

I would have expected them to at least have dropped a new transmission in by now if they havent been able to fix yours. But if they cant, it sounds like you need to try another dealer.... Autos are not that complicated, and they can be fixed! 7 weeks to diagnose and fix an auto is absolutley bloody hopeless - no wonder Renault are not doing well in Oz if they work like this. Not a good way to build up custmer loyalty

But get onto Renault, and keep hassling them until you get a response. How is the car apart from the auto?
    The car is crap for the money. They only hired me a Magna last week because I complained to the Dept of Fair Trading that they had my car for such a long time. As for keeping onto Renault, they totally refuse to take any calls or reply to any letters.

Tadpole

I didnt know that - I guess Renault finally gave up on autos . But if this is the case, they have NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER for not been able to fix it - it should be familiar territory to most auto trans repair shops!! This trans is one of the reasons I wasnt so scared about recomending a Volvo auto to my brother - Aisen Warners are relativly cheap and easy to fix in Oz compared to more exotic euro trans.

Vicki, please dont blame the car too much for this. Every car maker builds cars that have glitchs, but the fact that this has been drawn out so much firmly points at the dealer, not Renault.
    The dealer has been getting absolutely no support from Renault. They have heard of this problem before but I guess not enough people have complained to make them do anything about it. Pretty sad when you spend $60K on what is supposed to be European quality and luxury.
    Last edited by TriciaL; 17th June 2004 at 12:42 PM.

Tadpole

The dealer has been getting absolutely no support from Renault. They have heard of this problem before but I guess not enough people have complained to make them do anything about it. Pretty sad when you spend $60K on what is supposed to be European quality and luxury.

Tadpole

[QUOTE=TriciaL]QUOTE]

Tadpole

The syptoms are:-
    the gearbox never seems to know whether to change up to 3rd or stay in 2nd. It changes down to 2nd gear at 120kms on the freeway if you should touch the brake slightly and then can't get back up a gear unless you brake harder or force the accelerator down. The gearbox clunks severly at all gear changes, but very prominent at low revs or when stopped at lights and then you take off. There is also a serious clunk in the front end which they have repaired once but it has re-occured. Overall I am totally unhappy with the car after spending $60K. The motor for the electric window had to be replaced 3 weeks after I bought it. The motor for the passenger seat is still waiting to be replaced after it started making horrendous noises. The drink holder fell apart in the dash, etc. etc. The list goes on forever. They tell me Renault France has to provide a new chip for the gearbox which they aren't prepared to do because the problem only seems to occur in Oz.

The car is crap for the money. They only hired me a Magna last week because I complained to the Dept of Fair Trading that they had my car for such a long time. As for keeping onto Renault, they totally refuse to take any calls or reply to any letters.

I have tried to phone her, no reply. I've written to her, no reply. I had a solicitor write to her, no reply. What's left to do except physically go down there myself.

Wow - that is crap!! (sorry Tricia - dont know where I got vicky from...)

Sounds like you scored the proverbile lemon (its still a better run than we had from a Falcon at work a few years ago...)

I cant believe they made you wait 6 weeks without a car and then only gave you a hired Magna!! My friend at work got a brand new C class Merc FOR THE DAY during a routine service on his A class Merc - thats customer service!!

It defiantly sounds like a transmission computer software issue - why didnt they just change the computer and its wiring? That would seem to me to be the quickest way to fix it. This so obviously a straightforward warrenty issue that should and could be solved quickly - its only a matter of finding the faulty part and having it freighted out from France if need be and fitted. If they cant nut it out, they shouldnt make you wait for their education on Laguna electrics - they should just start replacing major components until its fixed!!!

Who out there knows of problematic Lagunas? I was under the impression they were pretty good

Have you tried discussing the cars problems with another dealer, or an auto trans repair shop?

Might be worth asking the NSW or National Renault Car Clubs for some help - someone might be able to advise better or apply some muscle to these turkeys for you!! Try talking to the NRMA as well - they may be able to advise on your rights and advise a course of action. I would be pushing for compensation for your time and stress (and lost earnings/ costs associated with being without a car for so long!!)
    Last edited by Haakon; 17th June 2004 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TriciaL
    This is starting to sound like an all too common experience. If a car suffers a problem which isn't covered by a service bulletin issued by France, it seems to be deemed by VDA as not a warranty issue for some crazy reason. That certainly sounds like a Colin Chapman way of approching R&D and warranty hassles!

I'd just suggest more full and frank letters from the solicitor to the dealer and VDA or approach the Office of Fair Trading or NRMA for their assistance to solve the problem following on from them helping to obtain your rental car.

No wonder the Laguna II seems to have such low resale values!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    No wonder the Laguna II seems to have such low resale values!
    Hopefully this is an isolated case and not representative of all Lagunas.

Mind you as the sort of guy who buys cars secondhand, I have absolutely no problem with poor resale values!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Mind you as the sort of guy who buys cars secondhand, I have absolutely no problem with poor resale values!
    Amen to that brother!!

Icon13

tricia that scenario is totally unacceptable. There is no excuse for that kind of treatment and I think you have been very fair and reasonable in relation to what u have explained to us all here on aussiefrogs.com
    Id be cranking up the abuse if it was me and demanding another Renault and demanding that they fix the car or else you will take extreme measures. This situation is healthy for nooone and is very concerning to all involved. Id call another dealer if you have one close by. Failing that put the car on a back of a truck and take it to a french car expert in your state and bill VDA and Renault SA.
    This sort of garbage cannot continue.....If Renault are to do well here in Australia .
    Have you demanded to talk to the Manager within REnault Leon Daphnie i think his name is.....?.
    What do you guys on here think i think is totally disgraceful treatment. If i paig 60K for a car I would have gone on "aca" "today tonight" already about it i think....

I cant believe they made you wait 6 weeks without a car and then only gave you a hired Magna!! My friend at work got a brand new C class Merc FOR THE DAY during a routine service on his A class Merc - thats customer service!!
    Ahh, if your brother services the 850 at the right places, he can beat that and probably pay less

The gearbox problems sound like French characteristics (ie. holding gears, downshifting under brakes) gone overboard.

To be honest, if Renault aren't going to budge, threaten them with taking it to the media. It sounds like you don't have much more passion left for the car, so what do you have to lose.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

[QUOTE=Pug307]Weird, it's a Japanese Aisin-Warner auto in the Laguna V6. It's used in quite a few different cars. It's not so popular amongst Volvo people because it won't take more than 350Nm of torque
    QUOTE]

Which series is it? AW7X?

You'll never beat the old AW71 out of the 2XX,7XX and 9XX volvos. One day when I have enough money, I am going to buy one with a healthy box, and make it my mission to destroy it. I don't know if its physically possible. I remember one time, pushing the lever back to 2nd at about 100-110kmh (well within its reaches - 6k rpm-ish), and the device that locks you from grabbing first without pushing the button in failed to stop the lever! Needless to say, it was teh quickest I've ever hit the rev limiter in a car. Didn't have any issues though!

Not the first I've heard in not so good news about the current Lagunas... Pity, as they are a great package.

Tadpole

Thanks for all your suggestions.
    For the latest update, it's 7 weeks today and they finally got a part yesterday but unfortunately they now need a harness which won't be here until early July. BUT, they have assured me that when they have the part the car will be turned around in 48 hours. I'm so comforted now to know that my car will have been at the dealer 10 weeks by the time it's fitted.
    I think the media is definitely my next option. Dept of Fair Trading feel the case is closed now because they arranged the Magna for me to get around in.

Quote Originally Posted by nchandler
    Which series is it? AW7X?
    Nup, they're old news. Bloody agricultural things compared to the latest ones

Current 5 cylinder S40/V50/S60/V70/S80/XC70/XC90 use the AW55-51, it's a compact five speed FWD auto.

SAAB 9-3 & 9-5 use it, Nissan uses it in the Maxima, Opel used it in the Vectra, it has a few applications amongst the various marques.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Tadpole

Icon8

Quote Originally Posted by TriciaL
    I'd like to get some information from fellow Renault Laguna owners about any problems they are experiencing with the automatic transmission in these V6 versions. I bought the Laguna just over a year ago and have had nothing but trouble with it. At the moment it is still sitting at the dealer's workshop after 7 weeks of being off the road in an attempt to fix the car. I have written to Renault on several occasions and they never respond.

Any info would be really appreciated.
    Hi I've just joined and am new to this type of bulletin board. Anyway, I have a 2003 Laguna Privilege LX, bought new and now done 18500kms. Apart from the crappiest auto I have ever had in 30 years, its a good car but I would selll it tomorrow if I had a reasonable chance of not losing so much money, resale value is zilch. I have moaned about the gearbox to dealer who checked & said that it had the software upgrade fitted, so I'm assuming that the problem that i have, which is the box constantly trying to think how I'm driving, is already known about. I had a Devil exhaust fitted which makes it look good and breathe a bit easier, but it didnt really improve things much. What I find is that that at low revs, the engine bogs down if you put your boot into it, it just doesnt respond quickly, however once it does get going its like a rocket. Wish I'd bought a BM for the same price

1000+ Posts

Christ, don't they test drive these things? How do they release these dodgy autos onto the market in the first place? It's like the old story of the customer doing the final testing... I'd be bloody LIVID if I were either of you, T1 and T2.

Good one Renault.
    Stuey

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information