Stiff clutch on fuego
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Stiff clutch on fuego

Im still trying to fix my stiff clutch. Ive eliminated the cable as the cause. The pivot arm squeaks when you operate the clutch. What is the easiest way to lubricate it and what should i use. Wasnt sure if you could just squirt some wd40 or similar down in the bellhousing. Cheers.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

fuego scott

I would be cautious about spraying lubricants around inside the bellhousing, as the spray may deflect into the clutch causing excessive slippage. (no go!!! )

I have only ever lubricated the pivot ball when I have had an engine out of the car for clutch removal and I use a good quality grease that will stay in that area with either molydenum disulphide base or other element that will lubricate even when the grease dries out. I have never tried to remove the release fork without disassembly of the clutch, though I believe that this can be done by a reasonably experienced renault mechanic.

The reason that I have never done this is that I did on one occasion stuff up on the assembly of my sons clutch as the release bearing slipped around out of the clutch fork (stuffed bearing) (stuffed fork) Had Paul of Auto Paris rescue the situation as I didn't feel like removing the unit from the car!!, So from my point of view it needs some careful consideration "before" removing the clutch fork pivot arm and careful consideration that it goes back and is seated properly where the fork bears on the clutch release bearing and that it clips correctly onto the pivot ball.

Haven't done a clutch since then, but when I do, I will be double checking everything before return of the engine and gearbox to a car. (I have done a number of Fuego clutches in the past and they went together like a charm, but that one failure tended to put me off tinkering in that area until I know exactly what I am doing) ( in fact I am looking forward to the day my cars clutch needs replacing, just to gain that knowledge!!)

So with that word of caution, perhaps one of our professional mechanics who frequent this forum may be good enough to guide you through this task!

We do appreciate the "professional trade secrets and tips" that make it possible for us DIY owners to keep our cars on the road.

Ken

Administrator

I suppose you could try one of those graphite powder "puff packs"

Graphite powdre is a dry lubricant that will not melt like greases.

Just shove a tube or straw on the end and puff a bit of graphite onto the pivot.....It might not do much, but its worth a try and it probably wont do any harm....

Tadpole

Default Fuego clutch

Thanks for the advice. We have some different dry lubricants at work that i might borrow and try on it. The are some high temp dry lubes that we use in similar conditions on our aircraft. Hopefully it will make the clutch a bit quieter and lighter! Are the fuego clutches known to be heavy?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by fuego scott
    Thanks for the advice. We have some different dry lubricants at work that i might borrow and try on it. The are some high temp dry lubes that we use in similar conditions on our aircraft. Hopefully it will make the clutch a bit quieter and lighter! Are the fuego clutches known to be heavy?
    They are not generally heavy by design. Usually quite nicely weighted....

1000+ Posts

The Valeo Clutch plates are quite light and easy in operation. The generic replacement as sold by Ken Bailey at Caravelle Imports is a bit harder to depress but works o.k. Ken has the Valeo clutch plates as well but there is a price difference between the genuine and generic.

I have struck a Fuego fitted with an Australian re-built "Heavy Duty" clutch and this is much stiffer in operation. It is possible that a former owner of your car may have fitted such a clutch as they were available for something like $120 a few years ago, therefore quite attractive against the $180 to $350 for the others.

Ken

Thread Information