fuego broken bonnet cable
  • Register
  • Help
    tas
    Tadpole

Default fuego broken bonnet cable

anyone out there who had the problem? How did you get the bonnet up ?
    Cheers
    tas

Advertisement

Is the cable actually broken? Or is the pop up spring jammed/broken or soft, or a locating peg sticky. There have been cases where this has happened with people bouncing on a customers bonnet etc, whereas all that was needed was a second person to lift the bonnet while someone held the release lever open inside the car.

Also if the cable is actually broken, you should be able to get a long screwdriver just through the grille to pop the latch lever that the cable connects to.

tas
    Tadpole

Thanks Simon,
    Cable definitly broken, tried it all with screwdriver etc, unable to locate locking mechanism as the bonnet seals over it. I've even been up between radiator and motor, but still cannot locate locking mechanism. It's an '82.
    Any other suggestions.
    Cheers

1000+ Posts

tas

Factory manual (MR 219) under Broken Release cable "to open a bonnet when the release cable has broken, proceed as follows; - make up a tool locally to the dimesions shown (this is a 27mm rod diameter 700mm in length with two small metal rods welded to one end and protruding from the end and on each side of the 27mm rod and forming a small prong) (say 7mm diam rods ?)

Pass the tool behind the radiator to reach the underside of the lock, line the peg end so that they are astride the plate and turn tool to release bonnet."

Now it would be handy to have a look at a plate that is out of the car in order to ensure that you make the end prongs just the right distance apart to open the bonnet catch from underneath the car.

This operation is better performed with the car on a hoist or over a pit using a strong light to illuminate the underside of the locking mechanism.

So far I have never had to make up such a tool, I have always been lucky enough to snag the end of the cable with a piece of wire!! I could photostat the factory tool diagram, but it is pretty basic as described, a long rod with two prongs or pegs on the end.

TIP - During storage of cars, when the battery is removed or disconnected on the early cars, the door locks will not open (on the later cars the key will probably open even without power) If the doors don't open then you cant open the bonnet (Hood to our US friends)

To avoid the hassle of tripping locks or more brutal methods I just connect red and black wires to the positive and negative cables and long enough to reach a spare 12volt battery to give enough power for the key locks to operate.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    tas
    TIP - During storage of cars, when the battery is removed or disconnected on the early cars, the door locks will not open (on the later cars the key will probably open even without power) If the doors don't open then you cant open the bonnet (Hood to our US friends)

To avoid the hassle of tripping locks or more brutal methods I just connect red and black wires to the positive and negative cables and long enough to reach a spare 12volt battery to give enough power for the key locks to operate.

Hope this helps.

Ken
    I've alway wondered how one is supposed to unlock a Fuego if you have a flat battery. Locked doors means locked boot and bonnet. Not everyone carries around a 700mm forked rod to use in an emergency and it isn't particularly easy to reach under the front of the car to get to the battery with a jumper lead.
    I presume copious amounts of harsh language, lots of time, and a large hammer will eventually see one get inside.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Not sure about others, but Mum's '84 Fuego can most definitely be opened with the key when the battery fails...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Not sure about others, but Mum's '84 Fuego can most definitely be opened with the key when the battery fails...
    Mine's a July 84 build, maybe it's okay too. I'll have to disconnect the battery and try it.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Icon11

i am assuming u have had the bonnet open before

As to getting the bonnet up u can do it with just a long screwdriver. To get it to open u have to go in from the right hand side of the main locking hook thingo. and basicaly do the same thing as the cable does, u have to slide the thing the cable connects to, to the left.

It takes a lot of fiddiling but it is do able

Thats assuming it is the same as the l8r models, which for something as simple as that ud think so

Hope its some help

Thread Information