Renault 19 remote locking problem
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Icon9 Renault 19 remote locking problem

Hi, the remote blip does not work at times (but works fine most of the time). I replaced the batteries in the key.
    Suspect there might be a leaky capacator but as i'm not up to speed with electrickery, perhaps someone could help out - please.
    JoBo

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Forgot - the remote locking problen is on an R19

1000+ Posts

JoBo,

I might move this to the Renault section then, as this isn't really related to performance modifications to the car

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    JoBo,

I might move this to the Renault section then, as this isn't really related to performance modifications to the car

Derek
    I don't know, not being able to open the car would deny the use of what little performance a 19 has anyway :-)

To be slightly more constructive, it has been mentioned in the past that the Plip device can suffer from dry solder joints internally, so that may be a good place to start.

farmerdave

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    To be slightly more constructive, it has been mentioned in the past that the Plip device can suffer from dry solder joints internally, so that may be a good place to start.
    If it is the one that uses a TEA 5500 encoder chip (almost all are) then there isn't actually much in the plip unit - a couple of capacitors, an LED, a resistor, transistor and the IR emitter. If it works most of the time, probably a dry joint or dirty connection rather than a dead component a capacitor may be a bit dodgy after 10-odd years, but resoldering would be the first step.

Farmerdave

1000+ Posts

Thanks for the hints. Isn't it technical and performance?
    JoBo

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    I don't know, not being able to open the car would deny the use of what little performance a 19 has anyway :-)

I know it's a slug 'relative' but the some of the others are not much better and cost a lot to mantain. However, it does the stupid victorian speed limits comfortably. In fact i had it up to 180 on a not too good road ind the car was quiet and stable. could have done it for hours. With freeing up of the intake system and exhoust system they actually become relatively spritely (no, i havent fiddled with the origional set up).
    But, i really appreciate the advice re solder joints. Haven't considered them.
    Jobo

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo
    Thanks for the hints. Isn't it technical and performance?
    JoBo
    JoBo,
    It might be technical, but our technical and performance section is subtitled "Tuning & modification discussions"

I didn't think people who modify 205GTi's to go faster would be particularly knowledgeable about R19 keyfobs

Hope that helps
    Derek

1000+ Posts

OK,
    JoBo

Icon9

I have a problem too with my Laguna, the bloody key does not work at all, the batteries have been replaced, the little light goes on the remote but nothing seems to be happening. Can someone help me…..
    Renault Sport Clio 172.

Quote Originally Posted by RXE 2.0
    I have a problem too with my Laguna, the bloody key does not work at all, the batteries have been replaced, the little light goes on the remote but nothing seems to be happening. Can someone help me…..
    Well it could be any number of things. The key fob may not actually be transmitting due to component failure (quick way to check - if you have a video camera - point the key fob at the camera and see if you can see the infrared pulse being emitted)

Could be the receiving unit has failed as well.

Unless you can think of a particular event that may have occured around the time it stopped functioning, I'd say get it to a dealer.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Icon11

Ye you see the thing with that is, nothing happened to the key unordinary, didn’t drop it or anything like that, I have been to two Renault Dealers Randwick and Sutherland and no one was able to fix it I went to Granville Collier motors and he said the same thing had happened to his Laguna and is waiting on feedback from a technical person from Renault, he said that the key had been synchronized after sometime the key gets locked as a safety mechanism, and the only way to fix it, is a long procedure that even he doesn’t know...
    Renault Sport Clio 172.

Quote Originally Posted by RXE 2.0
    he said that the key had been synchronized after sometime the key gets locked as a safety mechanism, and the only way to fix it, is a long procedure that even he doesn’t know...
    Thats a lazy, lazy answer from a dealer - they've all got access to the relevant service manuals for this stuff.

I'd say call Renault Australia direct and start asking questions. Be sure to mention the dealers that "could not" (would not?) fix the problem!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Icon1

Id call david collier in granville if your in sydney. 02 96823383. He is an expert and he will help you.
    I know the remote locking on my R19 died and I had to replace the interior unit and the key.....very easily fixed..call him....

Thread Information