The theoretical Alpine A110 replicas ...
  • Help
Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By Kram
  • 2 Post By alan moore
  • 3 Post By Kram
  • 1 Post By Manic GT
  • 1 Post By Kram
  • 7 Post By David Cavanagh

Thread: The theoretical Alpine A110 replicas ...

Fellow Frogger!

Default The theoretical Alpine A110 replicas ...

As I mentioned since my last sessions here, I had a few medical issues that laid me up for some time.

Through fear of being shunned here as a 'Heretic', I didn't mention during that time that my Dad went and bought a '73 VW Beetle with a 2300cc engine (yup, 2.3). He not only rallied R8s and Dauphines in the 60s, early 70s (as well as servicing for the Renault Australia works cars, Watson, Collier ect), but Beetles as well (he actually won the '66 Blue ribbon Trial in one). Please don't walk away in disgust, there's more!

Of course an Alpine is his dream car, that goes without saying with his background, and he has actually driven a Group 4 genuine Renault Works Alpine, terrorising the streets of Melbourne for a half hour about 35 something years ago when it was for sale. Dad couldn't raise the $5000 at the time .... yeah, $5000! You think I'm happy, no Alpine for me in the will?!!

So where am I going with this ....

I recently looked into buying a Dinalpine still being made in Mexico (I'll post the contact below) and watched a Canadian guy I know buy one with interest, recently arrived at his home. The panel and general fit are just awful, clearly the molds have shrunk over the years.

One reason I was keen is they have a bodyshell that mounts to a VW chassis, no surprise in Mexico where Bugs were still made until very recently, ahh, Alpine shell for Dad's Beetle! - that was before I saw the fit and finish.

So, the new theoretical plan .....

First some things you need to know about me. I live in China, have been here 15 years, and have my own engineering business, and a couple of EV car dealerships. I have built 4 of my own designed, scratchbuilt cars including doing all the fiberglass molds and parts myself in a local fiberglass company. I have also designed and currently building light aircraft for commercial kit sales, again, including the fiberglass parts.

I run and control all my own projects, and am completely hands on. I don't sub contract Chinese companies.

Last month I ordered a CNC Router machine that is similar too, and has the capability of this ...

Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UY4teeUNtw&t=616s

Of course I already have Alpine 3D CAD models, and can easily slice them up in the same manner. A picture below is me looking at the fit of a VW Chassis under an Alpine shell.

So my plan in theory at the moment, is to make Alpine shells with some very minor variations to successfully fit onto a Bug chassis, make a bespoke chassis for myself, and to make at least one EV version for my EV showroom.

As we speak, I have a Bolwell Nagari windscreen being sent to me to test a local windscreen company who say they will make small numbers for me. This is in conjunction with the Bolwell Car Clubs who are running low and tired of being raped for new ones to be made locally. Of course this will be handy for Alpine glass also.

It's only a plan right now, but I am very keen on it, all my ducks are lined up, and Dad is now 83 years old so I want it to happen fast so he can own an Alpine before his time is due.

If anyone else is interested in China cheap, but Aus quality, shells and chassis, please indicate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dano and Sunroof like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Well the silence is deafening, maybe I should go with the Renault R5 Maxi Turbo replica idea instead ... ?

Anyway, this is the Mexican Dinalpine guy, I forgot to add the link above .. https://www.facebook.com/ermilo.coello

and here's the Canadian Guy's car he just received and the wonderful panel fit ..

a4.jpg
    a1.jpg
    a2.jpg
    a3.jpg

The difficulty comes with getting these type of vehicles registered in Australia. This involves testing the torsional ridgidity as well as heights for lights, brake tests, emissions testing, and engineer sign off on design. Makes this difficult to achieve, not impossible, just difficult and convoluted.
    Was much easier in the 70s.
    Kram and JohnW like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    The difficulty comes with getting these type of vehicles registered in Australia. This involves testing the torsional ridgidity as well as heights for lights, brake tests, emissions testing, and engineer sign off on design. Makes this difficult to achieve, not impossible, just difficult and convoluted.
    Was much easier in the 70s.
    Hi Alan,

Yup, been through it before, have even ADR'ed a limited volume motorcycle (not ICV, ADR, and never again, I have never come across such stupid pedanticism in my life).

Been building chassis since i was a teenager, last one was over 8000lbs per inch, but best of all, I know a great ICV Engineer, some of you may know him, Treeve Andrews, upper NSW and Lower QLD area. Great to have a guy who is on your side, and builds his own ICVs as well. He's even been to Court recently fighting some stupid Laws that had no legal foundation to be put into being.

Yup, the 70's were little bit easier ...!

Fellow Frogger!

The Ariel Atom style car I built a few years ago, and the large Lotus 7 style I was halfway into when I got a bit busy with other things, then got sick. I've done a few other projects since being here.

Besides doing the chassis, steering and suspensions ect myself, I did all the fiberglass myself, made my own bucks, molds and parts. I love fiberglassing, never get itchy either.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sunroof, JoBo and nt reno like this.

I don't think most would be opposed to owning a replica but the problem becomes the criteria of making it street legal ??!! The Manic back in the day got fast approval by using existent car frame and suspension from the R8 & 10 platforms much like the Volkswagen kit cars of the day . The capability to have it registered as a actual recognized car is huge for getting them on the road and having them exported or even insured . So I wonder if your replica would as you suggest be easier to be registered as a old school car ie 1970 Renault or Volkswagen instead of a Alpine kit car ? We here in Canada have been placing old bodies on newer frames and putting them on the road with the registration of the older body or we could choose the newer frame registration to register the older body as a newer vehicle ?

Just thinking out loud !
    Manic GT
    Kram likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Manic GT View Post
    We here in Canada have been placing old bodies on newer frames and putting them on the road with the registration of the older body or we could choose the newer frame registration to register the older body as a newer vehicle ?
    You can do that in England as well, but not Nanny State Australia. Of course in a number of States of America, a replica just needs to look like it and you can licence it as that year model, that's how most Locost 7s are licence'd, eg: as 1960s Lotus 7s.

It's called an ICV in Oz, Individually Constructed Vehicle. As mentioned above you need all the normal road worthy basics, there's a chassis torsion test that must pass 4000lbs per inch of twist, side intrusion protection, collapsable steering column, many small things such as those.

1 to 25 ICV cars manufactured per annum is relatively easy, and the first car sets the standard for the others that follow, 25 to 50 cars (same car) is a higher level of pass, and 50 cars plus is when they get serious.

I never had intention of pretending it to be a real Alpine, and of course it will be illegal to use the name, I'll just call it "Le'Peen" or something Frenchy like that.

PS:

This is the Engineer I use, he is taking on the NSW Government after they illegal changed Laws without due process, and "Counter Ego Trippers" (we've all come across them) who dictate decisions about ICVs on the spot, also illegally.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ICVVINS

He is still fighting this, and going reasonably well too.

Thanks for your note, appreciated.
    Last edited by Kram; Yesterday at 07:19 AM.
    Sunroof likes this.

The Group 4 genuine Renault Works Alpine you speak of be Colin Starks. He bought it back then and still owns it, still competes in local hillclimbs, still wins his class. Not bad for a 50yo 4cyl French car, still winning the 2.0 class today. Colin use to own Alpine Affaire but retired last year, he still has a set of A110 moulds.
    You dad might be interested to know that I own the only surviving works R8 Gordini. It was Mal McPhersons 1971 Victorian championship car and is currently being restored. I was talking to Bob Watson yesterday about some of the details but it's been so long he's struggling to remember. Bob is also 83 and still rallies a 16TS, I'm trying to get the Gordini finished while he is still fit and able to drive it.
    JohnW, Shoji, Paul T and 4 others like this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    The Group 4 genuine Renault Works Alpine you speak of be Colin Starks. He bought it back then and still owns it, still competes in local hillclimbs, still wins his class. Not bad for a 50yo 4cyl French car, still winning the 2.0 class today. Colin use to own Alpine Affaire but retired last year, he still has a set of A110 moulds.
    You dad might be interested to know that I own the only surviving works R8 Gordini. It was Mal McPhersons 1971 Victorian championship car and is currently being restored. I was talking to Bob Watson yesterday about some of the details but it's been so long he's struggling to remember. Bob is also 83 and still rallies a 16TS, I'm trying to get the Gordini finished while he is still fit and able to drive it.

Thanks for your note David.

I remember all the Gordinis' well, did many controls, passage controls ect in those days with Mum and Dad. Likely I drooled on your R8G as a 10 year old, sorry about that.

Dad met up up with Watson at Mike Osbourne's memorial 2 weeks ago. Mike was Dad's Navigator for the win in the 66 Blue Ribbon Trial in the Volks I mentioned above.

Dad was also heavily involved in the building, prep and servicing of (Doctor) David Chettle's R8G and 16TS.

The Alpine he drove belonged to David Spicer at that moment, who also had a Gulf Wyer GT40. but he wouldn't let Dad drive the GT40 around the streets, how miserable can you be .....

Thread Information