• 1 Post By angru
  • 4 Post By JohnW
  • 2 Post By geckoeng
  • 1 Post By tresbon2
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh

Thread: My 16ts is dead - replacement required

Fellow Frogger!

Icon8 My 16ts is dead - replacement required

Sadly my immaculate TS was rear - ended on Thursday and is a writeoff.

Advertisement

So I am looking for a replacement. My 1st choice would be for an R20 or Fuego. My criteria are -
    - must be French !
    - must be no later than 1989
    - must have good A/C and power steering
    - must be in excellent condition
    and it will preferably in or near Adelaide (I don't want much !)

PS - I will not now need the mountain of parts I have, including a lot of NOS bits. So I will be advertising these soon.
    I expect the wreck will end up at U-Pull-It. The damage is only to the RHR quarter.
    Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

1000+ Posts

I have some rocking horse shit here if you want that as well.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

didn't dogboy have a TS up for sale recently?

What a shame.
    but here you go and good luck with your search.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/223876897630
    ďListen very carefully, I shall say this only once.Ē Cheers. John

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by tresbon2 View Post
    Sadly my immaculate TS was rear - ended on Thursday and is a writeoff.

So I am looking for a replacement. My 1st choice would be for an R20 or Fuego. My criteria are -
    - must be French !
    - must be no later than 1989
    - must have good A/C and power steering

- must be in excellent condition
    and it will preferably in or near Adelaide (I don't want much !)

PS - I will not now need the mountain of parts I have, including a lot of NOS bits. So I will be advertising these soon.
    I expect the wreck will end up at U-Pull-It. The damage is only to the RHR quarter.
    Don
    I have an immaculate 1984 Fuego Turbo for sale in Canberra. Rouge Red. Has power steering but no A/C. PM me with your email address if interested and I'll send more details and photos.

Cheers

Barry
    JohnW likes this.

Write off an immaculate car for a fender bender? Can you buy the wreck back from insurance and fix it? I have done that twice with the same car.

Alternatively, you can insist the insurance do not write it off and fix it. I had a similar event here and the party at fault wanted to write off my car after they rear ended me. I told them they need to fix it or I will and bill them and they did.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Very sorry to hear this Don.

But as Schlitzaugen says above, perhaps you could rescue the situation. Often the decision to write off is just an easy out for the insurance companies involved and there are ways around full loss of the vehicle if it is in any way salvageable.?
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Absolutely. The insurance company would much more readily give you some money than deal with repairers, warranties, etc. The fact they claim your car is a write off only means they want to give you some money and be done with it.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Write off an immaculate car for a fender bender? Can you buy the wreck back from insurance and fix it? I have done that twice with the same car.

Alternatively, you can insist the insurance do not write it off and fix it. I had a similar event here and the party at fault wanted to write off my car after they rear ended me. I told them they need to fix it or I will and bill them and they did.
    I am still awaiting the quote from the repairer I chose, but they have told me that it will be way in excess of the insured figure (which is more than I could have hoped to get as a sale) Even my cut price crash repairer, who is usually about half the price of the big boys took one look and said it is write-off.
    The insurer is Shannons and they took some time to agree that I will get the wreck at nil cost.

But if someone wants to take it to fix I will be happy to donate it. Regardless I will have to say goodbye to this brilliant voiture.
    So sad, Don
    Last edited by tresbon2; 4th February 2020 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Deleted the cost for anyone who would like to take it and rebuild it

Fellow Frogger!

Oh no! Sad to lose a decent 16ts . Has the impact damaged the suspension? Pillars, sills? Hopefully things are better than they look at the moment.

Fellow Frogger!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Don, as it was truly a very nice example.

There is currently a Fuego on FB marketplace at Munno Para, asking $1200 ono. But might need a little bit of work.

I also spied a Citroen GS on Gumtree that looks fairly tidy, for $3500.

If you offered me something ludicrous I could even contemplate parting with my 30TX.

All the best.

Philip

Sadly my immaculate TS was rear - ended on Thursday and is a writeoff. Don
    Woe. Such bad luck. I think being rear-ended is one of the greatest risks for our classic cars.

The Dutch are making power steering kits for the R16. I just suspect a 16 is a more practical "keeper" than a 20, them being so rare and lacking classic support as far as I know. You can add AC with care, but of course it is driven off the end of the camshaft - the factory kits had big rubber buffers to deal with the AC kicking in. 20 and Fuego are much better in that area.

I reckon a good Fuego is also a more practical approach than a 20. It's a bit sad that the 20 is the best of the lot of them but so rare.

Best of luck with it.

Woe.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I am still awaiting the quote from the repairer I chose, but they have told me that it will be way in excess of the insured figure (which is more than I could have hoped to get as a sale) Even my cut price crash repairer, who is usually about half the price of the big boys took one look and said it is write-off.
    The insurer is Shannons and they took some time to agree that I will get the wreck at nil cost.
    So unless I can find someone who will take it to fix and can beat U-Pull-It's offer ($175) I will have to say goodbye to this brilliant voiture.
    So sad, Don

I don't understand. If someone rear ended you, surely their insurance pays. The party that hit me was with Allianz, I didn't have any insurance.

COL

So unless I can find someone who will take it to fix and can beat U-Pull-It's offer ($175) I will have to say goodbye to this brilliant voiture.
    So sad, Don
    If it comes to having to get rid of the car wreck it yourself you will get more than $175 for it.

A good motor would be worth $400
    The transaxle would be worth $200
    plus all the other bits.

Or you could find another R16 and use it as a parts car.

Just my worth.
    Kim Luck and bowie like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

By the way.. you’re looking for air con in your replacement car, did your r16 have air con?
    If it did, (and only if it turns out at the end of the day that the vehicle isn’t repairable for you) I’ll gladly buy the r16 from you for above what the wreckers are offering.
    Hope that doesn’t come across like I’m trying to benefit from your misfortune, still hope it works out for your car to be repaired if at all possible.
    Dano likes this.

Over the past 47 years, our R8 has twice been t-boned. Both times the repair costs were far more than the value of the car. Both times we had it fixed properly. Worth every cent and we still have it and use it all the time.

I think the write-off discussion is the wrong paradigm.

We were fortunate and could afford to spend the money ($2500 the first time in 1984 and $12,000 in 2015, the latter including a long-overdue repaint) but it was cheaper and far more satisfactory than finding an alternative or equivalent.

So, the question is, what are you able/prepared to pay to fix it relative to someone else's secondhand car. Mind you, Bazzamac's Fuego is an interesting alternative that's a rare decent option....

My two bobs' worth. Good luck with it.
    Last edited by JohnW; 3rd February 2020 at 10:52 PM.
    geckoeng, angru, COL and 1 others like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    didn't dogboy have a TS up for sale recently?
    I put all my cars up for sale at one point but now the red safari is gone the need to sell the 16TS has abated...phew...in fact id like an engine that doesnt leak oil...and other spare parts...if indeed the poor thing is wrecked
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Over the past 47 years, our R8 has twice been t-boned. Both times the repair costs were far more than the value of the car. Both times we had it fixed properly. Worth every cent and we still have it and use it all the time.

I think the write-off discussion is the wrong paradigm.

We were fortunate and could afford to spend the money ($2500 the first time in 1984 and $12,000 in 2015) but it was cheaper and far more satisfactory than finding an alternative or equivalent.

So, the question is, what are you able/prepared to pay to fix it relative to someone else's secondhand car. Mind you, Bazzamac's Fuego is an interesting alternative that's a rare decent option....

My two bobs' worth. Good luck with it.
    It is a classic car, that can not be replaced, either your insurer should have it fixed or the person who ran into you. At the end of the day you want a R16TS to drive. If it was a calssic Ferrari or a Model T Ford it would be fixed by the "Crasher's" Insurance. ???

Ray
    bowie and COL like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by angru View Post
    By the way.. you’re looking for air con in your replacement car, did your r16 have air con?
    If it did, (and only if it turns out at the end of the day that the vehicle isn’t repairable for you) I’ll gladly buy the r16 from you for above what the wreckers are offering.
    Hope that doesn’t come across like I’m trying to benefit from your misfortune, still hope it works out for your car to be repaired if at all possible.
    My car did not have A/C and my understanding is that it would be impractical and expensive to have fitted. Ditto for power steering. So I was recently looking to sell it and upgrade to something with these 'mod cons'.
    As it happens I was negotiating with a fellow car club member to sell it to him. He seems to have lost interest now!
    I would be happy to gift the wreck to someone who would rebuild it. I only know of one other in the Adelaide area which is in good condition and that is rarely used.
    angru likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    It is a classic car, that can not be replaced, either your insurer should have it fixed or the person who ran into you. At the end of the day you want a R16TS to drive. If it was a calssic Ferrari or a Model T Ford it would be fixed by the "Crasher's" Insurance. ???

Ray
    Shannons will claim their costs from the other party's insurance company as usual. As mentioned elsewhere I no longer want a 16TS to drive. I have had 10 or more years of enjoyment from this car. They are an unknown gem to most people, except for those oldies, like me, who often tell me 'mine was the best car I've ever had'. But 'the old order changeth, yielding place to new' or in this case, to newer.
    Je ne regrette rien.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by angru View Post
    Oh no! Sad to lose a decent 16ts . Has the impact damaged the suspension? Pillars, sills? Hopefully things are better than they look at the moment.
    The major expensive bit of a rebuild would be the bodyshell section from the rear door aft. Both the exterior and interior bits are quite crumpled. The base structure around the petrol tank appears to be undamaged. the rear door opens with a tug. The RH section of the bumper is bent, the corner of the hatch has minor damage but opens and locks normally and the taillight is crushed. I could supply a good hatch, a bumper section and a taillight lens.
    Photos are available
    Last edited by tresbon2; 4th February 2020 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Added note re photos

Be wary of rear-quarter damage as it can twist the chassis and even with all the cosmetic bits sorted the car often doesn't ride correctly after repair.
    But having said that, the R16 should be from an era where a moderate bump in the derriere hopefully shouldn't upset the chassis geometry too much. The door and hatch opening are a good sign but you'd never know unless you take measurements.
    I believe body panels are still available from the R16 shop and possibly others so a repair is not out of the question.
    However you still won't have AC (unless you can find one of the rare factory AC set-ups), or power steering.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Awful to hear another R16 has bit the dust, maybe you need to post pics here, I don't believe this word "write off" I'm sure our panel beater here in Melton Vic could fix it as good as new, he saved a 16 a few years ago that was hit up the back when parked. Needed a 1/4 panel. rear panel and boot floor and now you couldn't pick it had even been hit.

But if you are thinking about a Fuego I totally recommend Bazzamac Fuego turbo. It really is the ultimate Fuego.

https://www.justcars.com.au/cars-for...ack/JCW5065661
    Dano likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

If youíre looking for a Fuego but really need air con, I doubt it would be too hard to fit to that turbo one, as all he 2 liter fuegos in aus have most of the parts youíd need. Cold source evap, condnsor, dash parts, pipes... would just need to find suitable compressor to fit the turbo motor and pulley/ mounts to run it. That would have to be a good Fuego

Thread Information