R17 High Volume Oil Pump
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By angru

Thread: R17 High Volume Oil Pump

Fellow Frogger!

Default R17 High Volume Oil Pump

Hi brains trust,
    The never ending build continues and I'm now thinking about the larger volume oil pump from the R18, but I've never laid eyes on one to know anything about it.
    I know they are increased depth driver in rotary pump, but am i right in assuming that this would require the R18 pump housing as well to increase the pump output in a standard R17 engine?
    Cheers
    Adam

Advertisement

Bigger pump, bigger HP required

Nope. The extra thickness is taken up by a deeper recess in the block so you need to machine your block or you need to get a block.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The 6mm deeper pump is taken up by a recess in the pump housing that bolts to the block. You could perhaps deepen the recess in the block to use the standard inlet, but I donít know how much metal there is available in the block casting.

The R18 GTS and R17G both had the bigger pumps, but different inlets, that both work having the same sump, but not with the R16 sump. The R18 inlet is fully cast aluminium, where the R17G has an aluminium housing with a steel inlet pipe and strainer.

Fellow Frogger!

Well that answers that then, just don't create oil restrictions or temp increases

What engine are you building?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Mecaparts sell the 17g/12g pump. You buy it as the 2 parts (shaft and inner and the outer). If using a 16 or 17 block you’ll need to use the housing from a 17G or you can also get a laser cut plate that sandwiches between the block and the housing to make it fit and work with standard 17tl housing. I think Mecaparts sell them. I know alpine affaire had them in stock a while back.
    Shoji likes this.

Thread Information