Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Stuey
  • 2 Post By Fordman
  • 1 Post By bowie
  • 1 Post By Breitie

Thread: From the sublime to the rediculous

Fellow Frogger!

Default From the sublime to the rediculous

During the past two weeks I have bored everybody to death with questions about doing a coolant change on my Koloes, which I have finally accomplished. (clapping and cheering all around!)

I won't tell you how I did it and what I used because you will most likely suffer apoplexy.

Now, the radiator has a tiny white plastic plug and washer at the bottom for the draining thereof. The workshop manual says: "Remove plug" with an arrow pointing to the plug. Just to be safe I thought I might get a spare plug in case I damage it or lose it as it is tiny and made of soft plastic. As one would with an oil drain plug and washer that are available from Supercheap.

Now the kicker: Renault does not sell this plug separately! To get a spare plug I will have to buy a whole radiator!

Advertisement

The forces of making life difficult have finally conquered my ever indomitable spirit. I GIVE UP!

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    During the past two weeks I have bored everybody to death with questions about doing a coolant change on my Koloes, which I have finally accomplished. (clapping and cheering all around!)

I won't tell you how I did it and what I used because you will most likely suffer apoplexy.

Now, the radiator has a tiny white plastic plug and washer at the bottom for the draining thereof. The workshop manual says: "Remove plug" with an arrow pointing to the plug. Just to be safe I thought I might get a spare plug in case I damage it or lose it as it is tiny and made of soft plastic. As one would with an oil drain plug and washer that are available from Supercheap.

Now the kicker: Renault does not sell this plug separately! To get a spare plug I will have to buy a whole radiator!

The forces of making life difficult have finally conquered my ever indomitable spirit. I GIVE UP!
    That goes with lots of things that Renault sell.

I wanted the little silicone pads that optically connect the auto wiper sensor to the windscreen, to get the silicone pads i have to buy the sensor. I didn't ask what the cost of the sensor was.

The parts salesman then offered me an alternative which i took, I think the part was from a Subaru for about $40.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Errrr; I wasn't serious about Blue Gatorade...
    JohnW likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

At least you had a drain plug fitted. I would have just used it.

As far as I know, our Scenic doesn't have a drain in the radiator - one has to remove the lower rad hose, which is also fraught with danger, being a plastic radiator outlet, and a difficult to remove hoseclip.

Most vehicles are similar these days I believe. I consider it a plus if there is a drain plug.

Keep trying, don't give up, it will mean they have won!

Cheers.
    Berridale and JohnW like this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

I suppose that the workshop manual was in fact a Renault one? I have found that the word "carefully" can be added to almost any operation described in anyone's workshop manual............................
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 8th January 2020 at 09:55 PM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Oh well, suppose you better make it your race car now
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

336_pdfsam_Koleos - Engine and Peripherals.pdf

According to the manual the drain plug is just a screw-in nylon plug.
    You could probably find a brass bolt with the same thread and length and use that.
    Doesn't look anything high-tec.

I would expect that Renault buy their radiators from a third-party so it's probably a common size and other Korean cars may be suitable.
    Try looking for a Samsung QM5 rather than Koleos.

Bleeding looks a bit primitive, you have to disconnect the top heater fitting then reconnect when coolant comes out. No nice brass bleed screws like with the 'real' Renaults of yesteryear.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Errrr; I wasn't serious about Blue Gatorade...
    Love your sense of humour Mr Stuey.
    Actually, here is an interesting fact: Gatorade is exactly the same price as Nulon Long Life Green coolant at $2.50 per litre when mixing 6lit concentrate with 12litres of water - a ratio of 1:2 as specified. (6lit concentrate makes 18lit coolant.)
    That means that Nulon coolant is incredibly cheap or that Gatorade, which is just sugar and water, is inordinately expensive. I think the latter.
    Hmmmm!
    Last edited by Breitie; 9th January 2020 at 09:32 PM.
    Sunroof likes this.

Gatorade is a ridiculous price, as is bottled water at up to 1000 times the price of what is delivered to the house tap in usually excellent condition. Cons, the pair of them. I could go on and get excited but I'll resist.

Good you changed the coolant. If you use a 5-7 year one, it might not be done again before the car is scrapped.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information