Coolant
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Coolant

Default Coolant

Hi from me,
    The question of what coolant to use in my R1135! Google only confuses me.
    Any suggestions please.

Advertisement

Any one had problems of deliveries, out of Sydney using Couriers Please?
    4 days waiting for spark plugs from Ingleburn. The customer service contact phone number throws you to Singapore. What sort of business idiot runs an australian courier business from there. Ethnics, bad english, saying that it will be delivered "tomorrow". Depots not contactable, no phone numbers.
    Regards,
    Ross

1000+ Posts

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Who would have thought: the old vexing subject of coolants keeps appearing. And still people are confused. I now know why!

1000+ Posts

I think people spend too much time thinking about it. I've never heard of an issue with any types of coolant that's been kept at the correct concentration and changed as per service requirements, even when people just change it to generic but good quality stuff (flushed appropriately).

In my 206 I was quite happy to use the Nulon red long life which Nulon say is compatible with Glysantin G33, the Peugeot recommended coolant. I believe G33 is merely an OEM version of another Glysantin product (G38?) which is readily available (in Europe) but the manufacturers obviously want to have an OEM only version and when you buy as much as Peugeot, BASF will oblige. I looked into this a while back and found the chemical makeup of the different versions. No other manufacturer uses G33 and it's not available outside a PSA dealer.

I get the arguments for buying OEM (the price isn't that bad) but can't be arsed doing an 80km round trip to buy the stuff. I'd possibly buy it if a dealership was around the corner.

Of course, the OEM coolant should be used during warranty periods.

Here's a challenge - can anyone find an internet story of woe about someone using a different type of coolant to that recommended, and there being a problem? Obviously with caveats about quality and correct usage. I'm not trying to be clever here - I'm really interested!
    Last edited by Stuey; 5th January 2020 at 12:31 PM.
    JohnW and Sunroof like this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Same here Stuey - that would be interesting. I didn't have much 4CV corrosion in Adelaide years ago (except under hoses on alloy spigots) using straight rainwater - it's so close to distilled that its electrical conductivity is very low and corrosion is all about small electrically-facilitated cells between unlike metals.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

You may remember I posted a picture of the original water pump from my Mi16 that I replaced in a routine timing belt job when the car was about 13 years old (it had just started weeping). The original one had a stainless steel shaft and a brass impeller. These were both shiny, almost like new. I assumed it was the original because it had a date stamp of 1990 when the car was built.

The previous owner had changed to a special coolant (Nalco Alfloc) as soon as the warranty was up. This was a quality glycol based coolant, but other than that I believe it to be similar to quality coolants you now get from the usual places.

My view is that any modern coolant is fine for any 'normal' car and the differences are so minor in practice so as not to be a concern. I just use the quality coolant that the label says is compatible with my car, but still think which one doesn't matter if flushed and filled properly.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Here's a challenge - can anyone find an internet story of woe about someone using a different type of coolant to that recommended, and there being a problem? Obviously with caveats about quality and correct usage. I'm not trying to be clever here - I'm really interested!
    From personal knowledge. I think you will find there was a big enough problem to cause a recall on some early V6 Commodes to change the coolant. I believe it was corroding the core plugs. Or did they replace the core plugs? Anyway, I have always been more careful since then and would not ignore the basic differences in coolants, though I don't mind swapping brand names.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

That sounds more like a dodgy batch of coolant or a weak mix, wouldn't you think?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Once on A/F some said that the problem with the R8 956CC blocks was caused by dodgy coolant put in at the factory. It went all gluggy apparently allowing the blocks to buckle. Buckling was a problem that caused most blocks to be replaced but the coolant problem may be true or not.

1000+ Posts

Yeah, I remember that I think. Someone mentioned some of the older glycol coolants sort of gelled up. I also remember someone saying some glycols also cause corrosion once they 'go off', hence the need to change it at the correct intervals.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    That sounds more like a dodgy batch of coolant or a weak mix, wouldn't you think?
    No, it was a chemical reaction, I believe, corroding the core plugs, but can't remember if it was dodgy core plug alloy or a bad coolant.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

I reckon the 956 blocks were just dodgy, that's all. Ours warped and had always had perfect coolant management. Re the V6 Commodes, if the coolant and associated anti-corrosion additives were good, why would anything in there corrode?

I recall reading somewhere that glycol/water mixes are inherently aggressive and need anti-corrosion additives.

Nulon make a simple anti-corrosion additive that you mix with distilled water (or, for me, water collected from air conditioner condensation). I don't use it only because I like the high boiling point that glycol provides.

I reckon we'll discussing this one beyond the grave!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    No, it was a chemical reaction, I believe, corroding the core plugs, but can't remember if it was dodgy core plug alloy or a bad coolant.

Cheers.
    Or caused by galvanic corrosion where the steel core plugs were the sacrificial electrode.
    Past Frogs:
    Alpine White 1967 R10 (round eye)
    Alpine White 1972 R16TS
    Blue 1978 Virage Wagon

Current:
    Red 2009 Clio RS 200 CUP

Nulon green concentrate as Stuey said. I thought we’d already answered this one for you?
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by neural revolt View Post
    Or caused by galvanic corrosion where the steel core plugs were the sacrificial electrode.
    Well yes, but the point of the anti-corrosion additives is precisely to avoid that - think of the alloy R10 head bolted with steel bolts onto a cast iron block.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Fellow Frogger!

Taaraa! The never ending saga of 'The Coolant' continues. After chasing this subject for several days, with the kind assistance of some of you learned elders, I have the following to report: (This is purely meant for your amusement)

Upon my enquiry to Renault Australia as to why the coolant in my Koleos is blue and not the prescribed yellow, I got this reply: "Don't know. Ask your nearest dealer."
    Asked the dealer, both in Spares and Technical/Service, was told: "Don't know, but better to refill with the same stuff."
    I then asked: "Ok, but what exactly is this blue stuff and where do I get it?"
    "Don't know, better to buy it from wherever you got it the first time". "But this is the original fill. What is it?".

Then, Spares Department: "Do you sell coolant for the Renault Koleos?" "Yes we do". "What colour is that?" "Wait, I will open a container and have a look". (very helpful indeed) Comes back: "It is yellow". "So, where do I get the blue stuff then?" "Don't know. Have you tried Supercheap? They have blue, green red and yellow coolant." "But they say not to mix different colours." "Oh yes, that seems to be correct. Better be careful with that".
    And so it goes on.......
    Frankly I am now more than ever convinced that it is all bullshit, smoke and mirrors in the name of 'product differentiation' so that every make sells lots of their own 'prescribed' brand.
    NULON are the only sensible players in this game by admitting that a 'universal' coolant is the way to go and offer one coolant that is suitable for every possible make of car. Way to go! So, gentlemen, choose your colour.
    Last edited by Breitie; 6th January 2020 at 12:44 PM.
    Ceenine likes this.

1000+ Posts

Or, put yellow into the blue and it will be green!

Seriously though, they do differ for sure, but I think the best policy is just to not mix the different types to avoid an unwanted chemical reaction. I think any modern coolant should protect the metallurgy in any engine.
    Last edited by Stuey; 6th January 2020 at 01:26 PM.
    JohnW and Sunroof like this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Taaraa! The never ending saga of 'The Coolant' continues. After chasing this subject for several days, with the kind assistance of some of you learned elders, I have the following to report: (This is purely meant for your amusement)
    Bloody Hell! I'm not sure whether to laugh (at the post) or cry (about the Renault folk). That is woeful.

I'd flush it and stick with Nulon I reckon. That's green btw!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Fellow Frogger!

Green gets the popular vote from several knowledgeable posters here, and from Nulon, and from Supercheap. So, green it is.

Regarding the competency, or lack thereof, by the so called "Renault dealers": we cannot blame the poor folk who work at these multi make garages because they have a host of car brands to look after and cannot be expected to know it all.

Green gets the popular vote from several knowledgeable posters here, and from Nulon, and from Supercheap. So, green it is.

Regarding the competency, or lack thereof, by the so called "Renault dealers": we cannot blame the poor folk who work at these multi make garages because they have a host of car brands to look after and cannot be expected to know it all.
    Sigh....
    JohnW likes this.

Actually that's their job as a parts interpreter and many other retail/wholesale positions. Shit's me to tears when I get a 'smart arse' customer who is after something and uses the most obscure term for it or a foreign description....just to show how clever they are!
    Brendan.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    Actually that's their job as a parts interpreter and many other retail/wholesale positions. Shit's me to tears when I get a 'smart arse' customer who is after something and uses the most obscure term for it or a foreign description....just to show how clever they are!
    Brendan.
    But wait! There is more. The coolant story never seems to end. Actually, you won't hear from me again because after this message I am going to go behind the shed and shoot myself. Yes, I am that confused and frustrated.

Took a bottle of my old 'blue' coolant to Supercheap this morning and requested similar blue coolant to replace it with.

Said salesperson: "That is actually green coolant that goes blue after a while. We get this a lot from customers. What you need is green."

That's it! I'm out of here!

Co-incidentally bluey504, I used to manage a large spares department for a large multy-dealership when I was still young and knew everything. I know what you are saying about customers not knowing what they want, but I hardly think that asking for blue coolant will over-tax the brains of even the dumbest parts interpreter.

In that role I learned very soon that: "You don't, and cannot be expected to know everything, but it is essential that you know where to look it up."
    bluey504 likes this.

1000+ Posts
    COL likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Love it, Stuey! I think you are on to something there. Been thinking along the same lines. And Gatorade is possibly more effective as a coolant than some.
    I wonder if they use the same colouring agent for Gatorade and coolants. I actually tasted some green coolant this morning and it tastes very nice and sweet not unlike Gatorade.

Love it, Stuey! I think you are on to something there. Been thinking along the same lines. And Gatorade is possibly more effective as a coolant than some.
    I wonder if they use the same colouring agent for Gatorade and coolants. I actually tasted some green coolant this morning and it tastes very nice and sweet not unlike Gatorade.
    Brilliant Stuey. Breitie, don't shoot yourself. Just flush it fully and use Nulon - hard to see how you could go wrong.

Ethylene glycol indeed tastes sweet - don't indulge though as it is nasty.
    COL likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information