renault scenic any good??...friend is thinking of getting one - Page 2
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: renault scenic any good??...friend is thinking of getting one

That's interesting KB. We had an AC compressor failure too, under warranty (dealer purchase). The trouble with any low value (student) car is that one failure like that can easily happen and may cost something approaching the car's value to fix, particularly if it is an unusual vehicle.

Agreed!

Advertisement
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Itís the sleeping in bit thatís the kicker here. Lots of good safe options in the hatchback/sedan game, but wagons are rare. And SUVs are all tall and short which is useless for this (theyíre pretty useless anyway...).

Youíll need 10K for a really good i30 wagon with low kms unless youíre really lucky or get one from auctions that needs work you can do yourself.

Failing that youíll start compromising on safety spec or condition or reliability or all of the above. If it was a matter of a couple of K to get into a decent one Iíd suggest a bit of debt wouldnít be terrible...

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    JohnW likes this.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That's interesting KB. We had an AC compressor failure too, under warranty (dealer purchase). The trouble with any low value (student) car is that one failure like that can easily happen and may cost something approaching the car's value to fix, particularly if it is an unusual vehicle.

Agreed!
    I think some people look at when a major expense happens with a car that it is all doom and gloom and that they are pumping money into something of not much value. Yes the car is not worth much in $$$$ but when you compare the car you have to what is available and start doing the sums, sometimes spending 1K on a car that cost 1.5K isn't a bad thing if you consider the condition of the rest of the car and if this good and you intend to keep the car for another 2 to 3 years, surely it is money well spent.
    simca1100 likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    I think some people look at when a major expense happens with a car that it is all doom and gloom and that they are pumping money into something of not much value. Yes the car is not worth much in $$$$ but when you compare the car you have to what is available and start doing the sums, sometimes spending 1K on a car that cost 1.5K isn't a bad thing if you consider the condition of the rest of the car and if this good and you intend to keep the car for another 2 to 3 years, surely it is money well spent.
    That's always been my argument and my actions speak louder than the words. 2-3 years isn't long mind you, by my standards! For this student though, something really common is the way to go. Hyundais break down too - they have AC compressors and alternators and usually auto transmissions!
    COL likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

That's always been my argument and my actions speak louder than the words. 2-3 years isn't long mind you, by my standards! For this student though, something really common is the way to go. Hyundais break down too - they have AC compressors and alternators and usually auto transmissions!
    Yep, the early FD i30 autos had dramas with solenoids/vlave bodies. Lots of warranty issues. Mums one is sporting a rebuilt box when I bought - any that had trouble will be sorted by now and there were revised parts that fixed them.

we had a series 1 scenic (2.0, manual). Probably the second best car we've had, reliable, practical, comfortable, great to drive.
    It stayed in the family for over 18 years!
    Never had any real trouble, basic services, belts, waterpump, brakes, that kind of thing.
    Buy the time it was about 18 yo, the trim was starting to look worn and little corners were lifting or drooping. Still looked ok, but i'm pretty fussy about the inside.

Was our first renault after years of peugeots. Later got a Laguna, which also a fantastic car.

in her situation, it would be hard to argue with the Japanese reliability and Korean build quality of a good Kaleos as suggested by JoProffi.

>2010 model under $5k at auction. Looks like great value to me.
    >2013 models run around $7.5k
    Berridale likes this.

18 years of Scenic reliability yet "hard to argue with the Japanese reliability..." of a good Koleos??

I reckon the issue is very simple, the student needs something really common that doesn't intimidate common or garden car repair places just because they haven't seen one before or have swallowed the propaganda.

I'm sure we're all looking forward to the results of all this. I'll stop here!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

18 years of Scenic reliability yet "hard to argue with the Japanese reliability..." of a good Koleos?? the student needs something really common that doesn't intimidate common or garden car repair places. I'm sure we're all looking forward to the results of all this. I'll stop here!
    Couldn't agree more, french cars, great, reliable, easy to fix (mostly), great to drive and own. Depreciation makes them great second hand buys.

For a student, who needs reliable transport and repairs (that all second hand cars need), just feel that japanese/korean is a better bet.

Or really really good second hand french something with an absolutely known history that isn't be sold because its become an "uneconomical problem car" (kind of applies to all secondhand cars).
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Yep, the early FD i30 autos had dramas with solenoids/vlave bodies. Lots of warranty issues. Mums one is sporting a rebuilt box when I bought - any that had trouble will be sorted by now and there were revised parts that fixed them.
    At the risk of hijacking this thread, my wife has a 2010 i30 auto, and since she got it 3 years ago it has flared between low gear changes.
    It has not got significantly worse, and the mechanic changed the vegimite oil a few times.
    Is the solenoid/valve body issue this, and how much might I expect to pay someone to fix should it get bad..Also, is it foolish to let it go or should I just ignore it until it gets worse??

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    At the risk of hijacking this thread, my wife has a 2010 i30 auto, and since she got it 3 years ago it has flared between low gear changes.
    It has not got significantly worse, and the mechanic changed the vegimite oil a few times.
    Is the solenoid/valve body issue this, and how much might I expect to pay someone to fix should it get bad..Also, is it foolish to let it go or should I just ignore it until it gets worse??

Jo
    You got married! congrats

Umm, dunno... I remember researching it all back when I was buying Mum's car. I'd just be googling it again myself, but maybe a trans shop can tell you? It was apparantly pretty common on early 4 speed auto i30s. If yours has a lot of kms on it and its mostly behaving id probably drive it til it drops, replacement transmissions are not exactly hard to find or very exxy.
    jo proffi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    You got married! congrats

Umm, dunno... I remember researching it all back when I was buying Mum's car. I'd just be googling it again myself, but maybe a trans shop can tell you? It was apparantly pretty common on early 4 speed auto i30s. If yours has a lot of kms on it and its mostly behaving id probably drive it til it drops, replacement transmissions are not exactly hard to find or very exxy.
    Not the same gearbox as the AL4 is it? That was a Siemens device if I recall.

The question does make the point that Japanese/Korean vehicles aren't at some magical level of reliability. It reminds me of the issue about checking service history, getting someone who knows the model to drive it and check for dynamic faults etc etc.
    COL and Berridale like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Not the same gearbox as the AL4 is it? That was a Siemens device if I recall.

The question does make the point that Japanese/Korean vehicles aren't at some magical level of reliability. It reminds me of the issue about checking service history, getting someone who knows the model to drive it and check for dynamic faults etc etc.
    No, its their own unit. Hyundai are one of the few automakers that make their own transmissions.

No, theyre not magic. Its the details I notice though. Little things, such as the routing and securing of wiring looms in the engine bay - super nicely thought out and secure. Compared to our Alfa Giulietta where it looks a lot more slapped together with looms rubbing against things etc... Plastics is good too, the koreans/japs use a more robust and less brittle plastic on everything.

But the i30 drives well. It was designed as their big break into the european market car so it was set up to handle properly.

I enjoyed our i30 hire car (turbo diesel) in Europe when it was a brand new model. It drove really well in all conditions. Well engineered underpinnings I felt.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

I think my Korean made Latitude is very reliable. I have replaced the rear brake pads, a battery, and tyres. In over 6 years and 80,000 kilometres.

As was my French made R20 at 600,000 kilometres same engine, clutch and gearbox. It let me down once on the road when a hose came away from the fuel pump. Other than that it only had the usual maintenance issues.
    COL and Berridale like this.

Fellow Frogger!

John,
    when i was working at the hospital i used to hear how much people spend on their Jap cars , it surprised me how expensive some repairs were.
    The kids have a Scenic and a 206 GTI both ultra reliable but these girls actually listen to the car.

The other day i got in contact with a Fiat Car Club member who is a repairer, nice guy people all say, which he is.
    I was after some clues on the airbag light on my Alfa GTV.
    Done a fair bit of research and its not as simple as the Peugeot to fix, but you read the posts and you get the idea connections and the ACU fails. Then you have to clear it.
    The recomendation was that maybe he would have to replace the lot inc airbags , loom, ACU.
    The ACU is on the way from Europe. And the set of diagnostic plugs you must have. Problem solved.

Women often get shafted by mechanics, other daughter paid $170 to have her 307 AC re-gassed in Canberra.
    It's a hard thing when women particularly are vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I think my Korean made Latitude is very reliable. I have replaced the rear brake pads, a battery, and tyres. In over 6 years and 80,000 kilometres.

As was my French made R20 at 600,000 kilometres same engine, clutch and gearbox. It let me down once on the road when a hose came away from the fuel pump. Other than that it only had the usual maintenance issues.
    Boy you do some high mileages! That moves your cars towards the taxi end of longevity I guess.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Fellow Frogger!

Have a look at a good KIA RIO hatchback. Bought one for $5000 a while ago, with 180K on the dial. Ran like a dream. Really simple uncomplicated technology at that time and very easy to work on. Sold it for the same price some years later and bought the Scenic which was great but then started falling apart: real costly drama with the cam belt and then things started to fall off like the ceiling lining coming down on my head, visors drooping etc, Traded it in on my first Koleos and have been a happy chappie ever since.

1000+ Posts

Boy you do some high mileages! That moves your cars towards the taxi end of longevity I guess.
    It was two years old when I bought it from a dodgy back street car yard and had to fit a new speedo so perhaps the 96,000 on the clock at that time was even more. Drove it home, loaded up and left for Victoria the next day. At the time I was doing 1000 k's per week and throw in a couple of trips to Victoria per year and it doesn't take long to add up. Then I lent it to a mate who also drove a similar number of k's per week. It ened up a farm hack loaded with tools and irrigation stuff. But rust finally caught up with it and the clutch would have needed replacing so unfortunately it had to go when we sold the farm in 2007.
    JohnW likes this.

how about this...is it similar to i30...its an i35
    https://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001...wagon?spr=true
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    how about this...is it similar to i30...its an i35
    hi Rev
    That car is worth a lot more than she wants to pay. But I guess you could be lucky.
    Look here for valuations; https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/resu...2010..2011%5d)
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    hi Rev
    That car is worth a lot more than she wants to pay. But I guess you could be lucky.
    Jaahn
    Yeah...its still only at $3k with not a lot of time left...seems greys auctions is the way to go if you're not in a rush...ps...I'd never rely on redbook etc...they are behind on real data but yes..it seems way under price so far...lets see where it ends
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

hi Rev
    Jaahn
    sold for $5000
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Hi
    Was it her bid ? Great value at that price. I did not read the fine print to see if there was a reserve or ? People are preoccupied with other things currently !
    Jaahn
    PS I never 'rely' on RedBook for prices but it is a good tool to use. The prices for French cars are hopeless. But .... what else ? Just your own search on Carsales and the like.

Hi
    Was it her bid ? Great value at that price. I did not read the fine print to see if there was a reserve or ? People are preoccupied with other things currently !
    Jaahn
    PS I never 'rely' on RedBook for prices but it is a good tool to use. The prices for French cars are hopeless. But .... what else ? Just your own search on Carsales and the like.
    No...after looking for both manuals and auto's I then learn that now she wants an auto...very frustrating
    there is a buyers premium on top but either way it was good value...I know where ill be buying my next modern car!!
    I find asking prices are just that...on ebay search for completed listings...cars that actually sold are a more accurate barometer of the market...which in turn dictates value
    Rev. Dogboy

1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Latitudes are taxis - Seoul in Korea was full of them!

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    JohnW likes this.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information