• 2 Post By COL
  • 2 Post By Frans
  • 1 Post By pugwash
  • 1 Post By Frans

Thread: R1135 Gordini 1967 Spark plugs

Default R1135 Gordini 1967 Spark plugs

Hi froggers,
    Merry Xmas etc.
    My manual says to use Champion N62R spark plugs in my car, no longer available, according to Champion's website, checked today.
    Apparently there are 27 different brand replacements. Which plug should I be using please?

Advertisement

regards,
    Ross

COL

I use NGK in my Renaults, have been using these for years without any problems.

Others may have other brands that they have used and recommend.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

R8G

Merry Christmas Ross

Iím using Champion 696 which is the C59R in my R8G.
    Picked them up from eBay for about $70 inc. delivery.

Regards,
    Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jason Emmelkamp
    President, Renault Car Club of Australia

• 1967 Renault 8 Gordini
    • 2006 Renault Megane BO 225 Cup
    • 2014 Renault Fluence (Ph.2)

COL
    Kenfuego and Sunroof like this.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Ross,

The Champion N62R sparks from the center outwards without a cathode protruding in the spark travel. The reason for Renault to use that type of plug is due to the flame shutes where the pre-combusted fuel shoots out into the main combustion chamber on two sides, making it an effective twin spark from one spark plug.

I use B8ES in my street car but when I install them I make a little mark with a marking pen on the side where the Cathode is mounted to the body of the plug. When I install the plug I make sure that the Cathode do not point towards a flame shute but sits at a right angle to the shute so that when the fuel is ignited there is no restriction for the flame and it can exit the pre-combustion chamber freely.

Just being a bit fussy. Frans,
    COL and 85Fuego like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

COL

Interesting Frans

I just checked the specs out between the B8ES that you are using and the B8EG that NGK recommend for the R8G.

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9249

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9245

There are 2 differences that I can see that matter

1) B8EG has a 1.3 mm centre electrode and the B8ES has a 2.5mm centre electrode

2) The plug gap recommendations are different B8EG 0.6mm gap and B8ES 0.8mm gap.

Just out of interest why did you select the B8ES?
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

just for the record which way are the shutes orientated ,front to back or side to side ,in the day colliers used to fit machined spacers under the plug, for road use , as i was told, the only hotter plug available at that time had a longer thread ,.and also because of this pre combustion set up it is not recommended to leave the engine running at idle for too long as it can foule up the plugs ,i got mine back from the panel shop after getting some miner touch ups done ,running like a dog ,as they had left it idle while they gave it a tub ,before delivering it ,pugs ps i think they were golden lodge plug which had multiple cathodes ,so orientation wouldnt have been a problem .
    jaahn likes this.

Hi Col.

I have no specific reason. I have not checked the direct replacements but thought it out to myself. B8 is a cold plug which would be ok for the streetcar and normal use and the price is right as they are common plugs. I used B9ES for the race car but they are not cold enough and cannot handle those conditions so I found the Autolite Racing the only plug good enough. The Autolites do not work with points and condensor, the gap is too big and they are non-adjustable. The race car runs MegaJolt and doesn't care about the big gap.

Pugwash,

The shutes run front to back because the valve seats are side to side. Running the engine at idle doesn't do it good, that is correct and the factory manual actually tells you to rev it occasionally when tuning the carbs
    COL likes this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Ross,

The Champion N62R sparks from the center outwards without a cathode protruding in the spark travel. The reason for Renault to use that type of plug is due to the flame shutes where the pre-combusted fuel shoots out into the main combustion chamber on two sides, making it an effective twin spark from one spark plug.

I use B8ES in my street car but when I install them I make a little mark with a marking pen on the side where the Cathode is mounted to the body of the plug. When I install the plug I make sure that the Cathode do not point towards a flame shute but sits at a right angle to the shute so that when the fuel is ignited there is no restriction for the flame and it can exit the pre-combustion chamber freely.

Just being a bit fussy. Frans,
    Thanks Frans,by the way I had my suspension spring checked, found one front to be 15mm short, Lovell springs reset, lovely people,very helpful.
    Ross

1000+ Posts

Hi
    As Pugwash has said, back in the day the best plug to use for 'normal' road use was a longer reach plug which was fitted with a spacer. A suitable heat range was not available then in the correct shorter reach. The details do not come to mind now. But if you used them without the spacer the plug electrode hit the 'shute' bridge and closed up and did not fire. As I recall the longer plugs worked well for normal use. Lodge racing plugs were used for harder use.
    Jaahn

Thread Information