https://www.classicandsportscar.com/...ret-collection

COL

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    This is on that site too !
    Jaahn
    https://www.classicandsportscar.com/...ret-collection
    I have been there:

Renault should build a museum for these cars instead of having them locked up in an old warehouse behind the gates of the Flins Factory.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I've discussed this with the pleasant man in charge of the workshop where they keep their key active display cars going and do some restorations. Renault's argument is that they take their cars to many events where people can see them driven (and hear them...) rather than expecting people to come to them. The display emphasis is certainly true, as they had 27 cars from the collection at Montlhery a few years ago and some at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Among others at Montlhery, they ran their replica of the 1906 French Grand Prix winner, both the pre-war record breaking cars, the 1978 Le Mans winner, and the 1950s turbine "Etoile Filante". Quite a wow. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

They could do a superb museum, starting in 1898 of course, but for now (maybe for ever) they choose not to. Pity, I agree. Daimler Benz's superb museum shows you don't need to display hundreds of cars to make it work.

There is a great book of professional photos of many of the cars, with a French text. It is "Renault la Collection" by Antoine Pascal, ISBN 978-2-85120-702-9 published by E/P/A. I have it and can recommend it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I've discussed this with the pleasant man in charge of the workshop where they keep their key active display cars going and do some restorations. Renault's argument is that they take their cars to many events where people can see them driven (and hear them...) rather than expecting people to come to them. The display emphasis is certainly true, as they had 27 cars from the collection at Montlhery a few years ago and some at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Among others at Montlhery, they ran their replica of the 1906 French Grand Prix winner, both the pre-war record breaking cars, the 1978 Le Mans winner, and the 1950s turbine "Etoile Filante". Quite a wow. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

They could do a superb museum, starting in 1898 of course, but for now (maybe for ever) they choose not to. Pity, I agree. Daimler Benz's superb museum shows you don't need to display hundreds of cars to make it work.

There is a great book of professional photos of many of the cars, with a French text. It is "Renault la Collection" by Antoine Pascal, ISBN 978-2-85120-702-9 published by E/P/A. I have it and can recommend it.
    Yes that is true that they do take their cars to several displays throughout the year.

actually it would be nice if they did both, continue what they are doing and also have a museum.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

And send some of the unusual to Australia occasionally.

What JohnW says is very true of most of the manufacturers, as can be seen in my link for Porsche.

The (Not So) Secret Porsche Museum Storage Facility - Speedhunters

I am fortunate, I have walked through this one, as the place they keep a lot of the older LeMans spares is right next door.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Thread Information