• 4 Post By Bustamif
  • 1 Post By geckoeng
  • 1 Post By Kenfuego

Thread: Dauphine Hotrod

IWS

Default Dauphine Hotrod

Unusual - to say the least ....

Advertisement

I can only guess that he did it because he could.... Amazing what people will spend time on. Thanks for posting.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

What an idiot.

The car looks cool, but the engine swap is moronic. You can get more power with the Renault lump (or some other Renault lump that drops straight in).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Don't think a Renault engine would drop in. It is a Dauph body on a VW floorpan, complete with drum brakes and torsion bar front end!

However I do see the point in an over 2.3 Litre VW engine. They are getting really big reliable horsepower from those things with all the goodies available and two 48 IDA's. Some may recall that back in the day, a 2.2 VW driven by Chris Heyer blew the doors off Colliers lightweight Supercharged 1600 R8G to win the Rallycross Championship.

There you go, wrong again.

Was that a US special on the VW floorpan?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

I am guessing the method used in the build was like building a beach buggy in California back in the 60's/70's. I assume they lifted the VW body off the floorpan of an old 1200 bug, not sure if it would be necessary to cut and shut the floorpan to change the wheelbase, then they treated the Dauphine body like a fibreglass Bug and dropped it over the floorpan.

I would have put some disc brakes on, those kits are easy to find for a bug. Maybe a Porsche or Renault 5 speed box would be good. The torsion bar front end would work OK.

You could probably shorten the wheelbase on the pan and do a 4CV.

Looks Slow.......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Come on Guys, this is a POS that was done after a case of Bourbon , not one of you would drive in it when you already complain of the lack of safety features in old cars, like Dauphines R8 and R10.

......... get a life and put this thread to rest.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Come on Guys, this is a POS that was done after a case of Bourbon , not one of you would drive in it when you already complain of the lack of safety features in old cars, like Dauphines R8 and R10.

......... get a life and put this thread to rest.
    With whatever respect is due, I differ. Yes, I'd do some things differently but I have no objection to straying from the Renault path & flirted with the idea of putting a Subaru flat four in the 4CVG.

Threads are for those who wish to talk about what's in them; if you don't want to participate, then vote with your feet & leave it. Oh, & kindly eschew toss-off insults like "get a life" to those who differ from your taste.

Your's in irritation, Peter
    IWS, Trading Estate and Bustamif like this.

I’ve seen great things done to beetles and beetle based creations. But I think there should be some sort of relation between the underpinnings and the outer shell. I guess I’m a bit concervative.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

I'm waiting to see the Porsche body lifted and replaced with a VW beetle one...

Found one

Fellow Frogger!

That one was clearly conceived over a few bottles of Spanish wine not a case of Bourbon in the USA.

As to the merits of this thread, I have a pretty good life approaching 70 and still enjoy a few laps on the racetrack, even last weekend at well over 260 Kph. I would not hesitate to drive a few laps in the the VW Dauphine or the A110 911R if given the change. I have been in much worse things than those doing race driver coaching days and observed licence tests for Targa wannabes.
    bowie, J-man, nauli and 1 others like this.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Reidar View Post
    What about a A110 with Porsche 911 engine, gearbox and rear suspension?
    C'est magnifique

What about a Renault with a Renault......
    L7X - 24 valve, with a turbo........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AuMftothb0

Alpine_pres.jpg
    Alpine_pres1.jpg
    Alpine_pres5.jpg
    Full-Width-Header.jpg

Was Hill Climb Champion 2017, but rules changes, has made it easier to buy a 933 RS GT3 and race that in open class, where he is winning again..

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Quote Originally Posted by dvr View Post
    I'm waiting to see the Porsche body lifted and replaced with a VW beetle one...

Found one

Late Beetle bodies on Porsche are very common in California and Texas, a very good swap.
    Ray geckoeng

Quote Originally Posted by Bustamif View Post
    That one was clearly conceived over a few bottles of Spanish wine not a case of Bourbon in the USA.

As to the merits of this thread, I have a pretty good life approaching 70 and still enjoy a few laps on the racetrack, even last weekend at well over 260 Kph. I would not hesitate to drive a few laps in the the VW Dauphine or the A110 911R if given the change. I have been in much worse things than those doing race driver coaching days and observed licence tests for Targa wannabes.
    In ZA I stopped doing Scruitieering when told by orgaisers that entries were down and they needed the entrants. The following year the race organisers did the same thing with the new guy, and the POS he passed hurt somebody badly. I was asked to give evidence at the hearing. I refuse to go in a POS now, or pass it, for anything.
    bowie likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

We have a Porsche workshop opposite my work, and one of their regular customer has this Porsche powered Kombi that has a vinyl wrap to look rusty and stuffed. I haven't been in it, but it looks scary fast taking off under full noise. Quite amusing

Kombi Porsche R.jpgKombi Porsche F.jpg
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    What about a Renault with a Renault......
    L7X - 24 valve, with a turbo........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AuMftothb0

Alpine_pres.jpg
    Alpine_pres1.jpg
    Alpine_pres5.jpg
    Full-Width-Header.jpg

Was Hill Climb Champion 2017, but rules changes, has made it easier to buy a 933 RS GT3 and race that in open class, where he is winning again..

Ray
    Nice one...pretty taily!!!
    1969 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

Ah lets not be too critical, I well recall a wonderful family car club member who could not afford an Austin seven engine rebuild for his chummy bodied Austin seven, he put a Japanese built engine and gearbox in it and his young family and other car club members appreciated its appearance and use by the family in club runs. Better than gathering dust in boxes of bits lying in some ones suburban garage.

Sadly Athol has departed this world, but I bet that Chummy is someone's expensive fully restored treasure, because it survived.

My two cents.

ken
    bowie likes this.

Thread Information