KADJAR is here!
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: KADJAR is here!

Fellow Frogger!

Default KADJAR is here!

I am being inundated with enticements from Renault to go and admire the fabulous new KADJAR at 'my local Renault dealer'.
    My question is: what is a KADJAR and what does it replace? I understand it is supposed to be an SUV.

Advertisement

I am a bit 'out of the loop' lately because my wonderful Koleos Bose has been servicing our needs quietly and dependably these past five years and the need to visit my 'local Renault dealer' has not arisen, but several years ago the talk was that the KADJAR was the Australian substitute for the venerable Scenic.
    Last edited by Breitie; 17th November 2019 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Waffle

Renault.com.au website now illustrates it pretty well on their start page. In my understanding size, cost and functionality wise it fits in between the captur and the Koleos. The captur is based on the Clio floorpan and as you know the Koleos on the xtrail, so the kadjar fits in the middle.
    KB

1000+ Posts

Or you could just Google it...unless you're too much of an old Kodjar.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Or you could just Google it...unless you're too much of an old Kodjar.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Had a look yesterday. No doubt they'll sell reasonably well if the price is right.

I mustn't be negative, not least because the local dealer is ten minutes away and friendly and useful from time to time and I want them to stay in business. So I hope they sell. But I'm not in the queue to buy one myself having sat in one front and rear - it felt claustrophobic and the seats don't come out. They are just another medium-sized SUV-like fridge really albeit with a better interior design than the Nissan equivalent. Plenty of others on the market, especially one of the Skoda models. I regard the Koleos as big. Perhaps I should go and look more seriously at a Captur (they are badged as Kaptur in Russia btw). Anyway, each to his/her own.

I am pleased to see Renault going well and from what I've heard, 2020 could see further sales improvements.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I am pleased to see Renault going well and from what I've heard, 2020 could see further sales improvements.
    Renault Australia are introducing the 5/5/5 - Easy Life Program - Which brings together their 5 Year/Unlimited Kilometre warranty, 5 Years or 150,000km - whichever comes first - of capped price servicing and 5 Years of Roadside Assist. This is going to be rolled out with each new release and during 2020. Service intervals are set at 12 months/30,000km.

Renault are coming into a period of a lot of new releases locally, so this will surely increase sales next year.

Here are a couple of Australian reviews on the Kadjar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_TqivDX4u4&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tTaRrDIkhE&t=4s

It seems to be getting a lot of good reviews from the Australian press, so with any luck it'll translate into some healthy sales.

Also, the 'Kaptur' that is sold in Russia, is a little different to the global 'Captur'. It's actually based on the Dacia Duster platform and so is longer and has a higher ground clearance than the global 'Captur'. The 'Kaptur' is also sold in Brazil and India, but it's sold as the 'Captur' in those markets, just to confuse everyone even more!
    2016 Holden Astra RS-V 1.6L Turbo Manual Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive

2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Past Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    1995 Renault 19 Alize 1.8L Manual Sedan - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive

Thanks for that information - I hadn't noticed that the Kapturs in Russia were different from "our" Capturs, but of course when you don't see them side-by-side it can be hard to tell. Lots of Renaults/Dacias in Russia btw.

If you look back at the R12 it was a great success. Not too different from the other run of the mill devices, excellent design, good priciing and bullet proof if you ignored rust on some examples... I think the Kadjar and Koleos fit that approach in the market, without the rust of course.

Reluctantly I have to concede that a Series IV Scenic would be too pricey to sell in useful numbers, as the Series II proved I fear.... Excellent vehicle but you do have to sell enough of them.

I see your newest is a Holden though.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

I noticed the big advertising Renault sign at Tullamarine airport as I was dropping off one of our esteemed members today, But it was advertising the 7 years warranty on current Koleos! I didn't realise the Koleos had a seven year warranty, perhaps Brietie should get another Koleos and he would know it should see out that warranty..

Thanks for that information - I hadn't noticed that the Kapturs in Russia were different from "our" Capturs, but of course when you don't see them side-by-side it can be hard to tell. Lots of Renaults/Dacias in Russia btw.

If you look back at the R12 it was a great success. Not too different from the other run of the mill devices, excellent design, good priciing and bullet proof if you ignored rust on some examples... I think the Kadjar and Koleos fit that approach in the market, without the rust of course.

Reluctantly I have to concede that a Series IV Scenic would be too pricey to sell in useful numbers, as the Series II proved I fear.... Excellent vehicle but you do have to sell enough of them.

I see your newest is a Holden though.....
    I'm a Scenic fan too, but agree, the IV Scenic would just be too expensive and would only sell in tiny numbers when compared to the tsunami of SUV offerings and sales numbers, so having the Captur, Kadjar and Koleos SUV's to fill those needs, will hopefully put Renault onto more Aussie buyers shopping lists.

And with the Scenic not being engineered for RHD markets, that also doesn't help our cause! I really like the IV Grand Scenic, it's a beauty, but I've just got no use for a vehicle like that. Not even the Kadjar or Koleos would be something we'd look at really. The new generation Captur arriving in the second half of 2020, just might be enough to get us to swap over our Peugeot 2008, that or maybe the new Skoda Kamiq SUV, either way, I don't think we'll be going back to a Peugeot, well if the better half has anything to do with it.

I always though the Dacia Duster would be a perfect fit for Renault in Australia. It's an SUV, it's sold in other RHD markets like the UK and South Africa, but for some reason it's not 'desirable' enough for Renault Australia to bring here?

And yes, I now drive a Holden! I bought it a year and a half ago when Holden were flogging off huge inventory of DEMO'ed Astra's. I wanted something newish and a manual. For the price I drove away in mine, it had 2,000km on the odometer and with the engine and transmission combination - 1.6L Turbo 147kW 6spd manual, along with all the wanky features that I rarely use, it was VERY hard to pass by. Nothing else came close and so it was with a heavy heart, I turned my back on Renault for the first time in many years and bought my first ever Holden! I absolutely love the car and it's a very understated car, it really is a shame more people haven't gone out and drove one. But hey, it's now French owned (Opel)!
    2016 Holden Astra RS-V 1.6L Turbo Manual Hatch - Current Drive
    2013 Peugeot 2008 Active 1.6L Auto Wagon - Current Drive

2006 Renault Megane Expression 2.0L Auto Hatch - Past Drive
    2013 Renault Latitude Privilege 2.0L dCi Auto Sedan - Past Drive

2008 Renault Laguna Dynamique 2.0L dCi Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 3.0L V6 Auto Wagon - Past Drive
    1995 Renault 19 Alize 1.8L Manual Sedan - Past Drive
    1998 SEAT Cordoba SXE 1.6L Manual Sedan - Past Drive

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I noticed the big advertising Renault sign at Tullamarine airport as I was dropping off one of our esteemed members today, But it was advertising the 7 years warranty on current Koleos! I didn't realise the Koleos had a seven year warranty, perhaps Brietie should get another Koleos and he would know it should see out that warranty..
    Firstly, I thought Opel of Germany was kicked out of the GM stable and is now with Fiat Chrysler?

As for the Koleos, that is the new large version, nice vehicle but it is too big for me, even with the 7x7x7 warranty. Thank you Kenfuego for the tip but my lovely 2014 ex Budget Kolly is the perfect size and still purring like a kitten. However, it is always reassuring when makers offer long warranties, like Hyundai as well at 7 years, because it it indicates that their product is expected to last, without undue breakdowns or repairs.

Thirdly, I notice the conventional SUV is dead in the water. Dead as a doornail. As discussed in this forum previously, the go-to vehicle for everybody on the planet now is the dual cab "ute". They are like arseholes: everybody has one. There are five (correction: ten by last count!) just in my street and on the road every third one appears to be of that design. Saw a travel blog about Argentina where they are everywhere as well. So, if Renault wants to play in that market, it better come up with a dual cab. And don't foget the 'must have' fat aluminium fake hand rails at the back. Funny how every version has those.

Finally, I believe DACIA (Darcia?) was a manufacturer somewhere in the East, could be Chekoslovakia or such, before being taken over by Renault?
    Last edited by Breitie; 23rd November 2019 at 05:08 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Firstly, I thought Opel of Germany was kicked out of the GM stable and is now with Fiat Chrysler?

Yes it's a bit confusing... Opel & Vaxhaull were snapped up by PSA - so iLagnua is absolutely correct. But hey, PSA and FCA are merging, so you're right too!

1000+ Posts

Dacia = Romania

iLaguna, I totally rate my daughter's 2009 Astra regardless of the critics. It's not the best handling of things as the damping is badly set up, but its build quality is absolutely excellent and the engine's a nice piece of work. It's so solidly built and nice to work on. But the driving experience isn't much to write home about. I do wonder what an SRi 2.2 would be like...
    Last edited by Stuey; 20th November 2019 at 06:11 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

....... I notice the conventional SUV is dead in the water. Dead as a doornail. As discussed in this forum previously, the go-to vehicle for everybody on the planet now is the dual cab "ute". They are like arseholes: everybody has one. There are five just in my street and on the road every third one appears to be of that design. Saw a travel blog about Argentina where they are everywhere as well. So, if Renault wants to play in that market, it better come up with a dual cab. And don't foget the 'must have' fat aluminium fake hand rails at the back. Funny how every version has those......................
    Google "Renault Alaskan"..........https://2019besttrucks.com/renault/2...nault-alaskan/
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

As for the Koleos, that is the new large version, nice vehicle but it is too big for me, even with the 7x7x7 warranty. Thank you Kenfuego for the tip but my lovely 2014 ex Budget Kolly is the perfect size and still purring like a kitten. However, it is always reassuring when makers offer long warranties, like Hyundai as well at 7 years, because it it indicates that their product is expected to last, without undue breakdowns or repairs.

Thirdly, I notice the conventional SUV is dead in the water. Dead as a doornail. As discussed in this forum previously, the go-to vehicle for everybody on the planet now is the dual cab "ute". They are like arseholes: everybody has one. There are five just in my street and on the road every third one appears to be of that design. Saw a travel blog about Argentina where they are everywhere as well. So, if Renault wants to play in that market, it better come up with a dual cab. And don't foget the 'must have' fat aluminium fake hand rails at the back. Funny how every version has those.

Finally, I believe DACIA (Darcia?) was a manufacturer somewhere in the East, could be Chekoslovakia or such, before being taken over by Renault?
    Try Romania. They built R8 and R12 models from the 1960s and became a Renault subsidiary in 1999. Their Duster is a sensible vehicle, badged as a Renault in South America and they knocked "real" Renault sales in France when they became available there.

Someone save us all from big utes, Renault Alaskan and all. No wonder our emissions are rising.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Fellow Frogger!

Try Romania. They built R8 and R12 models from the 1960s and became a Renault subsidiary in 1999. Their Duster is a sensible vehicle, badged as a Renault in South America and they knocked "real" Renault sales in France when they became available there.

Someone save us all from big utes, Renault Alaskan and all. No wonder our emissions are rising.....
    Funny that. With all the hysteria about 'climate change' and poor little Greta crying into her wheetbix, and warning us that 'the end is nigh', cars are defying that logic and are getting bigger and bigger and ever bigger. Stood next to the latest Nissan Pathfinder SUV the other day and felt like I was standing next to a truck, with what must be humungous 20" wheels! Same with the Mitsubishi Outlander. Also, V8 engines are defying the climate change alarmism and making a comeback and once again gaining in popularity. My little brain cannot cope trying to make sense of all this.

PS: thanks for the correction regarding Dacia and Romania. Hard to tell those ex Soviet countries apart.
    Last edited by Breitie; 21st November 2019 at 10:16 AM.

Funny that. With all the hysteria about 'climate change' and poor little Greta crying into her wheetbix, and warning us that 'the end is nigh', cars are defying that logic and are getting bigger and bigger and ever bigger. Stood next to the latest Nissan Pathfinder SUV the other day and felt like I was standing next to a truck, with what must be humungous 20" wheels! Same with the Mitsubishi Outlander. Also, V8 engines are defying the climate change alarmism and making a comeback and once again gaining in popularity. My little brain cannot cope trying to make sense of all this.

PS: thanks for the correction regarding Dacia and Romania. Hard to tell those ex Soviet countries apart.
    My pleasure. Just dodged one of these stupid utes running a red light at me in the R8. Eek.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

This getting a bit off topic, but I've been doing a bit of a clean up at home and found the attached photos which I took in Romania c. July 1989. Dacia produced six different body variants for the basic R12 - sedan, station wagon, fast-back station wagon, two door coupe, utility and high-roofed van. We saw only the sedan and station wagon in Australia.
    Dacia12-2DrCoupe.jpgDacia12-4DrSportWagon.jpgDacia12s-Romanai-Jul89.jpg

Off-topic maybe but conversations do meander.... Interesting and thanks. You should see what they did in South America!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Our cars reflect our policies, but we'll see what happens after the dust of our latest climate induced catastrophes settles.

Back to utes, what you see tells where you look. Normal countries have understood climate change is real and have already decided to phase out IC cars. So you might think that their cars are the same as ours but they're nothing of the like. I recently visited a friend in Austria and found their car now was a BMW X5. But before I opened my mouth to give them the what's that I noticed it was a hybrid. So look more carefully when you see cars you think you might have seen here. We're a few decades behind. European-wide legislation now penalises (and has done that for a while) in various forms engine size and encourages electric and hybrid purchases. Every second car is one of those and numbers are going up enough it seems that BMW found it necessary to make even the X5 green. Others have done the same.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Icon12 What next, anything is fair game in a mystical world and no virgins to sacrifice!!

Boy now automobile design is the latest hysterical flight of fantasy of the true believer... I suppose that is an excuse for lack of reasoning, in this the dark age of design, as we retreat in our cave systems and dust off our wheelbarrows.

Or is it just opportunism, next thing we will be putting unbelievers in stocks in the public squares because of badly designed or over hyped consumer preference..!

Weather we will or weather we won't is in the lap of the gods, But I guess I should not say that

Big Koleos with a seven year warranty or small reliable comfortable Koleos that came first, and my guess is that such reliability and performance encourages the makers to offer a competitive warranty in a bean counters market. or a nice new whatsits name.

Nice

Ken

My pleasure. Just dodged one of these stupid utes running a red light at me in the R8. Eek.
    Well get off your phone and pay more attention to the road! <kidding!>
    KB

August 2018 passed on our Scenic II to daughter at 250k and still running good as new. Last oil change I did was as good as the first one 15yrs ago!! Now have the Koleos Life and still Renault on top but Nissan X-Trail underneath. Renault of course owns Renault so probably going to see more of this. Even ours is built in Korea. But cannot fault it, bigger overall but not as much room in back as the Scenic. 2.5cc petrol and better mpg than the Scenic. Lovely to drive and CVT is brilliant. Most comments re the Nissan drive train say pretty much bullet proof. My friend even says it rides better than his new Honda CRV. Now all I have to do is live long enough to see it reach 250k... we will see.
    Added thought... Cruise control is nice but.... acceleration on grades is too severe, on relatively flat level is fine but hit a bit of a grade at 100k and rpm goes from 1.6k to 3.5 or even 4k. Asked Renault service if there is a firmware to improve but happening. Anybody else notice this?
    Last edited by Revscene; 26th February 2020 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Well get off your phone and pay more attention to the road! <kidding!>
    It got worse yesterday. A young bloke in an Audi accelerated hard as he swung onto the road coming towards me and lost control. He then came way over to my side of the road - not far off a head-on in the suburbs. Don't these guys understand that an R8 is precious and rare?????
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by Revscene View Post
    August 2018 passed on our Scenic II to daughter at 250k and still running good as new. Last oil change I did was as good as the first one 15yrs ago!! Now have the Koleos Life and still Renault on top but Nissan X-Trail underneath. Renault of course owns Renault so probably going to see more of this. Even ours is built in Korea. But cannot fault it, bigger overall but not as much room in back as the Scenic. 2.5cc petrol and better mpg than the Scenic. Lovely to drive and CVT is brilliant. Most comments re the Nissan drive train say pretty much bullet proof. My friend even says it rides better than his new Honda CRV. Now all I have to do is live long enough to see it reach 250k... we will see.
    Added thought... Cruise control is nice but.... acceleration on grades is too severe, on relatively flat level is fine but hit a bit of a grade at 100k and rpm goes from 1.6k to 3.5 or even 4k. Asked Renault service if there is a firmware to improve but happening. Anybody else notice this?
    That's all interesting. You'd hope it would ride better than a Honda I'd have thought! The two negatives for me are "less room in the back" coupled with non-removable rear seats and "cruise control is nice but....". I've sat in one and found it claustrophobic too. I'm sure it'll give you brilliant and reliable service, but I have to say the negatives put me off given lots of life in the Scenic II at this stage. Irrelevant issues to non-Scenic owners of course..

Good of you to post impressions.

Is it as easy to place in parking spots as the Scenic, out of interest?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Boy now automobile design is the latest hysterical flight of fantasy of the true believer... I suppose that is an excuse for lack of reasoning, in this the dark age of design, as we retreat in our cave systems and dust off our wheelbarrows.

Or is it just opportunism, next thing we will be putting unbelievers in stocks in the public squares because of badly designed or over hyped consumer preference..!

Weather we will or weather we won't is in the lap of the gods, But I guess I should not say that

Big Koleos with a seven year warranty or small reliable comfortable Koleos that came first, and my guess is that such reliability and performance encourages the makers to offer a competitive warranty in a bean counters market. or a nice new whatsits name.

Nice

Ken
    The New KOLEOS may be bigger overall than the Mk 1 or Mk 2 variants but as I have previously advised it is a whole 17 kg lighter than either of it's predecessors in the same trim and power-train levels. Greta would be impressed....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information