spares/parts for a 1963 R4 (R1123)
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By Ron from sa
  • 1 Post By Ron from sa

Thread: spares/parts for a 1963 R4 (R1123)

Tadpole

Default spares/parts for a 1963 R4 (R1123)

Looking for anyone who is wrecking an R4 R1123 or has spares, books, brochures. In fact anything R4.
    I am in SA but would be willing to ship from any state.
    Thanks.
    Ron

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ron from sa View Post
    Looking for anyone who is wrecking an R4 R1123 or has spares, books, brochures. In fact anything R4.
    I am in SA but would be willing to ship from any state. Thanks. Ron
    Hello Ron,

Do you know Simon? He posts here and is in Adelaide. Wonderful source of information. Also, at least one person in Club Automobile Francaise in Adelaide will have worked on the cars.

There are a few in our Renault 4CV Register of Australia - you could try joining our Facebook page and asking there, or better join the Register as well (PM me with an email address and I'll send you the form!!).

Finally, have you discovered Melun Retro Passion and Bretagne Auto Retro on line in France? They are good suppliers. I'm not sure about those very early cars regarding rear suspension parts - Simon knows I imagine.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

There's a project car for sale in Tamworth too - PM me for details.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

What spares are you looking for? I've not got any bumpers, wiper blades/arms, early headlamp rings, headlamps, perfect breadloaf grills, perfect bonnets, decent 6V starters or generators. However there are a few other odds and ends kicking around depending on what you may need.

If you are starting from a basket case, just make double triple sure that the chassis is in decent knick. They rust from inside out in not so obvious places, and depending on your level of skills can challenge whatever budget you may be working to. And depending on your starting point, they can make a 2CV look cheap - the 2CV has its own cottage industry built around the car, hence their prices. An early R4 is not quite so well endowed when it comes to early model parts.
    JohnW likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    What spares are you looking for? I've not got any bumpers, wiper blades/arms, early headlamp rings, headlamps, perfect breadloaf grills, perfect bonnets, decent 6V starters or generators. However there are a few other odds and ends kicking around depending on what you may need.

If you are starting from a basket case, just make double triple sure that the chassis is in decent knick. They rust from inside out in not so obvious places, and depending on your level of skills can challenge whatever budget you may be working to. And depending on your starting point, they can make a 2CV look cheap - the 2CV has its own cottage industry built around the car, hence their prices. An early R4 is not quite so well endowed when it comes to early model parts.
    Thanks Simon,
    How are you placed for tubular steel framed rear seats, top of the dash, and an dial/switches panel. I won't be receiving the car until next week. I'll probably have a more comprehensive list when I can have a good look over it. Maybe if I PM you at the time and arrange with you to come round and have a look.
    I take your point about the potential chassis issues - I'm nervously awaiting the cars arrival, but if the rust isn't too extensive I should be able to manage. I do know in advance that the floor pan is in a poor state. I have seen that they are making new, galvanized chassis (like for the 2CV) for the R4.
    Thanks again Simon.
    Ron
    JohnW likes this.

Nothing in the way of tube frame seats either. If going for a hammock rear seat, it may be best also grabbing a front hammock seat frame too. Otherwise it would look odd with the foam base front seats. The folding foam rear seat, and foam base front seats were part of the R1123 "upgrade" package.

Dash tops (almost) always crack at the left hand vent on the R1123 type, I've got an earlier R1120 type with the larger vent doors, but it has a 10 cent size round hole cut into it. An instrument cluster is there, but like most, the numbers have gone cyrillic - I'll have a look for the best one.

Also note that an R4 has something in common with a VW Beetle, they all look the same, but they have a lot of parts that won't directly interchange. I suspect the chassis will be one of those things, the last I saw of those were they were a late type chassis with a four-speed front crossmember bulge, and then there are variations with the torsion bar mounts. If getting a late chassis replacement, I'd also get the late suspension and components (these were easier to source than the early components, and are so much easier to service)- then a four-speed, late driveshafts, disc front end, floor handbrake.............
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Yes, I am at the start of a long and challenging journey. What a hoot!
    Sunroof likes this.

Tadpole

Got one! Thanks to all who helped with leads and information. I'll post under projects in the near future, as I make headway with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron from sa View Post
    Got one! Thanks to all who helped with leads and information. I'll post under projects in the near future, as I make headway with the car.
    Wow. Well done. Photos???
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information