• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By renojet

Thread: 4CV radiator blind. Advice please

Fellow Frogger!

Default 4CV radiator blind. Advice please

HI All

I am about to swap radiators on Reg, his original being leaky, so I had a spare re-cored ( excellent service again by Aussie Desert Coolers in Thomastown )

Reg is a 'sleeping beauty' who sat in a garage for 50 years. I got him back on the road October last year and am trying to keep him as close to original as is compatible with survival in semi-daily use around Melbourne.

I am about to remove old rad and install new. The radiator blind is stuck at the bottom but is jammed solid, so I can't raise it up on cold days or should I need whatever demisting facility he provides. I noted on the trip to Inverell with the old radiator that temp rarely got above 90, so with a new copper 3 core radiator running should be even cooler, probably too cool on occasions.

Usable blind would therefore be good.

Advertisement

HAs anybody successfully resuscitated one which has jammed? Any tips or warnings?

My guess is that if CRC etc toes not free it an untutored dismantling of the mechanism is likely to leave me with springs flying around my ears and something I can't reassemble. The other hard bit might be finding suitable substitutes for either the spring ( likely rusted ) or for the whole mechanism

It is just like the blinds in old houses, so this might be a way forward, but they work by a "pull down to unlock" system, whereas I think that the 4CV blind is simply a sprung roller without any one way or locking mechanisms.

Would be grateful for any insight from anybody who has done battle with these . It looks like a fair bit of dismantling and blasphemy is going to be needed to get the radiator out, so I might as well try to go in with some sort of a plan.

Best Wishes

Andrew

The new Maserati SUV has a Radiator Blind
    How things don't change
    Check one out at your nearest shopping centre

So do some 508s

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

1000+ Posts

try bunnings .you may have to de commission the locking mechanism ,i seem to recall that you can cut some to length , pugs

1000+ Posts

Zetor tractors had radiator blinds that are still available but may be too wide.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    The new Maserati SUV has a Radiator Blind
    How things don't change
    In the 1930’s, there were Packards that had active grille shutters. Today, there are manufacturers now using them https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/act...fficiency.html

I threw mine away in 1967. I take your point about demisting though. I ran one of those heater element devices with suction caps at one stage in Adelaide but the current draw was a bit much and it finally worked well about the time the journey ended....

I do have an inline thermostat device for the top hose, machined up, and haven't used it since I sorted my own overheating issues some years ago. I'll plan to take some photos for you as it takes a modern thermostat, with suitable holes drilled to let some flow through when it is shut.

Hope all's well in your camp.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi Andrew
    I have the blind off my car which won't be going back on. It's yours if you want it for the cost of postage or if you are going to the Mini Muster at Castlemaine I could take it there.
    Frank Wicks
    JohnW and J-man like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Dear John

Many thanks. Photos are impressive - a well thought out device, which has the virtue of being very simple

I may trouble you for drawings in a while, as have just acquired a new ( very old ) lathe and am beginning to try to learn how to make things go round and round in a straight line without wobbling too much. THis is proving taxing, so I’m not plotting any mission critical projects at the moment, but would like to have a go at making this.

Reg has been in garage for much of winter, mainly because of radiator leak, but also because the volume of mud and water up here recently has been such that it would be a risk to an unrestored/unsealed 4CV. New radiator about to go in once I have escaped the chain gang up here ( barrowing lotsa stones ) and should then be back in semi-daily use.

Best Wishes from Gulag Olinda

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I threw mine away in 1967. I take your point about demisting though. I ran one of those heater element devices with suction caps at one stage in Adelaide but the current draw was a bit much and it finally worked well about the time the journey ended....

I do have an inline thermostat device for the top hose, machined up, and haven't used it since I sorted my own overheating issues some years ago. I'll plan to take some photos for you as it takes a modern thermostat, with suitable holes drilled to let some flow through when it is shut.

Hope all's well in your camp.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post
    Dear John

Many thanks. Photos are impressive - a well thought out device, which has the virtue of being very simple

I may trouble you for drawings in a while, as have just acquired a new ( very old ) lathe and am beginning to try to learn how to make things go round and round in a straight line without wobbling too much. THis is proving taxing, so I’m not plotting any mission critical projects at the moment, but would like to have a go at making this.

Reg has been in garage for much of winter, mainly because of radiator leak, but also because the volume of mud and water up here recently has been such that it would be a risk to an unrestored/unsealed 4CV. New radiator about to go in once I have escaped the chain gang up here ( barrowing lotsa stones ) and should then be back in semi-daily use.

Best Wishes from Gulag Olinda

Andrew
    Hi Andrew,

Yes, it is neat. I'd make the spigots slightly smaller on reflection as they are a tiny bit too big for a genuine hose, but rather they are currently sized for that Barina hose that fits too.

I've just been plagued by what I reared was a small leak on my newly-recored radiator that in the end turned out to be tiny weeps from radiator hoses. Much cleaning of spigots and the use of top quality clamps, tighter than I'm used to, has fixed it. If you need a recore, let me know and I'll email you the article I wrote when I learned the hard way about modern cores and cooling 4CVs. Those with the new Chinese aluminium ones report good results but a bit of work needed to get the bottom mounts right. They don't come with a blind mount, come to think of it.

When you are up to speed with the lathe (I've always wanted to do that....) I'll post my housing over on loan so you have a real model to work with.

Good luck with the labouring!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information