175/70-13
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4cvg

Thread: 175/70-13

1000+ Posts

Default 175/70-13

I have long advocated 175/70-13 as the best size choice for 4.5" R12/15/17 wheels. I have also advocated Continental's EcoContact3 as the best wet-tyre choice in the size.

Continental have had it available, then not, then available again but now, it seems, not available again. Bummer!

Tyre retailers are still listing it so anyone at the tyre-change stage might wish to act swiftly.

Advertisement

cheers! Peter

Fellow Frogger!

A favourite of mine are the Michelin XAS FF (Formula France)
    My 4 cylinder A310 was fitted with 165 x 13 ( almost the same rolling dia as 175/70 )
    front and 185 x 13 rear as original equipment.
    I know memories are often askew, but they were fantastic back then.
    No replacement since has ever come close.
    The 165 is currently available - looks like an XAS but with current sticky compound.
    Alas the 185 are not listed.
    So i am faced with Yokies or Khumo of lower profile and consequently gearing mismatch.
    Tricky getting the same tread in different sizes.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    A favourite of mine are the Michelin XAS FF (Formula France)
    My 4 cylinder A310 was fitted with 165 x 13 ( almost the same rolling dia as 175/70 )
    front and 185 x 13 rear as original equipment.
    I know memories are often askew, but they were fantastic back then.
    No replacement since has ever come close.
    The 165 is currently available - looks like an XAS but with current sticky compound.
    Alas the 185 are not listed.
    So i am faced with Yokies or Khumo of lower profile and consequently gearing mismatch.
    Tricky getting the same tread in different sizes.
    Xas FF are nicely compounded but hopeless in any situation which threatens aquaplaning (Alpine fronts under wet braking from high speed?)

That said, you liked them.

13" is an orphan size now. The dearth of tyres is made worse if anyone wishes different sizes front & rear. The chances of getting a satisfactory set in one tyre type are poor yet as soon as one mixes types front to rear one gets into structural (slip angle) & compounding mismatches.

Options are very limited.

You could just fit the same size all round & pressure tune handling characteristics.

You could have a front/rear difference but in a different pair of sizes (&, again, pressure tune the handling balance). Within this option, keeping the front size to a reasonable width is an issue. So is thoughtful choice of rear tyre so that the width/aspect is not -ve camber unfriendly. Possibilities obtain within Avon's classic track day tyre offerings (CR6 ZZ & CR28 Sport). Gordon Leven Tyres is an Australian supplier.

All very dismal.

cheers! Peter

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Peter.

Actually driven the Alpine on autobahns at high speed in the wet.
    No problems at all with aquaplaning.
    Remember the FF's were a soft racing compound and those coming
    out of the factory are current technology racing compound.
    My searching with overseas suppliers confirms that the 185's will
    become available in a few months which is great news for me!
    This means I can keep my A310 perfectly original.
    Perhaps I could get sticky wider and lower profile Japanese tyres,
    but I don't think they would necessarily be much better overall.

Cheers, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    13" is an orphan size now. The dearth of tyres is made worse if anyone wishes different sizes front & rear. The chances of getting a satisfactory set in one tyre type are poor yet as soon as one mixes types front to rear one gets into structural (slip angle) & compounding mismatches.

Options are very limited.

cheers! Peter
    The old faithful 13" rim has extensive use on enthusiasts EH/HD/HR/Torana cars. Plus every trailer you see on road

Quick search on eBay with "175 70 13 tyres" yields 200 choices to pick from
    All from $60 to $300 dollars.

Any new rubber will be vastly better than any new old stock that is way past the use on the road date.
    Talk to your local tyre dealer and sure he will be able to help

1000+ Posts

On Xas:
    Yes, as I noted, the compounding of the FF is good & you might be fine at speed with full tread depth but it's basically a storage pattern, not a transmission pattern (best at the inner edges) & that is a worry as it wears.

I have memories of a glass plate comparison photo put out by Michelin upon release of the MXV. The comparison tyre was its predecessor, the XVS, & the photo was disquieting concerning the latter. Michelin then later remarked upon release of the MXV2 (which has a third longitudinal drainage channel) that the change was made to improve aquaplaning performance.

There is also the problem of lateral aquaplaning which calls more upon transverse channels, especially at the outer edge. Obviously the Xas has a problem here, one that the changes made to produce the XVS were meant to alleviate.

Personally, I'd sacrifice originality were a good alternative to be available but the cupboard of alternatives is a bit bare. I wouldn't happily use Xas on any light fronted vehicle but the FF is certainly the best of that breed. Bonne chance!

On 175/70-13:
    Obviously there are loads of 175/70-13 tyres still available. The issue is not that the size is dead (like the lamented 185/65 & near dead, like 185/60). The problem is a dearth of tyre types which are good in the wet & that quality is a decided "good thing" for the front of on R12/15/17 if being at all playful (or having an emergency swerve &/or brake).

cheers! Peter

Near dead 185/60 13 no way

What would all the Torana, Mazda MX5, RX 2 3 4 and 7 owners use on the road and track?

Even get semi slicks if you want https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NE....c100005.m1851

Also 180/65 13 many to choose https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...%2F60+13+tyres

Ok ,i have kept quiet for a long time on this issue of 13 inch tyres.i don't go by tyre reviews at all.i have previosly run khumo kh 17 very successfully in my not very slow r8 and was very happy with the performance of this tyre.i now run the updated version being the ku 27 ecowing and am wrapped so far.
    .no fancy pants paid tyre reviewer brand needed.just personal experience and driving skill according to conditions. There,ive said my piece.

1000+ Posts

185/60-13

I have not denied that tyres of some sort are available but just that tyres of a decent sort are. Look at what is listed on your links; I wouldn't fit them. YMMV.
    The size is of interest to me as it's what is on my warm Moke. Come date-expiry of my current tyres, I had intended to abandon the size in favour of the Conti 175/70 EC3 but a rethink will now have to occur.

175/70-13

I have not said that the remaining offerings in 175/70-13 are lethal rubbish but lamented the removal of the "best in size" offering. Of what remains, my short list is Bridgestone's EP150 & the Kumho KH27 mentioned. I have used neither but have recommended the KH27 as best available in 165/65-15 for Renault R8/R10 folk with 4-5" rims. That recommendation is based on the paucity of decent alternatives in oz as much as anything.

Data is from Tyre Reviews. I am bewildered by anyone who ignores the closest we have to objective appraisal of comparative tyre performance. Of course such data is of limited relevance if none of the better tyres are available in one's size but it still sounds cautions.

For anyone interested in objective appraisal, the link for the KH27 is below. Hit the "all tests" tab & browse.

I tend to ignore the user reviews on the site as one never knows what criteria of appraisal are being deployed. (And, as I've complained to Jonathon, the site owner, the collation of such review scores is a statistical abomination.)

Kumho Ecowing ES01 KH27 - Tyre Reviews

cheers! Peter
    cjl likes this.

Thread Information