RX4 brain dead?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: RX4 brain dead?

Default RX4 brain dead?

Hi guys, I thought I may be able to solve this but I'm still at a loss, so thought I'd consult the brains trust.

I moved this car last week, was starting and running fine, battery needed some TLC.
    So I decided to remove the battery and leave it charging for a couple of days.

Put the battery back in over the weekend and its nice and charged, but not firing.
    I can hear the fuel pump priming, the dash lights show as they should.

Further investigation I notice the immobiliser light is not lit or flashing when the ignition is not on, and the central locking seems dead, from both the switch and the key. With ignition off and key out, no lights on the dash!

This is not how my other (going) twin RX4 looks when the ignition is out, immobiliser flashes, and I have a time on the radio / dash.

I ran out of time and light this evening but will try a few things tomorrow.
    I do have a twin I could borrow known parts / diagnose with if need be.

Any experience / advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Sounds like the immobiliser chip in the key is not being recognised.
    Check the wiring going to the pickup coil near the ignition switch.
    I've not done it but there is a way to bypass the immobiliser.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

COL

The only things that I can think of is to check all fuses, also put a code reader on the car and see what codes you have.

Another thing you can try is to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes then reconnect and try to start the car.

Other than that I don't know.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Sounds like the immobiliser chip in the key is not being recognised.
    I'd agree, but the behaviour of the car (no immobiliser light when the ignition is off) lends me to think its nothing to do with the key, which is what you probably mean anyway.

Thanks Col, RTT, will try again in a few hours, check the fuses, pickup coil near the ignition switch, and try and find some info on the bypass.

I gave my OBDII clip away to someone as my Hyundai Sonata hasn't needed any computer diagnosis to fix it's faults so far (touch wood)

Time to order another!

David.
    Last edited by vivid; 2nd October 2019 at 12:53 PM.